Logsplitter Wedge, This way or That, Whats the Difference?

/ Logsplitter Wedge, This way or That, Whats the Difference? #71  
Just for clarification. I can jog the unit into position with the joy stick, which can also be used to stop the unit at any time as well as the E-Stops. When the log is securely clamped, you press the cycle button. I would not advocate just laying the log there, pressing a button and walking away. Maybe I will get even lazier and start doing that though.

That begs the original question. Is there any difference between the two orientations with regard to the aspect of pieces flying out? Is one better than the other? This splitter has a small pusher plate with some serrations. Most other style splitters I have used just had a big smooth blank plate at the end, which is how the occassional irregular log slid out from.

Plus, if there is a particularly tough or irregular piece, you can always use the splitter the same as any other.

As far as stalling, that came to mind. I have not split enough wood with that loader aux circuit yet to know what it does when it stalls. Since the loader is quite quiet and running just above idle, there will be no need for ear protection and I would probably just remain aware of any weird sounds. One could EASILY put a timing circuit in there that would stop the thing after so many seconds anyway. Maybe not a bad idea if the limit switches ever screw up.
I use a narrow/2" serrated bar of steel for the stop plate opposing the moving wedge. I see no benefit to a wide plate and every benefit to narrow.
,,, Stalling a split is very inconvenient because there is wood stuck on the wedge. With a moving wedge getting it off is trivial.

/ Logsplitter Wedge, This way or That, Whats the Difference?
I never even thought of that, and I don't think anyone mentioned it. That would make my decision right there if I had a choice. In this case, I don't. How would you get a stalled and stuck log off of your beam mounted wedge, short of some means of violence? Now things could get dangerous if you ask me.

/ Logsplitter Wedge, This way or That, Whats the Difference? #73  
I have NOT ever got one of ANYTHING stuck on the "wedge on the beam" of my splitter! In fact, I haven't even EVER stopped it pushing anything through the 4 way wedge! EVERYTHING goes right on through!

You won't find a hammer, maul, ax, chain or anything else near my splitter, because it just doesn't need it!

SR

/ Logsplitter Wedge, This way or That, Whats the Difference? #74  
I have NOT ever got one of ANYTHING stuck on the "wedge on the beam" of my splitter! In fact, I haven't even EVER stopped it pushing anything through the 4 way wedge! EVERYTHING goes right on through!

You won't find a hammer, maul, ax, chain or anything else near my splitter, because it just doesn't need it!

SR

You must not split much wood. It does happen. I sometimes use a axe to chop off the last little bit the splitter won't get.

/ Logsplitter Wedge, This way or That, Whats the Difference? #75  
I never even thought of that, and I don't think anyone mentioned it. That would make my decision right there if I had a choice. In this case, I don't. How would you get a stalled and stuck log off of your beam mounted wedge, short of some means of violence? Now things could get dangerous if you ask me.
Iv seen it done. Wondered what the neighbor was hammering on with a sledge on his log splitter. He had happened upon a piece that wouldnt go thru - stopped his ram. Iv had 2 or 3, maybe more, in the 30 yr life of my moving wedge splitter ... perhaps because I split anything regardless of whether its an optimum piece. No issue - just pull it out hydraulically and try again. If I had gotten logs stuck on a stationary wedge Id know the exact number and pretty quick being careful in choosing the logs.

/ Logsplitter Wedge, This way or That, Whats the Difference? #76  
Doesnt take anything special to pull a stuck log off a wedge on beam. Just a loop of chain throwed over the pusher plate and over the stuck log and back the cyl up. I have a 5in cyl and 6way wedge and I split big wood full of knots. Its gotten stuck exactly once, and wouldnt have then If I had of turned the butt end of the log toward the wedge instead of trying to split the crotch end first.

/ Logsplitter Wedge, This way or That, Whats the Difference? #77  
If its stuck on the wedge then it doesn't matter if the wedge moves or not, its still stuck until you pry/hammer it off. I like the wedge on beam for horizontal and moveable wedge for vertical..Got one of each in fact

/ Logsplitter Wedge, This way or That, Whats the Difference? #78  
It depends on both the splitter size and the wood being split. If you only split nice straight ash less then a foot in diameter you have probably never got stuck. If your using a little ten ton splitter and splitting some big curly yellow birch that grew on the edge of a field so the grain is braided around the side limb knots then your going to get stuck sooner or later. Splitting maul. wedges. crow bars, chain on piston pull back etc. I've used them all then sawed the offending block in quarters with a chain saw and stuffed it in the furnace as is. You do come to appreciate a nice big wood splitter with plenty of tons of splitting force to just walk through anything you place on the beam.

/ Logsplitter Wedge, This way or That, Whats the Difference? #79  
If its stuck on the wedge then it doesn't matter if the wedge moves or not, its still stuck until you pry/hammer it off. I like the wedge on beam for horizontal and moveable wedge for vertical..Got one of each in fact
I just brace the log forward and retract the ram. Some have "wings" around the wedge park position that stops the log from backing up. I took mine off once and noticed more convenient operation so left them off.

I use mine horizontal - just toss my splits straight into a wheelbarrow as I make them. Goes fast with 2 wheelbarrows and a helper to stack. ... Otherwise I split one and stack. Variety.

/ Logsplitter Wedge, This way or That, Whats the Difference? #80  
You must not split much wood. It does happen. I sometimes use a axe to chop off the last little bit the splitter won't get.

I guess it depends on what you consider much wood??? I spit over 50 cords last late summer/fall, including this oak with extremely tough stringy crotch wood,

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

Does it look like much to you??

standard.jpg

See any axes/hammers/chains/ or anything else lieing around in the pictures???

SR