Loading tires with Propylene Glycol

/ Loading tires with Propylene Glycol #11  
I also agree that using deionized water would be a bad idea due to its metal corroding properties.

/ Loading tires with Propylene Glycol #13  
Hookblock said:

Yes I've been using it for about 7 years now. It's made from Beet Juice and is totally nontoxic. I believe it to be the safest and best material out there to fill tires. I realize many people try to save a buck filling tires, but much of what is used is certainly harmful to the environment or animals if spilled. RimGuard is also noncorossive.

Andy

/ Loading tires with Propylene Glycol #14  
I've seen it listed as a toothpaste ingredient.

To the original poster.. fillingthe tires with nitrogen may help prevent/lessen hot/cold expansion cycles.. etc.

I know when we play paintball, the nitrogen guns are much less effected by the cold than the CO2 guns.. etc.

soundguy

CurlyDave said:
Yeah the stuff is quite harmless. A guy at work said that he knows for a fact that they spray it on cookies as a preservative.

Holy Mackerel. You obviously have a computer, know how to use the internet, and Google is free.

I would look something like that up before taking it as the gospel truth, although it is on the FDA "Generally Recognized as Safe" list as a food additive. (Which took less than a minute to discover on Google.)

/ Loading tires with Propylene Glycol #15  
AndyMA said:
Yes I've been using it for about 7 years now. It's made from Beet Juice and is totally nontoxic. I believe it to be the safest and best material out there to fill tires. I realize many people try to save a buck filling tires, but much of what is used is certainly harmful to the environment or animals if spilled. RimGuard is also noncorossive.

Andy

Beet juice, if spilled on some plants and grasses, usually kills it just like cacl, unless you 'wash' it down with the hose to dilute it...

soundguy

/ Loading tires with Propylene Glycol #16  
Why bother trying to fill your tires with nitrogen when air is essentially free and can be topped up at home? The idea that it will delay algae growth seems odd as even plain air in a tire doesn't have enough oxygen to allow growth of algae. And why deionized water??? Does a tad of sodium or other salt really matter in an anaerobic environment?

Why worry about having sterile fluid in your tires either? Has anyone ever heard of a tire being eaten apart from the inside by superbugs? Don't we all drive through manure etc routinely? There are a lot more bugs on the outside of a tire than will ever be on the inside with an environment that has no sunlight (algae kinda like that) and no nutrients.

/ Loading tires with Propylene Glycol #17  
Still wondering if just using foam despite the cost is not a good idea? No leaks to the environment to worry about. Flat tires don't happen. You get the weight that you want for ballast. The tire can still be replaced if need be. Unless I am missing something. The cost is probably the biggest factor.
Jim

/ Loading tires with Propylene Glycol #18  
Treemonkey1000 said:
Still wondering if just using foam despite the cost is not a good idea? No leaks to the environment to worry about. Flat tires don't happen. You get the weight that you want for ballast. The tire can still be replaced if need be. Unless I am missing something. The cost is probably the biggest factor.
Jim

Cost and the fact that it would be hard to do yourself.

/ Loading tires with Propylene Glycol #19  
Ok I figured cost would be a big part of the equation. Les Schwab does the filling so that would be another part. I guess they drill a hole in the tire and pump the foam in there. I wonder if they just use the same type of foam you get in a can to seal air leaks in walls. That stuff expands and then hardens.. Might be a good experiment with some old car tires on rims to figure out the expansion rate..:eek: To me not having a flat out in the boonies is worth some $$$
Jim

/ Loading tires with Propylene Glycol #20  
mjncad said:
I also agree that using deionized water would be a bad idea due to its metal corroding properties.

Isn't it the other way around. Deionized water has no salt to corrode metals. I'm not aware of any advantage for deionized water in tractor tires but it doesn't seem likely it would corrode metals.