Rotory screw log splitter

/ Rotory screw log splitter #11  
I looked at the video of the Split-Fire device on a mini-excavator. Does not seem much of a stretch to adapt this to fit a back hoe. Also seems much safer and faster than a screw type splitter.

/ Rotory screw log splitter #12  
Many years ago friend had screw type splitter run off his little Alice Chalmers PTO, I thought wow how dangerous but after watching him operate it I was actually Impressed at how well it worked, as far as I know he never got injured while operating it.
For safety I would never want to own one myself .

/ Rotory screw log splitter
Ahh…I now see you’re probably talking about something like this?:

Splitting pine is one thing, I’d wonder what happens in oak or some stringy elm, etc..
It sure looks convenient to split everything from the cab seat, I wonder if a twisting force on the backhoe arm could become a problem with a long log?

Many years ago friend had screw type splitter run off his little Alice Chalmers PTO, I thought wow how dangerous but after watching him operate it I was actually Impressed at how well it worked, as far as I know he never got injured while operating it.
I heard most of the safety concerns are while handling the wood and spinoff. I would be safe(r) up and away on the tractor.

/ Rotory screw log splitter #14  
Have seen the screw type splitter used with post hole auger. Some have adapted hydraulic ssqa auger to their backhoe. They have a cage to keep the wood from spinning.

Not sure of your hydraulic capacity but could be slow for splitting.

Have used the grapple and backhoe with thumb on the Kubota B26 to handle chunks on the gas powered horizontal/vertical wood splitter. Definitely understand taking advantage of hydraulic power to help us do more.

Adapting a beam/cylinder wedge splitter in place of a backhoe bucket might work too.

/ Rotory screw log splitter #15  
If you have a thumb for your back how check out dig drive diy on YouTube, uses a backhoe to split firewood.

/ Rotory screw log splitter #16  
If you have a thumb for your back how check out dig drive diy on YouTube, uses a backhoe to split firewood.

Like the idea. Just getting big rounds to manageable size helps. Like to see how that works with a small tractor backhoe. Not sure I would have the ram strength on the curl function?

/ Rotory screw log splitter #17  
Hmmm I'm gonna look at my curl cylinder size vs my 25ton gas splitter!
My only concern would be those nasty "Y" shaped logs where the wood grain curves and my splitter ends up cutting thru the grain. (I've not found a single chunk of wood it couldn't split - it'll "cut" thru anything that has those nasty curves.) I'm wondering what kind of side-loading forces would be applied to the curl function if any?
I'd love to make something like that if it'll work for my little hoe. Certainly I'd say my hydraulic system must be at the very least as strong or stronger then the little gas powered pump on the splitter??

E.

/ Rotory screw log splitter #18  
Just put a kill wire on it and put the kill wire on you. Been using screw splitter for years.

/ Rotory screw log splitter #20  
I got this attachment for PHD. Used it but didn't really liked it. It works. Now i prefer to use log splitter.