Live and Learn - Hydraulic Couplers

/ Live and Learn - Hydraulic Couplers #1  

workinonit

Elite Member
Tractor
JD 5090E
I've lived most of my adolescent and adult life pulling, pushing and beating on ag style couplers on JD tractors. Back in the day some JD tractors were made easy by having a lever that locked and released the couplers. Naturally, that made too much sense or cost too much, anywho they got rid of them. So since then we have been relegated to shoving them in and snatching them out. Well, back in October I bought a new PHD from a local equipment auction. It had a SS hookup so I had to order a global to SS adapter to keep me from having to do a lot of fabbing. I ordered it and received it Monday. Nice piece from Bell Precision. Fit like it's supposed to. Got it all hooked up and hung and moved on to hydraulics. Flat face connectors. Never used them before. Never had an opinion about them. I do now. I decided to keep them on the PHD and now I think I'm changing everything on the 3rd function over to them. They are so much easier to operate that ag style. The PHD and LimbHog that's coming Monday will definitely have them.

Has anyone ever changed the back end of a JD over to them?

/ Live and Learn - Hydraulic Couplers #2  
I don't like the flat face ones because everything else on a tractor is ag style and converting every implement would be a pain in the wallet. But the primary reason is hydraulic lock. I had them on a snow plow and the first time I hooked them up, it was easy. The next and every time after I had to loosen the fitting to bleed off hydraulic backpressure. I have a friend who tore a tendon completely loose from above his elbow trying to hook up the flat fittings on a transfer trailer to his truck. He had been operating a transfer for years, but they had been equipped with ag type fittings, and he never had a problem with them.

/ Live and Learn - Hydraulic Couplers
I guess I have some more living and learning to do. Maybe these are so easy because they are on 3rd function implements and don't have any stored pressure. We shall see.

/ Live and Learn - Hydraulic Couplers #4  
The big advantage of FF couplers is that they are easier to clean, and drip less when disconnecting. They are much more expensive, and still subject to pressure problems like AG style couplers.

/ Live and Learn - Hydraulic Couplers #5  
I like Ag or Pioneer type better for more reasons than I like flat face.

/ Live and Learn - Hydraulic Couplers #7  
I'll stay with the "ag" or Pioneer style, diversity can kiss my ____.
I do use mostly the pressure relieving style male connectors;
1675975404621.png

1675975651701.png

That little poppet valve in the tip will help relieve pressure and make them easier to connect.

Last edited:
   / Live and Learn - Hydraulic Couplers
I'll report back after I've run these for a while. I learned my lesson long ago about disconnecting with pressure on. I try to relieve everything when I unhook.

/ Live and Learn - Hydraulic Couplers #9  
We must embrace diversity.
Okay, but I don't care how hard you try to make it work, trying to hook a female hydraulic hose to a female fitting on your tractor just isn't going to work. It works that way in electrical applications, among others, also.

/ Live and Learn - Hydraulic Couplers #10  
Okay, but I don't care how hard you try to make it work, trying to hook a female hydraulic hose to a female fitting on your tractor just isn't going to work. It works that way in electrical applications, among others, also.
There you go being couplerhobic. Hope your FB account doesn't get suspended.