Log splitter and a flying log - safety

/ Log splitter and a flying log - safety #71  
I can understand the compression/ “spring” aspect if there was air in the system, but wouldn’t the air return to the hydraulic reservoir after a couple cycles? How would air get into the cylinder if the splitter has been running for a while.

I think the stored energy is “ inserted” into the wood by the wedge’s splitting motion. That it’s a function of the wedge’s shape and the type / condition of the wood. That is, whether wood “splits” or resists splitting and holds together, bending the split end of the stick outward.
Ya. Air bleeds out of hydraulics pretty quick. A cycle or 2, sometimes up to 10. Unless you have a leak & newcair is getting in.

My expectation is this log didnt split for whatever reason & became the wound up spring powered by 15-25 ton of force. Like I said earlier the Hydraulic press channel has some scary but entertsining stuff on it. I guess this would point to a poor wedge not cutting well.

/ Log splitter and a flying log - safety #72  
I’m going to wear my loggers helmet from now on that’s for sure. I was going to the other day but it was cold out and didn’t want to take my stocking cap off. That woukd be a stupid reason to get hurt.

/ Log splitter and a flying log - safety #73  
A better designed wedge...

I don't know if all "more expensive" splitters have a better designed wedge and I never said that they do, but my Timberwolf does.

BTW, Wood flying off a splitter isn't a freak occurrence, at times my old splitters would do it.

SR

I am on me third one now. One homebuilt by me and 2 commercial home grade. All three have had chunks pop off and fly. Not often. I caught on right in the 'nads. Fun time. I have been doing around 15 cord a year but am slowing down now. Only cut about 7 cord.

/ Log splitter and a flying log - safety #74  
Chances are that if manufacturers incorporated some sort of safety bar etc. to prevent this...a lot of operators would remove it...!

/ Log splitter and a flying log - safety #75  
I’m going to wear my loggers helmet from now on that’s for sure. I was going to the other day but it was cold out and didn’t want to take my stocking cap off. That woukd be a stupid reason to get hurt.
Sounds like one might need some body armor. That might be a business opportunity. :)

/ Log splitter and a flying log - safety #76  
今天我用 25 吨的劈木机劈木头,因为我以前做过 1000 倍的劈木机。我有一块橡木,当我听到砰的一声时,公羊正像往常一样向前移动,然后看到一根原木在闪光中飞舞。当我醒来时,我仰面躺在原木堆中,鲜血从我的脸上滴落,看不清东西。看来日志击中了我。长话短说,在去急诊室之后,我的眼眶骨折了,缝了几针,还有轻微的脑震荡。

我的问题是,什么会导致原木像火箭一样从分离器上掉下来?我知道它承受着压力,但我从未见过 20 磅的圆木变成成熟的炮弹。我很幸运; 我戴上了安全眼镜(镜头被原木损坏了),但不确定我该如何防止它或我如何才能更好地做好准备。发生这种情况时,机器处于水平位置,您可以拾取原木并将其放入机器中。认为将它放在垂直位置可能会更好,因为如果它吐出一个,它至少会在地面上。
can you take a photo on your log splitter? We are selling log splitter in Germany, not in US market. I had experience to apply the log splitter's Euro safety standard. So I would like to see what problem on your log splitter.

/ Log splitter and a flying log - safety #77  
Sounds like one might need some body armor. That might be a business opportunity. :)
The truth is that depend on how the dominator(s) is thinking. Different country uses their different safety standard, the ruler maker makes the rule, then all the manufacturers follow this standard, normally the ruler maker is the biggest company on the market. No manufacturer will add too much safety feature if the standard doesn't require, to save the cost and remain competitive.

/ Log splitter and a flying log - safety
You guys are sure making me happy I bought a better designed splitter, even if it did cost me more money!

My splitter has never thrown any splits at me, not even one time.

SR
I would have said mine never "threw" any out also, last Thursday. :)

Funny you mentioned body armor - I was just on Amazon looking at Baseball helmets. I always wear noise-canceling Airpods, so the Baseball helmet looks like it could be perfect with the metal faceguard and a pair of safety glasses. I do have a Stihl logging helmet I use cutting wood, but the faceguard is just a mesh that is not too sturdy. I think it would have folded in, and I would still have gotten my bell rung so I am thinking of something a little more HD.

I haven't been around the shop the last two days to snap a photo of the splitter, but this is the splitter I have:

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/countyline-25-ton-log-splitter-126151799--1?cid=Search-Google-TSC_DYN-Dynamic%20All%20Site-All%20Site%20TSC&utm_medium=Google&utm_source=Search&utm_campaign=TSC_DYN&utm_content=Dynamic%20All%20Site&utm_term=All%20Site%20TSC&gclid=Cj0KCQiA1sucBhDgARIsAFoytUt0h407-DnUbEBTcwQf2JM8yiPwV_9WFX4cSZlhUfcy0AlvGhguyeoaAuhREALw_wcB

It is in great shape, basically the exact same as new minus some paint wear.

I would snap a photo of the log, but I tossed it on the stacks of wood the other day when I went back out to split, so it is mixed in and buried now. I did look it over first, and there were no knots, vee, etc. Just as clean, smooth split. Maybe I should have kept it as a souvenir - LOL

I was standing right next to the log when splitting it on the table. The log was directly in front of me, my right hand on the control lever and my left hand on my side away from the wedge/log. It came up and out - part of the log remained on the table. I'm short (5'5"), so it didn't have to fly too high up! I think it was in a spin, but I'm not really sure about that. I only caught a flash of it before impact.

I hope that helps answer some questions

/ Log splitter and a flying log - safety
can you take a photo on your log splitter? We are selling log splitter in Germany, not in US market. I had experience to apply the log splitter's Euro safety standard. So I would like to see what problem on your log splitter.
I will get one tomorrow but I posted a link to it above if that helps for now.
Thank you for your input and ideas

/ Log splitter and a flying log - safety #80  
HI guys. I have a vertical hydraulic log splitter. I have been splitting wood for 15 years and have splited quite a lot. Only ounce did it kick out the log. I don't have real hard wood essence like Maplesugar tree wood, but, a spruce log can be realy hard, sometimes and can kick out. Be carefull guys. I usualy put my thign close to the log, in case it kick out. Zetorboy