Logsplitter Wedge, This way or That, Whats the Difference?

/ Logsplitter Wedge, This way or That, Whats the Difference? #91  
What is the brand and model? I like the design...

Timberwolf 3HD, my wife talked me into getting it as I already had a splitter of a lessor design... This splitter will last me the rest of my life and will be a pleasure to use along the way. It's not just powerful, it's of a GREAT design and that's the real difference.

I believe in saving until I can afford good tools and that's exactly what I did...

SR

/ Logsplitter Wedge, This way or That, Whats the Difference? #93  
Me too. And what are the little wing tips on the side wedges for?

It keeps the splits in, so it splits better, rather than letting them squirt off to the sides...

Like I said, GREAT design!

SR

/ Logsplitter Wedge, This way or That, Whats the Difference? #94  
Timberwolf 3HD, my wife talked me into getting it as I already had a splitter of a lessor design... This splitter will last me the rest of my life and will be a pleasure to use along the way. It's not just powerful, it's of a GREAT design and that's the real difference.

I believe in saving until I can afford good tools and that's exactly what I did...SR

Thanks..."A Great Design"...is exactly what I'm looking for...I have been reading the threads and acquiring the parts and components for several years...hope to start fabricating as soon as the usual Spring time tasks are completed...

I'm curious how many GPM your tractor puts out (PTO pump?) and how the splitter performs?...initially I am going to use the PB off on one of my tractors but plan to make it a self contained unit by next season...

/ Logsplitter Wedge, This way or That, Whats the Difference? #95  
You people argue worse then little kids and I know that cause my little brother (10)and sister (6) go at each other on everything

/ Logsplitter Wedge, This way or That, Whats the Difference? #96  
Timberwolf 3HD,

I believe in saving until I can afford good tools and that's exactly what I did...

SR

I agree 100%. Cheap tools are one headache after the next. How many ton is your splitter.

/ Logsplitter Wedge, This way or That, Whats the Difference? #97  
I am building my dream of a log splitter. In the process, I managed to obtain a surplus Wallenstein Horizontal Splitter. I was a little dismayed to see that the wedge is on the end and the pusher plate on the cylinder.

Wow. Stuff I had never thought of. I think I would have preffered the wedge on the end, as I am used to, but I have what I have.
,,,,?

/ Logsplitter Wedge, This way or That, Whats the Difference? #98  
I have NOT ever got one of ANYTHING stuck on the "wedge on the beam" of my splitter! In fact, I haven't even EVER stopped it pushing anything through the 4 way wedge! EVERYTHING goes right on through!

You won't find a hammer, maul, ax, chain or anything else near my splitter, because it just doesn't need it!

SR

I've not had anything get stuck on mine either. I've had some very grainy blocks that required me to add a push block to finish the split.

But I understand the concept of having the wedge on the ram as you can retract the ram and with some sort of blocking on the beam you could swipe the stuck piece off the wedge. I'd say that might be a necessity on a splitter with limited power.

/ Logsplitter Wedge, This way or That, Whats the Difference? #99  
I never even thought of that, and I don't think anyone mentioned it. That would make my decision right there if I had a choice. In this case, I don't. How would you get a stalled and stuck log off of your beam mounted wedge, short of some means of violence? Now things could get dangerous if you ask me.

I use two methods. The first is a lenth of chain with a chain hook on one end. loops around the back or the log (avoiding the wedge) and around the back side of the ram plate. Snug up hook chain and back the round off the wedge. Second method is to take a 5" round and place it on the beam perpendicular to the ram plate and log. snug it up to the stuck log and edge the round forward. 9 times out of 10 it will roll the stuck piece up and off the wedge. This is always the first thing I try, the chain trick is for that 10th time.

I only split around 15 to 20 cord a year personal use. No way I would rig my splitter to auto cycle on the split cycle. Might work ok for guys smarter than I am. I work alone and safety IS job #1.

/ Logsplitter Wedge, This way or That, Whats the Difference? #100  
You people argue worse then little kids and I know that cause my little brother (10)and sister (6) go at each other on everything

LOL, have to agree!
For me anything faster than an axe or maul is good, but then I am not counting chords per hour.
Besides I like to catch my breath now and then.