Log splitter and a flying log - safety

/ Log splitter and a flying log - safety #131  
On my splitter the ram pushes the log into the wedge and I don't think there is much danger of it producing a flying log. Sometimes the wedge will push the log upward over the wedge if it was cut at an angle . Sorry to hear about your father passing. My father died 39 years ago on Dec. 11, sure miss him.

/ Log splitter and a flying log - safety
Thank you, ernemats.

/ Log splitter and a flying log - safety #133  
Some years ago piece of a block (3/4" wide 6" long) hit me in the chest at some speed that didn't hurt, but if it would have hit me in the face it probably would have.

I always wear eye and hearing protection. One time weed wacking a small rock hit me in the teeth, no damage. Again eye and hearing protection.

/ Log splitter and a flying log - safety #134  
We used to split some oak and elm that rediculously hard... had to freeze it before splitting for the easiest results.
Haven't thought about freezing wood for splitting for years. Once I pulled a few green sweet gum trees to the wood pile. They had fallen into a field. Sawed them into firewood length and splitting with a maul was extremely difficult, as I knew it would be. We had three days below freezing with nights in single digits. The wood split easily. I even carried one piece into the house to thaw for verification. When I took it outside a few days later, the maul just laughed at me. The weather doesn't usually stay that cold where I live, but I will testify that you are right. Thanks for the memory.
We used to split some oak and elm that rediculously hard... had to freeze it before splitting for the easiest results.