log grapple design/dynamics? 3 pt

/ log grapple design/dynamics? 3 pt #1  

davedj1

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L2501
I'm going to build a 3 point log grapple, I have never really seen one up close so I don't know how the geometry is for opening and closing. Anyone build one or have a schematic of one? I have searched but have come up empty handed. Just the open/close part I need help with. Thanks
It will be this design:
1668365512811.png

/ log grapple design/dynamics? 3 pt #2  
that's a cool attachment...

My first thoughts other than getting a design from a manufacture to purchase the patten would be to in touch with Garauld the creator of the ''Swamp thing'' he as some crazy drafting/engineering skills if it's worth is time he might be willing to draft it up for you...

Good luck ... keep posting the progress it will be interesting to follow.

/ log grapple design/dynamics? 3 pt #3  
It's a cool looking attachment even more so if it telescopes...but IMO it has very limited practicality...especially if working in close quarters to anything...
...A full time ground man might make it more practical...
Also, it's hard to drive a tractor while looking backwards AND working hydraulic controls...IMO a grapple on the front (FEL) is much more practical for a man working alone and picking up and placing logs...be it be on a trailer, saw mill etc., etc...

/ log grapple design/dynamics? 3 pt #4  
It's a cool looking attachment even more so if it telescopes...but IMO it has very limited practicality...especially if working in close quarters to anything...
...A full time ground man might make it more practical...
Also, it's hard to drive a tractor while looking backwards AND working hydraulic controls...IMO a grapple on the front (FEL) is much more practical for a man working alone and picking up and placing logs...be it be on a trailer, saw mill etc., etc...

You are missing the big picture. Of course it has limited applications, this is a skidder made for one purpose, grappling and skidding trees for a long distance. It's a specializes attachment made for that purpose so obviously OP as a need for it and for that specific need a grappler wouldn't be feasible.

/ log grapple design/dynamics? 3 pt #5  
You are missing the big picture. Of course it has limited applications, this is a skidder made for one purpose, grappling and skidding trees for a long distance. It's a specializes attachment made for that purpose so obviously OP as a need for it and for that specific need a grappler wouldn't be feasible.
I'm not missing anything...the OP said a "3 pt grapple"...
...a 3pt logging winch is much more practical for skidding logs with a 25HP tractor that barely weighs a ton and a half...!

/ log grapple design/dynamics? 3 pt #6  
I'm not missing anything...the OP said a "3 pt grapple"...
...a 3pt logging winch is much more practical for skidding logs with a 25HP tractor that barely weighs a ton and a half...!
You and I don't know the task at hand, so pretty hard to state what is more practical for that unknown task ... the question is not what is more practical for a certain task.

If I would want to haul full length trees for a good distance this is what I would want ... a logging winch is good if you can't access the tree to haul it out to the trail but not skidding it for 3000ft

/ log grapple design/dynamics? 3 pt #7  
You and I don't know the task at hand, so pretty hard to state what is more practical for that unknown task ... the question is not what is more practical for a certain task.

If I would want to haul full length trees for a good distance this is what I would want ... a logging winch is good if you can't access the tree to haul it out to the trail but not skidding it for 3000ft
LoL...and if the trees were of any size you would be doing it with the front wheels off the ground...(given the cited tractor)...

you suggest that accessibility would be difficult for getting a choker on a log...close quarters is no place for the pictured attachment...!

/ log grapple design/dynamics? 3 pt
To answer a question, I am wanting it to grab a bunch of 6'-10' logs that the logger left scattered all over my friends property. I used my winch to skid the longer stuff out but it's a pain to use it on all the short stuff. I'm not even sure why they cut it into such pieces, maybe to get it off the usable log underneath or something. I have a grapple on the front so I have hydraulics on board, I too thing the tractor is too light to have this on the front although I'm not opposed to the idea but I have limited lifting capacity and having the log out there another 2'-3' isn't going to help. I don't have to drag them far, 50'-100' tops to the landing area. It's a small piece of property.

/ log grapple design/dynamics? 3 pt #9  
LoL...and if the trees were of any size you would be doing it with the front wheels off the ground...(given the cited tractor)...

you suggest that accessibility would be difficult for getting a choker on a log...close quarters is no place for the pictured attachment...!
hard to keep track of your arguments initially you talk about a FEL grappler then a 3point logging winch now it's a chain and chocker which is it ?

/ log grapple design/dynamics? 3 pt #10  
hard to keep track of your arguments initially you talk about a FEL grappler then a 3point logging winch now it's a chain and chocker which is it ?
LoL...Do you have any experience with tractors and logs???

FYI...3PT winches use chain and chokers...the winch is a much more practical 3pt implement than what is pictured...especially in close quarters...

And I'll stick with my opinion that a front mounted thumb grapple either with a bucket or forks is much easier to use if placing logs in/on anything but a pile in an open field...!