Looking at Bad Boy Tractors, thoughts?

/ Looking at Bad Boy Tractors, thoughts? #281  
^ for sure.

I know this, whenever I run my Kioti KB2475 backhoe hanging way off the back of my little CK3510 tractor, I am acutely aware of how much potential for damage there is. It's a light duty digging machine, as is any CUT backhoe.

My rule of thumb is, if you are jerking the rear of the tractor around, you are probably digging too hard. I wonder if OgT would like to tell us how hard he was truly running that poor backhoe.

/ Looking at Bad Boy Tractors, thoughts? #282  
The pictures he posted look to me like it was run hard and not greased on a regular basis either.
Good observation, there's no visible grease at all. My backhoe is covered in grease because I pump it well through every joint every 5-8 hours of digging work.

/ Looking at Bad Boy Tractors, thoughts? #283  
Good observation, there's no visible grease at all. My backhoe is covered in grease because I pump it well through every joint every 5-8 hours of digging work.
Odd place for a break... trying to reconcile the direction of forces to pull it apart there.

/ Looking at Bad Boy Tractors, thoughts? #284  
One thing I've noticed with owners that have back hoes attached to the back end of their smaller tractors and that is, they use the stick and bucket to move the unit around which always places extreme stress on the backhoe components. They aren't meant to do that with in the first place. Way back when I had one, I was guilty of doing that myself and snapped a sway link off the tractor I had it on. It was a Kubota hoe. I sold it years ago and now if I require a trench dug, I rent a machine or call the guy down the road and have him bring his excavator up and dig it for me. To me, that is the ONE IMPLEMENT that really don't belong on and compact or sub compact tractor in the first place.

It seems the dealer I work at part time, every purchaser of a new unit, wants a backhoe. The owner always tries to discourage them from buying it but they buy it anyway, use it a couple times (maybe) and then take it off (which is always a PITA in the first place) and it sits, collecting dust on their barn or tarped up outside somewhere.

I look at them as an expensive attachment with limited use for most owners.

Easier to go rent one for a day or two and if you do break it from abuse, the onus of fixing it lies with the rental entity, not you.

Always nice to own (if you can afford it that is), but renting one absolves you of the cost of repair. Kind of similar to wood chippers and stump grinders. You grind all your stumps and the grinder sits in the corner or you chip up all your brush and that sits as well.

The implements I put on my tractors I use frequently which is why I own them. Have enough crap sitting in the barn as it is, like the snowblower I have not used in 3 years because there hasn't been enough snow to go through the hassle of putting it on.

My 2 cents, take it or leave it.

/ Looking at Bad Boy Tractors, thoughts? #285  
One thing I've noticed with owners that have back hoes attached to the back end of their smaller tractors and that is, they use the stick and bucket to move the unit around which always places extreme stress on the backhoe components. They aren't meant to do that with in the first place. Way back when I had one, I was guilty of doing that myself and snapped a sway link off the tractor I had it on. It was a Kubota hoe. I sold it years ago and now if I require a trench dug, I rent a machine or call the guy down the road and have him bring his excavator up and dig it for me. To me, that is the ONE IMPLEMENT that really don't belong on and compact or sub compact tractor in the first place.

It seems the dealer I work at part time, every purchaser of a new unit, wants a backhoe. The owner always tries to discourage them from buying it but they buy it anyway, use it a couple times (maybe) and then take it off (which is always a PITA in the first place) and it sits, collecting dust on their barn or tarped up outside somewhere.

I look at them as an expensive attachment with limited use for most owners.

Easier to go rent one for a day or two and if you do break it from abuse, the onus of fixing it lies with the rental entity, not you.

Always nice to own (if you can afford it that is), but renting one absolves you of the cost of repair. Kind of similar to wood chippers and stump grinders. You grind all your stumps and the grinder sits in the corner or you chip up all your brush and that sits as well.

The implements I put on my tractors I use frequently which is why I own them. Have enough crap sitting in the barn as it is, like the snowblower I have not used in 3 years because there hasn't been enough snow to go through the hassle of putting it on.

My 2 cents, take it or leave it.
This exactly.
People tell me I should get a backhoe. I look at them like they were crazy. Last I look, a backhoe for mine cost $6k or $7k. I would never use it enough to justify that kind of expense. Rent one for a few hundred dollars for the couple of jobs i need done makes sense.

/ Looking at Bad Boy Tractors, thoughts? #286  
People tend to come on here and disparage something as a rule anyway. You see very few posts that praise anything. Kind of how our entire society is today actually. Of course no one is happy when something breaks but they need to look back and ascertain if that breakage was a result of their own doing or is it was a failure due to construction. I lean towards the former, not the latter myself. I've broken a few implements in my day and it's usually because I extended the limitations of that implement.
To play with big toys, you should know how to fix stuff or have a really good friend that does.

/ Looking at Bad Boy Tractors, thoughts? #287  
The only reason I have the Kioti backhoe for my tractor is because I bought a used package of tractor, backhoe, a few implements, and trailer. I would never have spent the $7k+ myself otherwise, because my feelings were confirmed when I first went to use it - pretty weak, too easy to drag the tractor around, and just a whole order of magnitude less effective then the rental Bobcat E35s I was used to.

Nonetheless! I have it, so I do use it. It typically rides on the tractor for 2-3 warmer months of the year when I try to focus on all my digging projects (mostly smaller tree felling and stump removal). I have the install/removal process down to about 30-40 minutes each way now. Definitely a chore though.

Mine came with the 16" bucket which is a nice balance overall, but a little too wide for the power it has. I want a ~10" bucket for better narrow trenching and stumping, but they are $1000 from Kioti! crazy.