Long 6 cord Woodshed....finished

/ Long 6 cord Woodshed....finished #31  
I've seen deck screws, heavy ones at that shear frequently. I put a 2x6 board fence onto 6x6 pt rough sawn posts. The snow coming off the roof piled up against them and snapped the three 4" screws holding the board on. These screws are brittle compared to nails. It is that brittleness that makes them shear sooner than a nail. Think of it as metal fatigue brought on by expansion and shrinking from the temperature. In a controlled environment, they may do better that a nail and have superior shear strength.
When in doubt- 20 penny nails at angles and 7/16 or 1/2 inch lag bolts into pre dilled holes! I've never had a 20 penny nail shear - or any nail made of mild steel.

I like that wood storage design!

Before I would cut notches into posts, I'd drill holes all the way through and use threaded rods, with nuts and washers - less stock removal. Fill the hole with grease or tar and that will keep the rod from rusting where you can't see it. Do the same where it is exposed.
I'm not a fan of threaded rod; what would be better is to use concrete anchor bolts. They are threaded at one end and have the short rt angle bend at the other end. Throw in some washers/nut and you are all set.
I am not an engineer, I tend to over build. I do it by what looks right.

Last edited:
   / Long 6 cord Woodshed....finished
Quick, you are right and I never looked it up...... I was going by how 1/4 cord in a bin feels on the forks of the tractor. This website says 4K, and I think your 6K is more correct when green.
Firewood Facts

Yes I should have notched the 6'bys and I would have poured a slab, except my septic tank is under the right portion of the rack so I thought wood frame would be better. Two of the posts are sitting on the tank with a concrete collar around them....now I am wondering about the stress on the tank with that much weight. Maybe a slab is not such a bad idea .....I opened up a can' o worms...eh?

I can't get 2x8's under the existing ones to notch...not enough clearance clarence. What I can do is make pads out of 2x10 or 2x8's and sit them flat on the ground, then 6x6's on top attached to the frame. This would displace a lot of weight if I did them every 4 feet or so.

/ Long 6 cord Woodshed....finished #33  
Man, motor, your project is a lot like mine - a roller coaster ride!! From WOW, that's great, to oh me, wha' was I NOT thinking?!?

Anyway, ye're on the right path, I think. Hmmm, on ye septic tank partly, eh? Might want to rethink that one too... Keep us posted.

Man, motor, your project is a lot like mine - a roller coaster ride!! From WOW, that's great, to oh me, wha' was I NOT thinking?!?

Anyway, ye're on the right path, I think. Hmmm, on ye septic tank partly, eh? Might want to rethink that one too... Keep us posted.

Ha...I don't fool around with little mistakes....I make 'em BIG :thumbsup:

/ Long 6 cord Woodshed....finished #35  
Awesome Shed Rick. Now tell us about this root cellar.
Please...................
hugs, Brandi

/ Long 6 cord Woodshed....finished #38  
That is THE nicest log shed I've ever seen.......:thumbsup:

Thanks NF.....it will be nicer when it "works" and i think I have it licked. I put 6x6's every 4' under the three 2x8 joists to the ground on a PT 2x10 pad(concrete would have required ripping up almost the whole floor). I then bought 250 6" Oly Log Hog screws and used about 175 of them on the foundation structure. I also slabbed on the outside joist on both sides a 2x10 the full length of the shed and every post got 4 to 7 Oly screws.

Here are pic's of the 6x6's and the double joist:
Rootcellar004.jpg

Rootcellar002.jpg

Then I re-stacked 2+ cords in the center and held my breath:
Rootcellar001.jpg

It's been a few days and there has been nop ..."movement" :thumbsup:

Oh, and those are 16' 2x10's and I staggered the seam over the 16' 2x8 joists.....