Loader joystick cable break

/ Loader joystick cable break #31  
Here are three pictures that help illustrate the situation.

The first picture shows my jury rigged solution to hold the sheath in place. It actually worked for a couple of months until the new joystick/cable arrangement came and I found time to change it. With hind site, there are better and more permanent "jury rigs" I am sure.

Picture 2 shows the cable removed and the sleeve pulled back. Notice the sheath construction of straight wires surrounded by a spiral wrap covered with rubber. Also notice the inner cable construction of a spiral wound metal band.

Picture 3 shows the sleeve pulled into position. At the end of the inner cable is a threaded rod that screws into the ball arrangement on the joystick. I seriously doubt this metal rod has came detached on your cable. I think everything on mine looks similar to the situation you have.

More notes: I doubt very seriously that you can even disconnect the cable from the joystick without also disconnecting it at the other (hydraulic controls) end. And I am still not sure how you would disassemble the joystick. I can now see why Branson sells the cables/joystick unit as one item and not separately. The whole arrangement is so esoteric and complicated, the average mechanic could probably not change a cable alone without a great deal of frustration. I highly suggest you try my solution of a plastic tubing sleeve clamped in place to hold the sheath to the sleeve. Use 4 miniature clamps just to be safe (2 on the sleeve, 2 on the cable. All as close together as possible.) This can be done with the cable in place and no disassembly. Otherwise you will have a major jigsaw puzzle type of repair that would be difficult to re-adjust correctly if you did figure out how to tear it all apart..

Attachments

• cable 1.jpg
    cable 1.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 87
  • cable 2.jpg
    cable 2.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 69
  • cable 3.jpg
    cable 3.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 75
   / Loader joystick cable break #32  
You gotta get the cable out and on a hard surface to use that crimper. If the cable needs to come out of either replace or try. Drilling some holes in the crimp area, put wire back in, crimp a bit then weld the drilled holes to the cabling.
I don't think I would try to crimp it. (Just my opinion). Tony is right, you'd have to get the cable out to crimp it, which is a sizable hassle. Second I would worry about binding up the inner cable from crimping enough to make it hold. Those inner wires on the sheath are loose and are not bound together by anything by the spiral winding that is now compromised, so they wouldn't crimp well)

But as Tony suggests; drilling holes in the sleeve and welding (or soldering might be preferred) the wires to the sleeve may be an excellent solution but has risks involved doing it right, (would take a fairly high level of skill to not over, or under, apply solder) and also likely requires cable removal. I'd probably do that if the tube and clamp method failed. Asteral may help us on this, but I don't think you can buy a cable alone, which makes repair a more desirable option unless money is no object. Good luck and keep us posted.

/ Loader joystick cable break
Here are three pictures that help illustrate the situation.

The first picture shows my jury rigged solution to hold the sheath in place. It actually worked for a couple of months until the new joystick/cable arrangement came and I found time to change it. With hind site, there are better and more permanent "jury rigs" I am sure.

Picture 2 shows the cable removed and the sleeve pulled back. Notice the sheath construction of straight wires surrounded by a spiral wrap covered with rubber. Also notice the inner cable construction of a spiral wound metal band.

Picture 3 shows the sleeve pulled into position. At the end of the inner cable is a threaded rod that screws into the ball arrangement on the joystick. I seriously doubt this metal rod has came detached on your cable. I think everything on mine looks similar to the situation you have.

More notes: I doubt very seriously that you can even disconnect the cable from the joystick without also disconnecting it at the other (hydraulic controls) end. And I am still not sure how you would disassemble the joystick. I can now see why Branson sells the cables/joystick unit as one item and not separately. The whole arrangement is so esoteric and complicated, the average mechanic could probably not change a cable alone without a great deal of frustration. I highly suggest you try my solution of a plastic tubing sleeve clamped in place to hold the sheath to the sleeve. Use 4 miniature clamps just to be safe (2 on the sleeve, 2 on the cable. All as close together as possible.) This can be done with the cable in place and no disassembly. Otherwise you will have a major jigsaw puzzle type of repair that would be difficult to re-adjust correctly if you did figure out how to tear it all apart..
Thank you, that is a big help. You definitely can't get the cable/ball assembly out without disconnecting the other end. I was thinking removing the hex bolt that screws in from the bottom where the cables enter would somehow let that happen but it only does something to the pivoting ball that isn't connected to a cable. Disconnecting the other end allow you to slide the cable in enough to get the ball out of the Triangular Joint as Short Line calls it. It's described in a writeup by dhattaway here which I had read and promptly forgot that rather crucial tidbit.

