logsplitter lift

/ logsplitter lift #31  
All my rounds lately are in the 30" range. Use the splitter vertical and tractor to move close. But it's still a bear to get in to the bar for a clean split.
Maybe something like your 4x4, but with 4x1 and drop off from FEL onto these and slide to splitter would work.

/ logsplitter lift #32  

Attachments

• 2011-10-25_17-07-10_172.jpg
    2011-10-25_17-07-10_172.jpg
    865.6 KB · Views: 257
  • 2011-10-25_17-07-40_706.jpg
    2011-10-25_17-07-40_706.jpg
    781.9 KB · Views: 243
I built this maybe 35 years ago and plan to restore it one day, I don't burn wood anymore so no hurry. it has about 75 feet of cable so dragging big rounds or even a 10 log to the splitter was no problem. If a round was big enough I would use the lift to sit it on the beam and then hook the tongs on the half that I wanted to fall away so it was ready to sit back up. Oh and the swivel is the front hub off a Lincoln continental, I guess during restoration I'll grease the bearings. :)

/ logsplitter lift #33  
Don't need one myself, since 90% of my wood is from hedgelaying, so max 6-8" dia, but the best solution I've seen is from NZ :-
He's a very clever bloke, that one!

/ logsplitter lift #34  
I had a Didier splitter when we burned firewood. Some of my ancient Ponderosa pines were - 32" to 36" on the butt.

Alternate to log lift. With the FEL & bucket - dig a shallow "hole". Roll the splitter rear tires into this hole. Now the splitter is at about the same level as the surrounding ground.

Just a matter of rolling the round onto the splitter rail.

A whole lot easier getting the round up on the rail when the rail is sitting on the ground.

/ logsplitter lift #35  
If I was still running a splitter I would do something similar to how Sawyer Rob processes. Look for some of his posts. I had planned to do something similar until I decided a wood processor was a better option for me.

He cuts the rounds onto a trailer and then rolls them off the trailer to his splitter...no lifting.. His splitter has a fixed wedge and he can push the splits off the table without having to pick them off the ground.

Log lifts can be slow and that makes SR's method more attractive to me. it is fast and easy to roll rounds from the trailer to the splitter.