Looking at new Kubota L3301HST w/ FEL, BH

/ Looking at new Kubota L3301HST w/ FEL, BH #1  

gsganzer

Elite Member
Tractor
L3800 w/FEL and BH77, BX 2200 w/FEL and MMM
Been researching and going round and round for a few weeks on what our new tractor should be. If I had jumped on things earlier, I probably would have gone with a Tier 3 Kioti CK35HST, but they're all but extinct at this stage of the game. So now I'm looking at new Kioti and Kubota options.

It sounds like my Kioti dealer won't have anything comparable until June. So I'm leaning towards a new 2014 L3200 or 2015 Kubota L3301 both similarly equipped with T4's, FEL and BH. Main chores are pasture maintenance, fence building and some outdoor construction (patio, tree planting, outside kitchen etc.) on our current 7 acre property. Then things die down until we find our retirement acreage in a few years (hopefully 150- 250acre hunting property).

Anyone have any feedback on the L3200 vs. new L3301's?

Is the Tier IV that big of a PITA? Or is it the "hate the new mandate" syndrome?

Last edited:
   / Looking at new Kubota L3301HST w/ FEL, BH #2  
My new L3301 just got delivered today. Given the temperature, I drove it around the driveway and put it away. The old timer that delivered it says the Kubota tier iv's are no different than anything else he runs on the farm. I got mine with the shuttle shift, as I want power over easy. QA FEL for an extra 500 bucks.

/ Looking at new Kubota L3301HST w/ FEL, BH #3  
The L3200 is Tier IV "interim", like almost all tractors since 2011. I have one, and it's simple and has no claptrap on the engine that impacts operation.

The L3301 is Tier IV "final", and has a diesel particular filter which will call for regenerations from time to time. From what I have read here, it can range from no issue to a real pain in the butt.

All else equal, I'd get a 3200 if you can still find one.

The only thing to be aware of is that the L3200 has a jumpy 3-pt hitch when operated in a certain manner (slow lift with a heavy implement). The L3301 apparently addressed the issue. It hasn't been a problem for me on my L3200, due to the way I use the 3-pt, but it does bother some people. So you might want to be sure you're OK with it before going with a 3200.

Knowing what I know, I'd go with a 3200 over the 3301. Just have heard too many horror stories about the DPF Kubotas misbehaving.

/ Looking at new Kubota L3301HST w/ FEL, BH #4  
View attachment 413342

New 3301 sitting in the garage. It was just too cold yesterday to run it up the hill to the shop. Very nice machine. BTW, the only horror stories on the tier iv's regeneration is from idiots who haven't taken the time to learn what to do, or mostly, what NOT to do. It's not the tractors fault...

/ Looking at new Kubota L3301HST w/ FEL, BH #5  
View attachment 413342

New 3301 sitting in the garage. It was just too cold yesterday to run it up the hill to the shop. Very nice machine. BTW, the only horror stories on the tier iv's regeneration is from idiots who haven't taken the time to learn what to do, or mostly, what NOT to do. It's not the tractors fault...

That's most likely very true. That said, the final tier 4 adds some significant electronics to the tractor. No way around that. Horror story? No. Extra things to fail? Yes. If I was looking at the two side by side, I know which I'd pick, and it should be considerably cheaper too.

/ Looking at new Kubota L3301HST w/ FEL, BH #6  
That's most likely very true. That said, the final tier 4 adds some significant electronics to the tractor. No way around that. Horror story? No. Extra things to fail? Yes. If I was looking at the two side by side, I know which I'd pick, and it should be considerably cheaper too.

I can agree with you on that. However, this is the way it's gonna be from now on.

/ Looking at new Kubota L3301HST w/ FEL, BH
The only thing to be aware of is that the L3200 has a jumpy 3-pt hitch when operated in a certain manner (slow lift with a heavy implement). The L3301 apparently addressed the issue. It hasn't been a problem for me on my L3200, due to the way I use the 3-pt, but it does bother some people. So you might want to be sure you're OK with it before going with a 3200.

S219, I may have a chance to step up to a L3800 instead of a L3200. Do you know if the L3800 has the same 3-pt issue. I assume it does.

/ Looking at new Kubota L3301HST w/ FEL, BH #8  
S219, I may have a chance to step up to a L3800 instead of a L3200. Do you know if the L3800 has the same 3-pt issue. I assume it does.
It does, try both of them out... might get lucky with one that works.

/ Looking at new Kubota L3301HST w/ FEL, BH #9  
They do have the same issue, or most of them anyway. Really need to try it out, though. Depending on your usage it may be a complete non-issue.

/ Looking at new Kubota L3301HST w/ FEL, BH #10  
The hitch on my L3200 isn't smooth, but it's not that bad, definitely very usable. The L3200 & L3800 are identical except for HP. Some of them might have smoother hitches than others, so test them out with some weight on them. To test, put weight on the hitch & try to do some small precise movements with the hitch. It shows up mostly when lifting, not lowering.

The L3301 is more or less identical to the L3200 only with the Tier 4 emissions junk & possibly a smoother hitch. The one I test drove had a noticeably smoother hitch than my L3200.

I occasionally wish I got a L3800 over my L3200, but not often. Plowing 12" of snow today with R4 tires I was lugging the engine as much as I was having traction issues. More HP would help when running a tiller & occasionally the rotary cutter. I have $1000 worth of regret, but definitely not $2k or more worth.