Looking at a brush cutter for the mini-ex, Your opinions please

/ Looking at a brush cutter for the mini-ex, Your opinions please #1  

Bigfoot62

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 5090M; JD 5085M; JD 5083E; NH TN70A; Ford 2600
Hello All,
I have a Takeuchi TB260 mini-excavator. (6 ton class, open ROPS)
I'm looking at buying a brush cutter attachment for it. The dealer, where I purchased the TB260, sells Blue Diamond brand. I was wondering if anyone here had experience with BD, or any other brand cutters on their mini-ex.

I'm going to try to address a couple issues that will come up in this discussion.
1. Yes, I know that using a brush cutter on an open station mini-ex won't be as "comfortable" for me as a cab machine, but that's what I have, and it's paid for. I'm already figuring for a plexiglass windshield.
2. I want something really well made. Something that I won't tear up. I want this to be a one-time purchase.
3. Price is always important, but quality is more important. I don't want to end up with "buyer's remorse" and have to upgrade. (see #2 above)
4. The cutter has to be multi-purpose. I want to be able to mow my pond levee, cut limbs, and chew up brush and small trees. (what we call under-brushing or light clearing work)
5. I want a rotary brush cutter. No flail mowers or mulchers.

A couple weeks ago, I rented a Kubota track loader with a brush cutter. It was real handy, and I got a lot done. I was considering renting one for a month. Then, my cousin told me that I could get a brush cutter for my mini-ex. I didn't even know they existed until yesterday. I have watched a few videos, and I believe that a cutter mounted on my mini-ex will be much more versatile than the skid steer setup. Plus, I already have the TB260.

As of right now, I'm really impressed with the Blue Diamond, but the Eterra Cyclone looks good too. Both are $$$. My cousin suggested the MTL Attachments XC5. It's less than half the price of the Blue Diamond or Eterra, and comes direct with free shipping. That's really interesting.

Thanks in advance.

/ Looking at a brush cutter for the mini-ex, Your opinions please
Have. You tried renting a brush cutter for your mini-ex?

I've looked at the two local(ish) rental companies in my area. United (25 miles away) and Sunbelt (70 miles). They don't have them. A 4" capacity brush cutter for skid steer is $1530 + tax for a month. I can buy the MTL for 3x a monthly rental.
Also talked to the dealer where I bought the mini-ex. They sell them, but don't rent them. I will check with some dealers of other brand machines this week.

Not sure yet what I'll eventually do, but with everyone's help, maybe I'll eventually figure it out.

/ Looking at a brush cutter for the mini-ex, Your opinions please #4  
I’m sure some with more experience with excavator mounted brush cutters will jump in here.

I’m looking to learn from this thread.

/ Looking at a brush cutter for the mini-ex, Your opinions please #5  
Blue Diamond cutters are very stout. I have seen them and talked to satisfied owners about them but have no direct user experience.
Be sure that whatever you buy that your excavators flow spec meets the cutters requirements.

Blue Diamond cutters are very stout. I have seen them and talked to satisfied owners about them but have no direct user experience.
Be sure that whatever you buy that your excavators flow spec meets the cutters requirements.

The Blue Diamond Severe duty cutter requires 16-26 GPM. My TB260 is rated at 27 GPM on the Primary Aux circuit. Got that covered. That's one of the main reasons that I bought a Takeuchi. They have the best hydraulics of the mini-ex market.

/ Looking at a brush cutter for the mini-ex, Your opinions please #8  
I had a 48 inch flail on my 5 ton Volvo and it worked very good. Nope did not have the flow needed to work great for flow could not keep the mower at full rpm and still move machine as needed to. But the excavator worked great in positioning and keeping cutter level. JD salesman told me would need oil cooler with fan just to take care of the cutter's added heat. I did not add one nor have issue for only used in cooler weather and not for long periods of time.

Lane Shark may have a product that would suite you.

Looked at the Lane Shark. Don't see that they make anything except the FEL mount. Nothing for a mini-ex. And, the Lane Shark is a 2"-3" cutting capacity. That's too light for what I want.

/ Looking at a brush cutter for the mini-ex, Your opinions please #10  
Hi Bigfoot, sounds like the tak is working out fine for you, glad to hear. I've kinda been tossing around buying one of these same brush /tree cutters for the mini ex also. I would like to see one of the mfgs use the blade design that Brown Manufacturing Corp uses for there 3pt hitch tractor mounted tree cutters. They use a blade design that is beveled on both sides and also the end of the blade is beveled. Then they alternate in there 4 blade cutter 2 bevel up across from one another and 2 bevel down across from one another, I believe it would work fine in a 2 blade cutter also. So if you think about it somewhat like a chain saw or even a pull saw cuts, alternating sides. It actually cuts a path for the thickness of the blade to travel. Seems like it would be much less abusive to the life of the rest of the machine to actually cut through that heavy wood than brute force a single beveled lawn style blade through. You have to go to Brown mfg Corp website and then their brochures to see , might make more clear than my explanation. B