logsplitter question

/ logsplitter question #61  
I have to wonder what problems are incurred that most people don't have time or energy to deal with "another small engine" to be maintained... I have at last count I believe 8 small engines on property and biggest thing is oil changes once a year in the 4 cycles... The two cycles I just clean and adjust as necessary biggest issue is keeping all the engines fueled.... The real time consumer is sharpening chain saw chain... Spend more time in a year doing that than time spent maintaining all the small engines...

/ logsplitter question #62  
I have had a Dirty Hand Tools 22 ton splitter (no longer in business)😟😟 for six years! I like the idea of having it on hand for maybe 4 hours at a time. We burn about seven cords a year. No more hand splitting for me! TSC has what's seems to be the same splitter with a couple of upgrades. I paid 1,000$ six years ago on sale. Change oil every spring easy peasey.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

/ logsplitter question #63  
I have never used a 3 point unit but I think a stand alone is better I have a 5.5 honda on mine an it splits 95% of what I give it ,why put hours on a big expensive tractor engine ,plus your tractor is free to transport logs.
3-point does have some advantages.
Easy to move when the split pile is cumbersome.
Easy to adjust to your comfortable working height.
Very mobile.

Very little or no maintenance.
(Actually could be called 'plug and play'.)

/ logsplitter question #64  
I bought a high enough quality tractor in the first place, so I don't have to worry about trying to save a few hours off it, running my 3 point splitter!

SR
Do you use a second tractor to haul wood to and from the splinter or do you do all that work by hand ?

/ logsplitter question #65  
Do you use a second tractor to haul wood to and from the splinter or do you do all that work by hand ?

He has multiple tractors but he fails to mention that when he’s preaching how great they are.

/ logsplitter question #66  
That is my vote. 3pt splitter and another tractor to carry the wood. Sounds like a good plan to me. (y)

/ logsplitter question #67  
3pt splitter.

My logs are all stacked with grapple from whatever I cut last and I split in one place. Generally split vertically. Don’t need a tractor to jockey anything around as it is already where it needs to be.

Hate the idea of another dang motor to maintain. Only a handful of chords per year at max.

/ logsplitter question #68  
I use my loader tractor to "stage the rounds" up off the ground by cutting over a trailer or wagon,

IMG-1278-S.jpg

then I use a smaller tractor to split with. That way I don't have to take the skidding winch off the loader tractor and put the splitter on it.

I could easily get by with one tractor to do it all, but I don't have to, as I've made so much money with my smaller tractor it is more than FREE, several times over. lol

Sometimes I split right into my "self unloading" trailer,

IMG-3077-S.jpg

It works REALLY good!

Sometimes I split right into half cord boxes I build,

Resized-20200312-143701-7771-S.jpg

IF I didn't have the smaller tractor, I could easily get by with just the loader tractor to do it all.

SR

Last edited:
   / logsplitter question #69  
I’m not sure how long I have had my splitter, 15 years maybe. I’m not sure how much time I’ve spent maintaining the engine and hydraulics. I change the oil every couple of years and the hydraulic fluid twice. The worse thing was when I had to fix some wires from mice damage. On average I’ve probably spent less than an hour a year maintaining it.

/ logsplitter question #70  
I use my loader tractor to "stage the rounds" up off the ground by cutting over a trailer or wagon,

IMG-1278-S.jpg

then I use a smaller tractor to split with. That way I don't have to take the skidding winch off the loader tractor and put the splitter on it.

I could easily get by with one tractor to do it all, but I don't have to, as I've made so much money with my smaller tractor it is more than FREE, several times over. lol

Sometimes I split right into my "self unloading" trailer,

IMG-3077-S.jpg

It works REALLY good!

Sometimes I split right into half cord boxes I build,

Resized-20200312-143701-7771-S.jpg

IF I didn't have the smaller tractor, I could easily get by with just the loader tractor to do it all.

SR
You're the man! Work smarter not harder bro!👍🏻✌🏻