Loader Quick Attach Repair Question - Idea

/ Loader Quick Attach Repair Question - Idea #1  

dlctcg

Platinum Member
Tractor
New Holland TC40D, Lull 400, IR SP-48 Roller
Without going into a lot detail... I messed up (not due to abuse) & in-turn the loader quick attach bent. I know it is not a heavy duty unit, its what was on the tractor & we have never had any issues with it, as our loader is not that heavy duty of a unit either, we respect its limits.

I'm not a fabricator & I would consider myself a grinder & not a welder (even though my welds hold), but I need this back in working conditions so any input would be helpful.

So, my thought is to leave it on the machine & cut the center support tube on either end; I'm thinking like 3" - 4" from each QA bracket ends.
Then measuring the inside diameter of the tube & purchasing a solid steel rod that will fit in either end, realign everything & tack weld it to hold it in place.
I can then make sure everything is good prior to welding it up (or having it welded).

Couple of question:
1) Is at least my though process ok on this repair?

2) Is there any disadvantaged to using a solid steel rod, besides added weight (which is a slight concern)? Of should I be looking at buying a piece of steel tubing that will slip over the existing tubes & weld it up that way?

I know the design is not the best but we have been good with it for the 14+ yrs we have owned it... we just need it working again.

Open to others ideas (or what's wrong with my thought process)...

Thanks...

2023-04-15 12.05.33.jpg QA plate repair idea.jpg

/ Loader Quick Attach Repair Question - Idea #2  
Funny thing is I just did the same thing. 😫😟

I found this thread about the same thing.

If I can’t get it straight I am going to cut it out and weld in a piece of square tube.

/ Loader Quick Attach Repair Question - Idea #3  
No worries. I would hold off cutting and welding for a while. That tube acts more of a side to side spacer than a torque tube. I was alarmed my B26 ssqa did the same when new. Small amount of out-of-time, but can pick up an attachment, I simply curl all the way back which the hydraulics makes the sides even and then secure the latches. If misaligned too much then straighten by either gently pushing on a tree on one side or holding on a tree on one side and pushing with hydraulics on the other side. Since we mow with attachments off seems to happen frequently. If that tube shows any signs of fatigue I’ll replace it with stronger tubing. So far, 7 years, no problem.

Bigger tractors haven’t been a issue but usually always have an attachment.

/ Loader Quick Attach Repair Question - Idea #4  
Smoky has the right idea (y)
The tractor bent it once - it can bend it back.
Just be careful or you will go too much the other way

/ Loader Quick Attach Repair Question - Idea #5  
That tube acts more of a side to side spacer than a torque tube. I was alarmed my B26 ssqa did the same when new. Small amount of out-of-time, but can pick up an attachment, I simply curl all the way back which the hydraulics makes the sides even and then secure the latches.
Yeah, that's right. That rod is more of a synchronizer. Believe-it-or-not, you can probably operate fine without the rod there at all.

I had similar setup on my JD tractors, tho they designed it such that the rod was solid and secured at each side with roll pins instead of welds. That way, if you twist it or bend it, you can more easily replace it. Or not.

/ Loader Quick Attach Repair Question - Idea
Thanks for the feedback everyone... I tried the above suggested ideas prior to posting.

The issue is the tractor didn't bend it & it is bent to far out both sideways & vertically. Even with an attachment on & fully curling it up it is nowhere near close to being aligned enough to engage the quick attach lever.

I agree the bar is mostly for alignment which is why I thought the next best move was to cut it & try to align it again...

/ Loader Quick Attach Repair Question - Idea #7  
This block method may work. It certainly would be faster than cutting and welding so I would try at least.

/ Loader Quick Attach Repair Question - Idea
@K5lwq - thanks for the video... I'm going to try that to align them horizontally & it might work... But one of my issues is the left side is also tilted to the side slightly (outwards from the loader arm) & I have not figured a good way to get that back aligned... It is far enough out that it will not allow the mounting of a QA attachment.

I'll try to take a better picture of it with a flat bar across the two QA pads to show it better...

Thanks again everyone..

/ Loader Quick Attach Repair Question - Idea #9  
Once you get it back in line it may pull it enough to fit. If not, at that point maybe a good comealong and chain around a good tree will bring it the rest of the way.