logsplitter question

/ logsplitter question #41  
Long time lurker here.
I grew up splitting wood and have most of my adult life. I've used both standalone and 3 point hitch. My preference is 3 point hitch as I like to use the same tool as many ways as I can. Having said, there are valid reasons to go with a standalone. For me, I'd rather not have another engine to maintain. But again, that is just my opinion. The biggest thing that I think, and others have mentioned, is get something that is vertical. The major reason for a wood splitter is to turn the manual task into a quicker, easier job. Lifting or rolling a round onto a horizontal splitter will wear you out. Having one that is vertical will save your back and make the job much easier after a long day.

/ logsplitter question #42  
I bought a Sears (!) log splitter some forty years ago for a couple hundred dollars including the cost of hydraulic hoses and connectors to power it off my then-International Harvester 284. Though we no longer heat the house with wood (too much dust for Susan Wife), we still go through a cord of wood a year for the fireplace in fall and spring. Of course it cost me more than I paid for the splitter to add rear hydraulic lines to Mahindra 1526, but that splitter is still doing good service. I'll be splitting a cord this fall from the past year's blowdowns. I recommend it. I can have the log splitter hooked up while towing my farm trailer, so all the mess stays in the woods where it is an actual benefit. I split the wood on site and stack it in the trailer and come home like a triumphant Spartan with my shield. Hoo ha!

Wasn't it great when we could get EVERYTHING from Sears? Amazon just isn't the same.

/ logsplitter question #43  
I am wondering about whether I should rent a log splitter or buy one to run off my tractor hydraulics. I have one large tree down that has been cut up and usually have 1-2 trees per year that need to be cut up and split that I have taken down or fell on its own in a storm, so not a lot of use but fairly constant.

Is it generally better to have a self powered splitter or to use your tractor? Which is more reliable/durable? Do these require much maintenance? Is the operation pretty simple? I can rent from Home depot here for ~$100/ day and have seen ads on this site or others for hydraulic run for about $1200-1400

Appreciate any advice for a relative novice at this
I can buy a lot of used self-powered splitters here for around $500. Very little care and careful with gas.
I don't recommend the electric ones. Won't save you any real money, don't like splitting around extension cords or damp conditions and I have seen too many broken units for sale.

With your usage, you'll never wera out a splitter. Save your tractor.

/ logsplitter question #44  
We have a self powered splitter that lives at our house since my 96 year old dad got a ductless heat pump. Just too old to bring logs in with the tractor and turn them into fire wood. We used it some for some peeler log rounds. Now we buy our wood from a local guy and it fits our wood stove just fine. But a splitter is amazing as you watch that maul(?) split the wood. The splitter is run dry if we use it and we use clear premium. We also keep it tarped. It sits a lot but I would not loan it out as a family or neighborhood splitter. Once my dad did that, the person did not keep it tarped and something rusted (flywheel?). That said, it's probably something a country property should have around. Never know what you will get gifted.

/ logsplitter question #45  
Rental probably does make more sense in your case, but if you wanted to buy, I would definitely suggest a 3pt unit that runs off your tractor hydraulics. As dictcg mentioned, it's smaller, virtually no maintenance, and it's more powerful than an electric model. I've had a Wallenstein unit for 10 years, splitting about 3 bush cord a year, and I've been very happy with it.

/ logsplitter question #46  
I am wondering about whether I should rent a log splitter or buy one to run off my tractor hydraulics. I have one large tree down that has been cut up and usually have 1-2 trees per year that need to be cut up and split that I have taken down or fell on its own in a storm, so not a lot of use but fairly constant.

Is it generally better to have a self powered splitter or to use your tractor? Which is more reliable/durable? Do these require much maintenance? Is the operation pretty simple? I can rent from Home depot here for ~$100/ day and have seen ads on this site or others for hydraulic run for about $1200-1400

I have a self powered unit from lowes, I have split a lot of logs with it, it’s about 15 years old. The reason I went with it instead of one that works off tractor is if you need to use it remotely you have to haul your tractor with you.

/ logsplitter question #47  
After yesterday my tractor is full of dust, scratches
mud and when it rains it will be clean again!!!

what has 18 legs and catches flies? a baseball team

willy

why did the blonde take a bale of hay to bed????

/ logsplitter question #48  
Buy a self powered unit. Easier to set up and use. Splits blocks over 2 1/2' through with ease. If you use PRIG in the fuel you don't have to drain it for winter. I started using PRIG 15 years ago and I have never had a problem with saws, mowers or anything fuel wise. Everyone's needs are different. Good luck

/ logsplitter question #49  
The biggest deal is to have some HELP! Splitting goes an awful lot faster with one or two more bodies around. My wife sometimes sits at the lever and I can go a LOT faster with less wear and tear on myself with her doing that. My splitter is run with a PTO pump and does 4 foot lengths.

/ logsplitter question #50  

I chose to run off my tractors hydraulics. One less engine to sit around let ethanol fuel beat it up. One less engine for the mice to get into AND my biggest find is my tractor idles quietly when splitting vs The on-board engine screaming as I split. See my avatar.. My splitter on front of tractor with homegrown bracket. My tractor has the additional hydraulics on it. A Detent to hold Tractor lever to let fluid circulate to Splitter. So my hookup was literally buying hoses and correct connectors.

Last edited: