LK3054 Power steering disassembly

/ LK3054 Power steering disassembly #21  
Sorry, the manual is not much help; under valve assembly heading; "1. Straighten the stake of lock nut. 2. Remove the lock nut, noting the worm shaft not to turning turning the worm shaft???? Remove the valve assembly from the worm shaft. When reassembling "Install the valve assembly. After tightening the lock nut by hand, stake the lock nut." As you can see, the manual is written in some sort of Kore-english code that I don't understand.

/ LK3054 Power steering disassembly
Sorry, the manual is not much help; under valve assembly heading; "1. Straighten the stake of lock nut. 2. Remove the lock nut, noting the worm shaft not to turning turning the worm shaft???? Remove the valve assembly from the worm shaft. When reassembling "Install the valve assembly. After tightening the lock nut by hand, stake the lock nut." As you can see, the manual is written in some sort of Kore-english code that I don't understand.

You're right, that isn't the best at explaining it! Thank you for taking the time out to find and post it. I think I will stick with the Kubota WSM and make sure the worm shaft is bottomed against the end cap. Comparing where my locknut sits with the new assembly to the one I took apart, it seems like the old assembly wasn't bottomed out against the end cap. That actually allowed for play in the thrust washers, and it ended up scoring some of the valve body and springs. I'm not sure if it was that way from the factory or from the previous owner, but hopefully the new one is assembled correctly.

I finished up reassembling the power steering unit last night and got it on the tractor. I have to clean up a few other things on the tractor before starting to reassemble everything there but hopefully I'll have a report if it worked or not by the end of the weekend.

Install bottom cover and circlip:

Wfz22DD.jpg

Install thrust washers onto worm shaft (2 on the bottom, one on top):

HUpWdLg.jpg

f5CmJuz.jpg

Don't forget the o-rings

VbDTqpW.jpg

Put valve body on top, turn worm shaft clockwise until it bottoms out in the bottom cover and the ball carrier is at the top of the cylinder. Place top thrust washer and thread locknut onto worm shaft. Thread only hand tight then stake the locknut into the worm shaft provisions.

uX5Obfd.jpg

Installed top cover with new oil seal, although the part number from Kubota was too small. I put some gasket maker around it, we'll see. Torqued to 30 ft/lbs.

Ec9YQQb.jpg

Installed sector shaft, outside oil seal, and outside cover with new o-ring.

j5n1yIm.jpg

h9klBNW.jpg

I ordered the seal and bushing that go into the top steering shaft, and was surprised to find 2 ball bearings, what appeared to be a spacer in-between them and and oil seal in there. All that was in the parts breakdown was a bushing and oil seal, so I took out all the bearings and replaced them with the bushing and oil seal. The oil seal didn't fit the best but with some percussive persuasion it went on.

GU5fOjp.jpg

v5sJxjv.jpg

Install top steering shaft and it looks like a power steering unit again

5JrynPq.jpg

Installed on tractor

yTzMi7T.jpg

Well I got it fired up on Friday and sure enough the oil seal that was too small in the upper cover started spitting out hydraulic fluid.

I dug the old seal out of the trash and it read NOK AP1003E. Timken cross reference is 222028. I ordered a replacement and should be here this week.