Log splitter and a flying log - safety

/ Log splitter and a flying log - safety #61  
Good Morning Code 54,
Bottom line is we are all glad that you are OK and didnt get more seriously injured !
Thanks for posting to keep us all more vigilant, rather than complacent !!

/ Log splitter and a flying log - safety #62  
I respect the opinions of Sawyer Rob, but I doubt a more expensive splitter is the solution. The question is, "What does a better splitter have that prevents this from happening?"
That is the question. It would be nice to see pictures of the wedge on the offending machine. One of mine is a used 8yard wheel loader bucket cutting edge and the other splitter is a TSC variable angle wedge. The TSC wedge had a flat cutting edge that I sharpened. I don't think they engineered the flat cutting edge, I think it was just cheaper. When I compare the two, they are extremes, one being a slow/gradual spread, the TSC goes from a thin wedge to a 45 deg spreader. Neither of mine have ever thrown wood.
I think it is good for us to try and figure this out!

/ Log splitter and a flying log - safety #64  
One question Code54, did the wood fly (this is hard to explain) away from the wedge as the blade cuts through like when an axe is used to split, and the wood goes right and left of the axe head? (picture 1)

Or did it fly straight out along the path of the edge? (picture 2)

Attachments

• Resized_20210427_133219.jpg
    Resized_20210427_133219.jpg
    933.9 KB · Views: 57
  • Resized_20210427_133219 (2).jpg
    Resized_20210427_133219 (2).jpg
    937.2 KB · Views: 56
   / Log splitter and a flying log - safety #65  
Well that a first for me... obviously it happens when splitting with an axe but never seen it with a long splitter. Also, never splitted oak trees. Ours bog down when under pressure so what we do is once it bogged down, we stop then tap it forward again, then it splits. I am really surprised of the velocity and force this log came out ... I am wondering what kind of pressure your splitter is working with and if that too much...

/ Log splitter and a flying log - safety #66  
Sounds like a freak thing to me. Glad you don’t need surgery.

/ Log splitter and a flying log - safety #67  
To answer a few questions. I was splitting Pin Oak and it was cut a month ago. I have used the splitter since the "incident," and it is working perfectly, and the ram is moving slowly and smoothly. Nothing flew out and it is the same batch of wood. I believe it is an 11-second cycle time, so it is nothing too special. The wedge is sharp - actually sharpened the night before the incident along with a engine oil change. I found the split that hit me (it was easy since every other piece was stacked in the log rack) - no knots and no forks - just very straight grain. At the time, I did not hear the machine bog at all. I split around 4 cords so far this year and understand the bogging sound and always step back and away when I hear it. This was running smoothly. I did notice that one end was not perfectly straight but nothing too crazy.

I often wear a logging helmet, but honestly, this one hit me so hard that I am pretty sure the face screen would have easily folded in (still would not mind having it on). I told my wife I think I am going to wear my full-face motocross helmet from now on!

After going to the facial surgery center yesterday I found out I actually "shattered" the lower orbital and broken the sinus cavity a bit, but nothing too bad and luckly do not need surgery. The stiches are out and that will leave a scar above my eye but hey I am old and married so oh well. They even said my eyes are both still even so I would say all for all it turned out pretty well.
Im glad youre going to be OK. I have done a lot of splitting and been hit once with a part of the log that came upward. I wasnt hurt and it was obvious from the log what had happened to store energy for release upward. I am now alert for similar situations, and safer for it. It would sure be good to learn from your experience in a way beyond just general caution. Would it be possible for you to take some pics of the log pieces grouped back together loosely ? Might show something. :unsure:
Thanks!

/ Log splitter and a flying log - safety #68  
I respect the opinions of Sawyer Rob, but I doubt a more expensive splitter is the solution. The question is, "What does a better splitter have that prevents this from happening?"
A better designed wedge...

I don't know if all "more expensive" splitters have a better designed wedge and I never said that they do, but my Timberwolf does.

BTW, Wood flying off a splitter isn't a freak occurrence, at times my old splitters would do it.

SR

/ Log splitter and a flying log - safety #69  
What processor are you looking at?
John,
I am looking at the Range Road Eco 3000. It is a "cheap POS" from China. Not commercial quality. But a number of decent reviews from folks doing up to 100 cords per year. I have visited a guy who has owned one for three years and has been very pleased with his.

There is a distributor about a 90 minute drive away. He stocks some parts.

I heat primarily with wood but am 72 and want an easier way to produce firewood. Looking for something I can use for the next 10 years. I plan to sell a bit of firewood as a side business. Figuring about 50-75 cords a year.

I plan to buy wood. Currently at $100 per loggers cord and that will produce 2.5 face cords of firewood. Selling price is $75/FC so a gross profit of $35/FC. If I can sell 50 cords a year, that works out to $5k of income. Not going to get rich but will pay for the processor in two years. Expected production rate is 1.5 to 2 face cords per hour. That works out to 75-100 hours of machine time to produce 50 cords.

If I was younger, I would look at a better unit, but they are over double the investment. BTW came close to getting a Japa in partnership with a buddy, but he cannot devote much time to a side business. With a Japa, or similar, it means going at it like a real business.

/ Log splitter and a flying log - safety #70  
I can understand the compression/ “spring” aspect if there was air in the system, but wouldn’t the air return to the hydraulic reservoir after a couple cycles? How would air get into the cylinder if the splitter has been running for a while.

I think the stored energy is “ inserted” into the wood by the wedge’s splitting motion. That it’s a function of the wedge’s shape and the type / condition of the wood. That is, whether wood “splits” or resists splitting and holds together, bending the split end of the stick outward.