I tried the plastic tubing thing and it didn't work but only used a pair of clamps and plan to try again as another issue popped up. See photo, the one in the middle is how it looked when I first had the problem, since then it all got messed with in various ways. When I tried the tubin g fix, I tried to make sure the cable-looking sheath ends were in the ferrule as well as I could but when I disassembled the tubing/hose clamps, the cable had slipped down and up with some strands outside the ferrule. Not sure how that happened. One issue I didn't think of at the time is the correct length to screw the ferrule back into the body and also, I need to make sure the ball is set so that the locking slot is aligned, in the left photo it's clearly not and I'm not sure how any of this was exactly set when I tried the fix. See the videos, taken after I disassembled the tubing but I don't think it behaved much differently with it on. There's the play in the side-to-side [curling] direction and you can hear the way it sounds when I try to uncurl, there's a decided 'thunk' sound, it's a hard stop, not sure what to make of that.

So what I'm going to do is try the fix again with 4 clamps, making sure the ball slot is aligned. use a lot of clamping pressure as per your suggestion, and think about welding/soldering/brazing as plan B or C or whatever. My welding skills are best summed up by saying I've become an expert grinder, but the way this looks is actually something I'm more likely to do well, it's precision and steadiness of hand that are beyond my abilities and this would probably be best done with short small-area welds. The video has 'stabilized' in its title for a reason, it was my second attempt and was stabilized in Premier and it still sucks. Appar3ently, youtube does its own stabilizing and better than Premier. I'm putting both here because for some reason there's no sound on the premier edited version. You wouldn't want to see the actual original.

Edit: I can only see two videos here in edit, tried to add a third one still saw just two so added again, on posting they're both there abut since I can only see two, I can't delete the extra. Don't have a clue what's up with that.
Edit 2: I see, it was sticking them in the middle of the post, never mind.

Thanks for all the help folks.
cable-positions.jpg

Last edited:
   / Loader joystick cable break #36  
I wouldn't recommend operating that joystick with that cable sheath out of the sleeve. Once you bend up those wires in the sheath the game for repair is probably over. You have to get it all back together and at the same length as it was originally, and come up with a way to hold it there.

/ Loader joystick cable break #38  
The cables are pull/push. So not only do you need to get the housing properly seated in the ferrule, but you need to get it to stay in there when the cable is being pushed and the housing wants to pull out.

I looked at my 3725's valve and it's got the allen screws holding in the "hat" and the locknut just like in the video. So it probably disassembles similarly. I think you could remove the cable from the valve. Then pull the cable out of the housing from the joystick end. Then you can epoxy the housing into the ferrule. Or weld it but welding to wires seems problematic. Once the epoxy cures you can drill out any epoxy that got inside the housing and would interfere with the cable, re-insert the cable, and reattach it to the valve.

Unfortunately at least on the 3725 the cables come into the valve from the center of the tractor and it's crowded in there. I think on newer 20 series they changed the orientation of the valve to make the cable run straighter.

/ Loader joystick cable break
That's the way it is on mine, it's not at all easy to get to. There's a plate just forward of the valve block that would come off easily enough that would help a lot but it looks like just 2 bolts hold the main valve block body whatever it's called to a plate and removing those would make things a lot easier if it comes to that. BUT, how much play there would be and how easy it would be to actually move and then get back into the right position, ??? Anyone dealt with that?

/ Loader joystick cable break #40  
I obviously had to disconnected the cables at the bottom end when I changed the whole assembly. They are hard to get to. They are confusing but if you pay attention and use common sense you can figure it out. It has been so long that I don't remember what was involved well enough to describe what to do. It is like a lot of things, start doing it, don't be afraid to make mistakes, and it will get done. It seems to me that when it is all said and done the final adjustment is best done at the bottom. I remember that I didn't remove the valve assembly. I thought about it but decided that would not be easy either.