Loader w/out power steering

/ Loader w/out power steering #11  
Thanks. That's definitely not what I want to hear, but I'd rather hear it now than spend a lot of money only to be left with a tractor (or, worse, a pile of parts) that I can't use!
I have a Yanmar YM2310. It has an aftermarket loader and no power steering. I am adding power steering. I have everything done but the plumbing. With a load in the bucket I have had the wheel torn from my hands more than once in soft earth. Even though it doesn't have power steering yet it is not impossible to use. I just need to be careful. I know when I get the power steering finished the tractor will be much easier to use.
Eric

/ Loader w/out power steering #12  
That brings up another good point..

People who have raced cars with added traction (slicks) and no power steering understand this danger.. feedback through the system can injure your fingers/hands/wrists. So you try to resist the temptation to wrap your thumbs around the inside, or especially to stick your whole hand on the inside of the rim as people sometimes do when making u-turns in cars, etc.

A power steering system adds a lot of resistance to that feedback but doesn't totally prevent it, usually. Some people add fully hydraulic steering (no mechanical shaft connection, usually called hydro steer among offroaders and hydrostatic steering among tractor owners) to their off road rock crawler builds and have the option of using cylinders with pilot operated check valves which actually DO prevent feedback to the wheel but also don't self-center or do the other normal 'self movements' that a steering system usually does.

Whether you have power steering or not, you have the option of installing a steering damper like a lot of trucks use. That would resist the steering wheel whamming your hands around when you bump into or over things while carrying a load.

/ Loader w/out power steering #13  
Operating a non-power steering MF135 with manure dump bucket for decades gave me Popeye arms. Great when you’re young. Appreciate modern loaders and power steering now.

/ Loader w/out power steering #14  
I drove a R model Mack 10 wheeler in the city helping a guy one day with no power steering.
It sucked.

I wouldn’t even get on your tractor without PS.
They once plowed fields with horses too.

/ Loader w/out power steering #15  
I sold two older tractors with FEL and no power steering to buy one with power steering. No way would I own another FEL tractor with no power steering.

/ Loader w/out power steering #16  
No power steering is like having a case of hemorrhoids something
you can do very nicely without!!
My uncle had an old 1020 all iron and if it wasn't running you would
not turn the steering wheel and then when it was running you had to
use both hands and a lot of muscle to turn!

willy

/ Loader w/out power steering #17  
I would keep grandpa’s tractor for nostalgic purposes and use it with 3ph implements. Then spend my money on a modern tractor with a loader and power steering for loader and other hydraulic uses.

/ Loader w/out power steering #18  
No power steering is like having a case of hemorrhoids something
you can do very nicely without!!
My uncle had an old 1020 all iron and if it wasn't running you would
not turn the steering wheel and then when it was running you had to
use both hands and a lot of muscle to turn!

willy
I remember well when the JD 1020 came out. Power steering was an option, but not popular because there was really no use for it. At the time it was common to carry heavy 3pt implements on the back, and Front End Loaders were pretty much unknown on utility size tractors. So steering was easy enough.

I don't think that JD even offered a front end loader on that size tractor. I never saw one. Loaders on small tractors didn't become popular until the small Japanese 4wd diesel tractors started to appear - and for that we had to wait another decade after the 1020's era.

Since power steering was available as an option on the 1020, anyone who wants bad enough can probably find one today. And there may still be aftermarket PS kits too.

Grandpa's tractor is not only nostalgic, it may be worth upgrading for far less than the cost of a new one.
rScotty

/ Loader w/out power steering #19  
I have a 1700 with loader / without power steering. As stated previously, you think ahead as you come to a stop to have the fronts positioned correctly. No big deal, it becomes 2nd nature. If you forget, and there is room, drop the bucket, turn the wheels, keep going
Not asked, but will answer anyway, the 1700 is light in the rear, you will need counterweight / rear wheel weight. If it is 4 WD, the early models (until sometime in 1978 had small / weak front spindles prone to snapping if a loader was used.