log grapple design/dynamics? 3 pt

/ log grapple design/dynamics? 3 pt #41  
Keep in mind, the OP is talking about a 25hp tractor not a couple hundred hp skidder.

There's no doubt in my mind, that a skidding winch would be a MUCH better performer on a little tractor over a 3 point grapple, that is IF he wants to actually get something done. On top of that, the winch is so much more useful for many other things

I don't think this is about what actually works better...

SR
Rob he's also talking about only 5ac. that's been cut over.

/ log grapple design/dynamics? 3 pt #42  
I totally disagree with that, what do you do with that grapple arm when you can't get the tree through a muddy spot, or up a hill?? With a winch, no problem at all!

I'd MUCH rather have the winch on that small tractor...

SR
Winches work better on bigger tractors too. We done got us a couple. Now, I'm feeling kinda dangerous. Them winches is the cats meow. 100' of reach that you don't have to drive the tractor over. Put about 6 sliders on the cable, get six logs. Hit a soft spot, drop the logs, drive across, winch them back to you. Long soft spot? Drop them again.

/ log grapple design/dynamics? 3 pt #43  
I have never done any of this work but with all this back and forth im just sitting here thinking ‘ok, do both’.

I too have small tractors and being new to fabricating anything heavier than sheetmetal im drawn to using cheap components until i prove i deserve better. 😂

So on a related note to that, Northern tool and equipment sells something they call a ‘rock grabber’ that is basically a little fixed thumb and something like a bucket with no walls (as a matched set) for their towable hoe/excavator. I bought it for my Kubota backhoe to place large chunks of broken concrete as i built up a creek crossing/culvert but it could also serve as the basis for a small log grapple. In fact, me being a weird hoarder ive got 3 engine hoists and was planning to put one on 3pt. Add winch to top of that, replace casters on the folding outriggers with some nasty pads to really dig in.. That would be pretty easy and cheap for me to build. But i might never use it on a log. 😂

Ive definitey cleared my share of trees… but around here they dont go straight for more than ten feet so youre lucky to get one ‘log’ per tree and the rest is tiny bushy garbage to deal with.

/ log grapple design/dynamics? 3 pt
I made a little progress today.
Got to work on the 3 point setup.
I added a lifting hole and another on the outboard end just in case I want to add something out there.

Attachments

• IMG_20221116_151642993.jpg
    IMG_20221116_151642993.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 88
  • IMG_20221116_151626111.jpg
    IMG_20221116_151626111.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 83
   / log grapple design/dynamics? 3 pt #45  
Looking good! Nice work.

/ log grapple design/dynamics? 3 pt #46  
I made a little progress today.
Got to work on the 3 point setup.
I added a lifting hole and another on the outboard end just in case I want to add something out there.

Nice work.

The smart grapple used a lot to T1 steel. Twice the strength of regular steel and abrasion resistant so considerably weight savings. Stress-proof king pin at slight angle would self center when raised. A disk holding the grapple controlled the rotation. 3/4-1 ton free floating axle hub would make a good pivot and bolt pattern to attach disk and grapple to frame.

Agree with another poster that a rotator was not needed. Surprisingly easy to align by adjusting height and steering. 38” opening. Scissor grapples with one protected cylinder could grab without slipping. Serrated bucking plate at the 3pt lower pins could center and pick logs off the ground. Sales video showed doing this bouncing with a telephone pole to show strength on a 90hp 4x4 tractor. Keeping wood off the ground where it doesn’t snow much is helpful for small wood lots.

Open the grapple to dig in or grab a log to chock when winching.

On a small tractor a boom pole with a simple logging grapple can move a lot of wood easily. Lite, simple, adjustable, no hydraulics and inexpensive.

/ log grapple design/dynamics? 3 pt
Today's update, it's operational!
The way it's configured the cylinder is kind of floating so whichever side has the least resistance will move first which isn't a huge deal but I would like them to move together. It looks like I will have to fabricate up some rods that will go from one claw to the other so they move in unison. Tomorrows project...lol

Attachments

• IMG_20221117_112040691.jpg
    IMG_20221117_112040691.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 88
  • IMG_20221117_112034733.jpg
    IMG_20221117_112034733.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 93
  • IMG_20221117_112024198.jpg
    IMG_20221117_112024198.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 93
   / log grapple design/dynamics? 3 pt #48  
Very nice work!

/ log grapple design/dynamics? 3 pt #49  
Today's update, it's operational!
The way it's configured the cylinder is kind of floating so whichever side has the least resistance will move first which isn't a huge deal but I would like them to move together. It looks like I will have to fabricate up some rods that will go from one claw to the other so they move in unison. Tomorrows project...lol
I see your apple getting compared to oranges, peaches and bananas here.... nevermind, youre doing a fine build ! 👌