Locked in the Car and Unable to get Out - Food for Thought

/ Locked in the Car and Unable to get Out - Food for Thought #21  
I have heard of this issue with tesla's before. the? 1 I had heard in 1 case in Philadelphia where that car started to catch on fire. and they doors were locked with them stuck inside. a guy looking out his window saw it, grabbed his shovel and broke out the windows. I couldn't imagine it !!!

/ Locked in the Car and Unable to get Out - Food for Thought #22  
I find this very hard to believe. That a car door cannot be opened from the inside when the electric door locks won't work. Same for the battery in the trunk. This is a safety issue. Maybe even a life and death issue. My son has a Chevy HHR. The panel van version. And it also has the battery in the trunk. Next to the spare tire and partly under the inside body work. Which would make it really hard to jump because the spare tire would need to be removed and the battery shifted in order to gain access to both battery posts. I commented on this to my son as I was wondering how to jump the thing if it was loaded with cargo because it would be a pain to unload it to get access to the battery. He told me jumping is no problem because obvious provisions for jumping are under the hood so access to the battery is not necessary. I just cannot believe a car can prevented from opening from the inside for any electrical reason.
Eric

/ Locked in the Car and Unable to get Out - Food for Thought #25  
So how do you know when the oil is at full during an oil change? Wait for the sensor? Jon
couldn't believe it when i looked to check oil. everything is sensor driven.

/ Locked in the Car and Unable to get Out - Food for Thought #26  
My summer car is a 2014 CTS-V coupe. It has electrically operated door latches that will not let my wife open the door when I'm out pumping gas with the fob in my pocket. The emergency release in on the floor near the front of the door and is hard to reach. I now hear about it if I forget to open her window before getting out. I hate fobs and prior to this car I used a key only, never using the fob. It's highly annoying to want to get something out of the car and it has automatically locked with the fob in the house. It's gotten worse. Yesterday I bought a 2018 Grand Cherokee that has keyless entry and I now need another fob. Gone are the days when I had three f series trucks, all using the same key. They call it progress, but I think it's two steps back. Enough of a rant for now.

/ Locked in the Car and Unable to get Out - Food for Thought #27  
We locked the keys in the pickup once. The doors were locked too. Don't remember how we did it but if it was possible - we could do it. Fortunately we had a sliding rear window on the pickup. Took a while but finally poped the lock and the wife was able to skinny in thru the rear window opening.

/ Locked in the Car and Unable to get Out - Food for Thought #28  
Would an elderly lady have the strength to bust a window with the hammer or have the funds to replace a broken window because of a dead battery and being locked inside. Bad situation in my mind.
I suppose the answer to those questions would depend on the elderly lady. If I ever heard of anyone using one of those gadgets to get out of a car, I don't remember it.

/ Locked in the Car and Unable to get Out - Food for Thought #29  
I suppose the answer to those questions would depend on the elderly lady. If I ever heard of anyone using one of those gadgets to get out of a car, I don't remember it.
Well, you just never know. My pocket knife is one of these,

/ Locked in the Car and Unable to get Out - Food for Thought #30  
I know no one does, but man, read your car's owner's/operator's manual. It's all in there.
The saturn was my mothers. She had had a heart attach, pulled over, dead. Later that evening I went to get the car and drive it home. Put down a towel, turn the key, battery dead. Get the manual out? Some things should be readily apparent without a chinese puzzle to figure out. Things like blinkers, wipers, mirrors, doors, heat/ac should be accessible without hesitation. I once rented a "vehicle" in Syracuse, to take to Watertown ny. Long flight in, diverted due to snow, January, Watertown was expecting blizzard conditions, cold and dark, two grammas, adults, kids, full. Open it up, go to pop the hatch, wheres the latch? (Lincoln navigator or some similar beast). Three people searching for 5 min, nada. The dash was a mirage of buttons with kryptic labels. Finally threw the luggage over the back seat.