Loaded Tire Removal and Reinstallation

/ Loaded Tire Removal and Reinstallation #11  
I’ve been looking for a reason to buy one of these:

IMG_1827.JPG

Just in case I need to change a tractor tire. Hahaha

/ Loaded Tire Removal and Reinstallation #12  
I agree with Newbury. Do it on concrete if at all possible. It’s much easier to slide the tire slightly to align it. And have a big lever handy to assist. And as he said, keep it vertical. Never let it tip. Two or three people can do that.

/ Loaded Tire Removal and Reinstallation #13  
I thought about using a pallet jack, just wasn't sure how I would keep the tire from tipping. Maybe I'll make a custom short pallet that I can slide onto the jack first that has a vertical frame that I can strap the tire to such that the tire will sit directly on the pallet jack and this custom pallet will be between the jack and the tire. This may be my best option since I know I can borrow a pallet jack from work for the weekend when I'm ready.

the best of this idea I got from a man with a one man shop at his house, he took a pallet jack, shortened it to about 30" long, welded an upright guard to it to strap the tire to so it couldn't fall. Then he welded two rollers running long ways on the forks so if things moved he could rotate the tire to line up the studs. I need to go up there and get a picture, I will have one for myself! I've seen him work with loaded 38's with no problem

/ Loaded Tire Removal and Reinstallation #14  
The pallet jack and engine hoist are neat ideas, I use a chain hoist on a trolley.

/ Loaded Tire Removal and Reinstallation #15  
the best of this idea I got from a man with a one man shop at his house, he took a pallet jack, shortened it to about 30" long, welded an upright guard to it to strap the tire to so it couldn't fall. Then he welded two rollers running long ways on the forks so if things moved he could rotate the tire to line up the studs. I need to go up there and get a picture, I will have one for myself! I've seen him work with loaded 38's with no problem

You can buy commercial versions for semi tires and large tractor tires. They have the rollers to rotate the tire to line up bolt holes too.

/ Loaded Tire Removal and Reinstallation #16  
I致e been looking for a reason to buy one of these:

View attachment 566043

Just in case I need to change a tractor tire. Hahaha
I think it would be cheaper to have your dealer or a farm field service outfit do the change for you. ;)

But hey, new toys are fun to have but can be very, very expensive. :D

/ Loaded Tire Removal and Reinstallation #17  
I need to remove the loaded rear tires to install wheel spacers. They weigh 700-800 lbs each. Anyone here had to remove loaded tires and how did you do it while minimizing the risk of the tire falling over and not being able to stand it back up?

Get a chain hoist and do the job safely. Don't rely on yourself and a buddy to handle that kind of weight.
I bought my hoist from Harbor Freight for $500. If you can't afford proper equipment or don't have floor space to do the job safely, drain the tires.

MM-BF rear tire gantry (Medium).JPGMM-BF gantry.JPG

Good luck and be careful out there.

/ Loaded Tire Removal and Reinstallation #18  
Over 30 years ago when I was young - and stupid - I pulled the loaded rear tires on my 1982 Ford 1710. I almost got caught under the falling tire and got squished. What a PITA to get that tire back to vertical. Those rears were 11.2 x 24 with 220# of CaCl solution.

My current tractor - 2009 Kubota M6040 has around 800 pounds of RimGuard in each tire - plus the tire, plus the rim. They are - 16.9 x 28 6 ply Firestone.

There is no way in God's green earth that I would attempt anything without something like flusher recommends. Actually - I would do it the easy way - - call my friends at Les Schwab Tires - have them bring out a service truck, with a crane, and let them handle the tires. Cold beers all around when the job is finished.

My concern, out here, I get caught under a tire like one of my filled rear tires - - its a question of what would happen first - - would I die and rot away OR would I die and the coyotes clean up the mess. My nearest neighbor is 4.5 miles away. I SELDOM have cell phone service and I'll never get land line service. I'm pretty dam remote out here.

/ Loaded Tire Removal and Reinstallation #19  
Two of us swapped the rears (16.9-30) loaded tires on two Ford 4600's. Heavy, but doable. Just jack tractor so tire is just barely off the ground, and walk the wheel off. Don't lean it, because if it decides to fall, it's going to fall. Don't try to stop it if it does, just let it go. Installation is pretty straight forward. Roll tire up, lower jack a little, lean tire in a little to get the top wheel stud through the rim, and start the lug nut. Jack tractor back up a little, and wheel should drop onto the rest of the studs.

/ Loaded Tire Removal and Reinstallation #20  
The ONE thing that must be stressed - changing loaded tires. KEEP THE DARN THING VERTICAL - AT ALL COSTS. The point showcattle makes is very valid - if the tire starts to go - let it go. Its an awful lot harder to get a filled tire vertical again when its lying on a body.