Log tongs??

/ Log tongs?? #1  

slydog

Gold Member
Southaven, Ms now, Greers Ferry Ark later
Tractor
1955 Ford 640
Can anyone point me in the right direction for purchasing a set of log tongs? I don't think these ice tongs I got off of ebay will do the trick! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Log tongs?? #7  
http://www.baileys-online.com/store/USA.htm

go to online store then WIRE ROPE & GRAPPLING SUPPLIES: specialty ropes - hydraulic grappling equipment & more then Log Skidding and Lifting Tongs

these tongs have a swivel built in to them. Without a swivel your equiptment can get torn up if the log wants to roll and twist while dragging it.

Anybody know if the other companies have swivels for their tongs? I'm also in the market for a pair. Tomorrow I start a 48 hour kitchen pass to the farm /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif I would love to have some tongs, but I will settle for a cable for now.

Mike

/ Log tongs?? #8  
Welcome to the forum.
I have had tongs for years, and they are not the swivel type. Have had no problem dragging logs with them and no problem with twisting of logs. I think I like the idea of having better control of holding the log from twisting. Often I will throw a chain around a log as a 'backup' in case the tongs want to tear loose. Even then, don't get too much roll.
However, not meaning to negate your opinion that you want the swivel. I wouldn't just because the tongs are longer to accomadate the swivel, restricting the height to raise the logs.

/ Log tongs?? #9  
beenthere, If it doesn't matter if the log breaks loose or if the rig your running suddenly is unloaded tongs are fine. If not use chokers. Sure they break , but not as often as a tong will let loose and if it really matters us a back up chain as you do.

/ Log tongs?? #10  
Forestry Suppliers has a swivel on some of theirs. I have the swivel on mine. I use them on a boom pole to get the front off the ground. Then again my tractor is a UT not a CUT.