Tires Loaded tires vs hanging implements?

/ Loaded tires vs hanging implements? #1  

scoutcub

Veteran Member
Tractor
Yanmar LX4900//Cub 7532//Cub Yanmar SC2400//Komatsu D38//Cub Volunteer//Cub SZ60/CAT 289C/CAT 308
Ok, looking for some reasonable experienced answers here.
I'm getting ready to (finally) move the tractors down to the property to start some land clearing and other numerous tasks.
I've read the numerous threads about loading tires with rimgaurd, beet juice, molasses, beer, etc, but the burning question is.....is it that much better than if you have a 3-pt implement? I can see the argument if you are doing loader work with nothing back there...but a harrow/rake/mower/backhoe isn't enough? Or, how about just hanging a weight box if no implement is being used?
Is it a matter of convenience? Are there no typically no wheel weights for compacts?
I'm just trying to get the reasoning down in my sometimes-slow brain housing group.....
TIA!

/ Loaded tires vs hanging implements? #2  
Well I think it also adds to the traction factor as well ... say for example if the boxblade is being used those fluid filled tires seem to squat and dig better. Plus its so convienent not to have to back up to your implement for weight its already there in the tires.

I saw where someone had adapted suitcase weights to the 3 point hitch for weight ...

/ Loaded tires vs hanging implements? #3  
my opinion is it adds weight, some of which is quite low, thereby adding stability. Also just plain adding weight period above and beyond the weight added by implements

/ Loaded tires vs hanging implements? #4  
my opinion is it adds weight, some of which is quite low, thereby adding stability. Also just plain adding weight period above and beyond the weight added by implements

I agree, having weight down low really helps with stability. The downside is flat tires and the loss of the ballast material which can be $$. It also makes the tractor heavier all the time which can be an issue if it is used for finish mowing as there is no way to remove the weight other than draining the tires. I have also heard that it can cause traction issues as the tires have a lot less give to them when filled with fluid so they have trouble hooking up.

My previous tractor, B3030, had loaded rears which helped as it was a cab tractor and there was a lot of weight up high on it. My current L3240 does not have loaded rears and I just use a ballast box on the 3pt.

/ Loaded tires vs hanging implements? #5  
Ok, looking for some reasonable experienced answers here.
I'm getting ready to (finally) move the tractors down to the property to start some land clearing and other numerous tasks.
I've read the numerous threads about loading tires with rimgaurd, beet juice, molasses, beer, etc, but the burning question is.....is it that much better than if you have a 3-pt implement? I can see the argument if you are doing loader work with nothing back there...but a harrow/rake/mower/backhoe isn't enough? Or, how about just hanging a weight box if no implement is being used?
Is it a matter of convenience? Are there no typically no wheel weights for compacts?
I'm just trying to get the reasoning down in my sometimes-slow brain housing group.....
TIA!

Oh heck no. There's wheel weights for compacts. Might be the best way for you if you need to remove the weight after your dirt work is done if you mow on soft lawns.

My experience is once they're on, they usually stay on. The other thing is that you can put too much weight on the back. I'm pretty sure my L-39 was restricted for wheel weights because the backhoe was so heavy. So if you fill your tires, you might be restricted on using a backhoe if it's heavy enough. Check your owner's manual on that-I could be mistaken.

/ Loaded tires vs hanging implements? #6  
3pt implements can be ok for ballast depending on how you use the machine. Much of my land is sloping, and much of my seat time is ground engaging work, and when traveling with a bucket full of damp yellow clay about 6 inches off the ground, I nearly rolled my tractor a couple of times when the box blade would shift a few inches to the downhill side and then abrubtly stop. Loading my rear R-4s with calcium solved 80% of the tippiness on my slopes when used with the boxblade.

The downside is that when hauling the tractor with a B hog or box blade attached to the 3pt, It takes more effort to get the load balanced correctly on a trailer, as it is real easy to make the tongue to light when you pull on forward, or to heavy when backing on.

Another Downside is puncturing a tire, last summer I tore a valve stem out of my rear R-4 when stuck to the axles in mud. I lost about 20 gal. of calcium in my swamp, and to this day, not much grows in that spot. Calcium is great weed kiler, but not to good for mother nature or steel. I have had to replace both valve cores in my rear inner tubes already because they were rotted out, and my rims are probably gonna be shot in 5 or 6 more years. That being said, I am still glad I loaded the rears, and consider rims every 9 or 10 years to be an acceptable sacrifice for the benefit of loaded tire traction in my case.

/ Loaded tires vs hanging implements? #7  
calsium has the best density but,as pointed out, corrosion is a problem. my dealer loaded my rears (TC-35) with water and anti-freeze. little or nor corrosion issues. loaded tires are a near necessity if you want to max out your FEL

/ Loaded tires vs hanging implements? #9  
We load our tires with Windshield Washer Fluid around here. You know, the blue stuff that is good to -25. I did mine myself with my neighbors tow behind sprayer for his lawn tractor and a adapter valve I got at Napa. If you watch the ads you can get it on sale for around $1 a gallon.

By the way I also have wheel weights on the rear tires and 4 suit case weight on the front. The biggest problem of doing loader work with a bush hog on the rear or something else is maneuvering. I do a lot of logging and that extra 6' of length can make it hard in the woods. I made a cheap 3 point ballast weight for this purpose.

Chris

Attachments

• weight.jpg
    weight.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 138
   / Loaded tires vs hanging implements? #10  
I wanted to load the tires on my backhoe, but the dealer advised against it, and I have come to understand why--can't really move the rear end with the hoe if the tires are loaded.