Load leveler

/ Load leveler #11  
I want to make my loader attachment a self-leveling unit as it raises and lowers. Are plans available? Maybe just the math to figure out how to make it?

Are you thinking something like the Deere Mechanical Self-Leveling (MSL) Loader option?

/ Load leveler #12  
Are you thinking something like the Deere Mechanical Self-Leveling (MSL) Loader option?

Self-leveling is pretty sophisticated. There has to be a provision to add and subtract fluid from the curl cylinders as the lift arms go up and down. Kubota makes one, so does JD. I don't know if it is an option or just comes with some loaders.
rScotty

/ Load leveler #13  
Yeah, there may be others I'm not familiar with - AFAIK, the 580B may be the only one that used a hydraulic cylinder (unless earlier models had it) - but the later 580C replaced the hydraulic cylinder with a linkage that biased the joystick's curl mechanism - here's a pic of a 580C, the long rod that's attached to the bucket's "bell crank" arms and goes back to the cab area is what replaced the cylinder type. Probably a cost-cutting measure, one less cylinder required

It's conceivable that the later (mechanical) version of self level might be adaptable to other loaders, but it'd sure be an "interesting" project (phrase stolen from a Chinese fortune cookie :geek:) ... Steve

/ Load leveler #14  
Self-leveling is pretty sophisticated. There has to be a provision to add and subtract fluid from the curl cylinders as the lift arms go up and down.
Not if it is mechanical self-leveling: mechanical self-leveling loader - Image Search

msl.jpg

/ Load leveler #16  
Right - I saw that concept used to mod a cherry picker to work as a drywall lift; a counterweight at the rear, and the lift arm(s) were long enough to put a sheet about 10 feet up and level... Steve

/ Load leveler #17  
That was the reason for my question to the OP. Not a lot of math involved. It’s basically two parallelograms working in concert on each side.

It seems the problems are always in the details. For normal loader work we don't want a self leveling bucket; instead, we want adjustable bucket tilt during fill, breakout, lift, and dump.

So the mechanical self-leveling system needs to engage and disengage from the cab...how to do that?
And how to make it adjustable for angles other than horizontal?

A slave cylinder with its own control valve that is worked by a rod to the bucket pivot is one way. Although by the time we hang that much rattling hardware out there on the loader arm, we might as well replace the rod with a simple cam at the lift arm pivot.

/ Load leveler #18  
It seems the problems are always in the details. For normal loader work we don't want a self leveling bucket; instead, we want adjustable bucket tilt during fill, breakout, lift, and dump.

So the mechanical self-leveling system needs to engage and disengage from the cab...how to do that?
And how to make it adjustable for angles other than horizontal?

A slave cylinder with its own control valve that is worked by a rod to the bucket pivot is one way. Although by the time we hang that much rattling hardware out there on the loader arm, we might as well replace the rod with a simple cam at the lift arm pivot.

The Deere MSL option can still be used for normal loader work. The hydraulic cylinders can still curl the bucket. Unless manually curling the bucket, the option keeps the bucket in it’s same relative position when being raised or lowered.

Since I don’t do a lot of pallet work I have no use for it. If I did a lot of pallet work I would buy a forklift.

/ Load leveler #20  
The Deere MSL option can still be used for normal loader work. The hydraulic cylinders can still curl the bucket. Unless manually curling the bucket, the option keeps the bucket in it’s same relative position when being raised or lowered.

Since I don’t do a lot of pallet work I have no use for it. If I did a lot of pallet work I would buy a forklift.

Then I wonder what's the operational difference between hydraulic and manual self loading? Jd's MSL looks clever enough. There's enough monkey motion going on to warm the heart of any mechanical type. More green paint, too.

Hmm... does the bucket rotate through the same number of degrees as the non-MSL? Roughly 45 degrees curl up and down from horizontal? Lots of rotation is handy too.
rScotty