Tires Loaded Tires

/ Loaded Tires #1  

Gregster613

Platinum Member
Southern Ca. halfway up a mountain in rural Ramona
Tractor
273 TYM. 2009 //Yardmachines 7 Speed Shift-on-the-goScotts L2048
Hi guys,
Different subject, and fantastic results!
Last saturday it was raining here so I decided to get around to a task I'd been debating to do or not - Load my rear tires - well I decided to see what would happen and it was really a simple job. I experimented first by loading up my lawn mower tires and it was so easy to do I kept chugging along and did the 273 next. All I can say is - WoW - what a difference!!

The only thing I didn't like was that I couldn't find a source for winter blend WW fluid. It appears that they don't even stock it at the auto shops here in Southern Ca. That was a bummer to learn. I had intended to add at least 3 - 4 gallons per tire. Just to be on the safe side. We sometimes will get frost here, but it's gone as soon as the sun comes out. So I should be OK anyhow. Just wanted it known that I did plan on freeze prevention, orginally.

It stopped raining on Sunday; my neighbors horse pasture had several posts broken off so I offered to dig him some new holes (he's an older gent who wouldn't have been capable to dig them by hand). I went over with the PH digger to plunge him some new holes and what a greasy, sloppy mess the pasture was! It must have been 1' - 2' deep with top-slop. While I admit it was awful slippery [whole tractor slid somewhat while turning/manuvering] but the traction I had while back-dragging the slop from the gate pathway {with loader} was incredible! I know that I'd have just spun out and not have been able to do anything without the extra traction I had from the loaded rears.

I've been doing a fair bit of work around my place with my box-blade lately and I'm so impressed at the additional traction that I can hardly wait until it dries up some more and I can re-use my box-blade again. I've gotten a rather stout chunk of wood that I plan to somehow anchor onto the BB for weight and now I'm really excited to see how much more it'll bit and I can drag. I believe it's a good thing to make that TYM really snort while it's in it's break-in zone. Gets everything seated and broken in @ the serious work zone. I was extremely happy and had a bunch of fun seat time on Sunday.
Happy tractorin' to all.........Greg

/ Loaded Tires #2  
I agree you should be fine that far south with the regular blend wwf. How did you end up going about filling your tires. I broke the bead on one side and just poured it in. Much faster than pumping through the valve stem. The biggest thing I have noticed is that heavy loader work doesn't bring my rear off the ground like it used too. Traction has improved as well and still does not rut soft lawns much.

/ Loaded Tires #3  
Question for you guys. After loading your tires :thumbsup:, have you found that the tractor rides better, the same, or worse?

Just wondering?

/ Loaded Tires #4  
On my T300 it made a huge difference in having ballast put in. It used to bounce me all over the place and when I ran over low-ground stumps it would tip the tractor a bit, but now the ride is much better and it doesn't try to tip on low obstacles.
I didn't notice any extra mashing or rutting in my yard as I also use a 6' finish mower to mow most of 6 acres.
I had an ethanol blend put in at a local tire repair/dealer and it was only $125 for both tires to include the new metal valve stems made for fluid.
It is well worth the $$ to do it.

If I were to have had access to the Rim Guard, I would have used it. It is nearly as heavy as the old Calcium mix and is environmentally safe. I just don't have anyone in my area that carries it. Here is their website: Rim Guard - Liquid Tire Ballast

Good Luck.

/ Loaded Tires #5  
I have rim guard in the rear tires on my Scorpion T300 and makes a big diference. With a loader on the only way to go is with loaded rear tires. It makes it safer as the back end doesnt bounce like it did before loading the tires when I had a load in the bucket. It also has a better bide now. I can even lift more without having the back end of the tractor off the ground. I know it relieves some of the stress on the front axle as the rear tires help giving more traction. :thumbsup:

/ Loaded Tires
Hi.....
MYYAZ33, I used the valve stem method, via that air/H2O valve attachment. I didn't wanna have-to hand-handle loaded rears; or even attempt to mess with breaking the bead. My choice of methods may have been slower, but it was efficient!! Thanks for your views/insights on how the tractor handles after transformation. I haven't enough seat time yet since filling to properly access an opinion yet.

Brian, my last statement above is the only answer I can offer you at this time. Once the ground dries up somewhat around here and I can strout around with some of my various attachments hanging off the back; then I can offer an honest opinion.

My short-term feeling is that it feels much, much stouter/stabler. As if the tire treads are actually [like bare feet/toes] pinching the very ground! While I worked it in my neighbors horse pasture/mud I still spun some but I only had the PHD on the rear. No other weight than PHD. So I feel it's a big improvement; can only wait to see how it handles with the BB on back! Driving 1/2 block & back is all I got for transportation feelings and it felt much more squater (sp)to the ground than before. I liked the feel.
My thoughts.....Greg

/ Loaded Tires #7  
Question for you guys. After loading your tires :thumbsup:, have you found that the tractor rides better, the same, or worse?

Just wondering?

Hi.....
MYYAZ33, I used the valve stem method, via that air/H2O valve attachment. I didn't wanna have-to hand-handle loaded rears; or even attempt to mess with breaking the bead. My choice of methods may have been slower, but it was efficient!! Thanks for your views/insights on how the tractor handles after transformation. I haven't enough seat time yet since filling to properly access an opinion yet.

Brian, my last statement above is the only answer I can offer you at this time. Once the ground dries up somewhat around here and I can strout around with some of my various attachments hanging off the back; then I can offer an honest opinion.

My short-term feeling is that it feels much, much stouter/stabler. As if the tire treads are actually [like bare feet/toes] pinching the very ground! While I worked it in my neighbors horse pasture/mud I still spun some but I only had the PHD on the rear. No other weight than PHD. So I feel it's a big improvement; can only wait to see how it handles with the BB on back! Driving 1/2 block & back is all I got for transportation feelings and it felt much more squater (sp)to the ground than before. I liked the feel.
My thoughts.....Greg
I think you need an instant impression to fairly answer Brians question...cuz you get used to it quick. I will be filling my tires again this weekend [I drain water in the winter]. From past experience filled tires feel better. I will revisit the experience and post about it.
larry

/ Loaded Tires #8  
The reason that I asked the ride question is that on my Mahinda 7520, the tractor ride is waaaaay better with the tires filled in my opinion. But with my Mahindra 3215, I did not really notice any ride difference at all. Now both are day and night difference as far as operating performance. I doubt that I would ever have a utility type tractor without loaded tires, the performance difference is just to great to be without the loaded tires in my opinion. ;)

/ Loaded Tires #9  
I think you need an instant impression to fairly answer Brians question...cuz you get used to it quick. I will be filling my tires again this weekend [I drain water in the winter]. From past experience filled tires feel better. I will revisit the experience and post about it.
larry
yeah, just filled mine --- all 4 Ags about 90% on the 7520. About a 2000 pound increase in tractor weight. It definitely does not feel bumpier or harsher. It feels more solid. Quieter rolling on gravel. I am able to drop front tire pressure from 30 to 20psi for heavy loader work so now I just run 20 all the time. Gives a good ride compared to 30 and squats no more under a heavy bucket.
larry

/ Loaded Tires #10  
What attachment do you use to fill your tires? I have a DK45S that I'd like to load the tires. Ag tires. Any advantage to loading fronts also/disadvantages-that maybe I haven't thought of? Any preferred liquid- this is in Iowa. Thanks