Loader hoses

/ Loader hoses #12  
I would call before taking a hose to a local shop. I made the mistake of just getting one hose made for my front mount snow blower (about 10' long 1/4 hose and fittings). I dropped it off and came back to pick it up an hour later along with a bill for almost $140. The same hose on-line was about $40 plus shipping.

/ Loader hoses #13  
Every high pressure hydraulic hose I've ever seen will have a rubber outer covering and a steel braid inner core. So long as the steel braided inner core is not compromised in anyway, I'd say don't fret about it.

Like was s stated previously, Discount Hydraulic Hose or even your local NAPA with a Weatherhead crimping machine will be substantially less than Messicks will be. Besides, they like to really stick you on ship costs.

if you have a Motion Industries or a Parker store handy, they will also be able to make up any hose and fittings you require, on the spot.

/ Loader hoses #14  
Check around. Quality varies these days. I like the peace of mind of using top grade hoses and fittings. I use our local hydraulic shop. He buys mostly Parker & name brands. The difference in cost seems minor.

You can buy braided nylon sleeving to fit over your new hoses and reduce the sun damage.

Here at high altitude the sun eats rubber. I bought some rolls of 1" braided sleeve from Amazon and am now adding sleeves when I replace hoses. I keep thinking that I should make up some tire covers too.
rScotty

/ Loader hoses #15  
Here at high altitude the sun eats rubber. I bought some rolls of 1" braided sleeve from Amazon and am now adding sleeves when I replace hoses. I keep thinking that I should make up some tire covers too.
rScotty
Not a bad idea. Mine are kept inside when not used. Could still use some for chafe areas.

/ Loader hoses #16  
I'll second the on line hoses. Chances are that your hoses will show you a problem before a complete failure but I understand your concerns. There are only 2 lines that are for the lift (extend) side of the main lift cylinders where failure could really crash and be dangerous. These 2 are where I'd start and not feel like I was waisting money.
Take one end of this hose off and identify its thread/type via a little internet education and pictures. Then just to be sure, do the same at the other end. You'll want to get very close in overall length when ordering.

/ Loader hoses #17  
Sleeving - I use the Techflex brand, so far only used the slide-on version

I got the 1-1/2" version for my 30A spool gun AND one for the plasma torch (cheaper than a new cable by far) - I haven't tried the wrap around type yet. The sleeve type works like one of the old chinese finger puzzles, you can push it together to stretch over obstacles (like the clunky ends on spool guns/plasma torches.)

For the torch covers the 1-1/2" version was perfect - that "chinese finger puzzle" effect works both ways, I found that a 25' length could be massaged out to about 28' (took 3-4 "massages" to get all the slop out, left a couple feet at the gun end to keep some flex. Only left that short "whip" near the gun to hafta watch out for.

I'll probably try some of the "wrap" type for hoses when I do them, seems like it'd be less of a PITA... Steve

/ Loader hoses #18  
I've had loader hoses made at two different local shops, one was reasonably priced, the other was very high. Neither shop had the same hex size fitting that are on my original hoses. This causes a problem in some cases because the fittings are very close together and can interfere with each other. My Kubota dealer was actually cheaper than the other two shops and made them while I waited with the same size hex fittings. The problem with the dealer is that they're 35 miles from my house.

When I've had hoses fail, they failed with a pinhole size leak and the loader never dropped at all. I just smelled the fluid and then saw the leak. I'm sure they could fail catastrophically but it hasn't happened to me. Knock on Wood.

/ Loader hoses
OP here. I hear everybody about local hydraulic shops. Unfortunately I live at the corner of Middle and Nowhere and the closest shop is 50 miles. I have bought hoses from Discount for my TNT and have been happy with those purchases. I used the Messicks price so I could quickly get a cost without having to measure every hose, determining coupling type etc.

I might just replace the lift hoses to be safe. Twelve hoses, if I replace all is about $41 per hose. I’m sure Discount could beat that.

/ Loader hoses #20  
And build yourself a little shade for the old gal. 😁
I'm not in your climate but believe that endless sunshine is not far off from rain and snow in terms of "the elements".