Looking for a RH axel Shaft for a FX16D. no luck finding one so far. anyone have one or any help locating it would be greatly appreciated.

/ Looking for a RH axel Shaft for a FX16D. no luck finding one so far. anyone have one or any help locating it would be greatly appreciated. #11  
So far no machine shops in my area have the correct machines to duplicate the splines and the gear at the end of the shaft since they have a curve to them.

one side note, I did find a F155D salvage tractor within a couple hour drive from me. From the pictures the rear axel housing has the same square style as mine, and looks close. have not been able to find any parts manual for the F155D to see of these two would match up. if nothing else I'll take a trip and see if it does.

All the help community help has been great and the hunt goes on.
Worst case if you never find the axle and that F155D axle is an 'almost fit' - buy both of his complete axle assemblies, if they will bolt up to your transmission. Make your own Frankensteinmar! :)

That sounds silly but when the 3-point pin ripped out of my axle housing on the YM240, replacing the housing complete with axle, hub etc cost a third of what I was quoted for a bare housing. Because that quote included freight both ways, returning the useless core to avoid a core charge. And I avoided the cost of having a local shop press out bearings, hub etc. My repair was simply a bolt-on of the assembly.

Last edited:
   / Looking for a RH axel Shaft for a FX16D. no luck finding one so far. anyone have one or any help locating it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks Winston I got into this group as well. making some progress with a company named rush gear. Sent them pictures and waiting on a response.
back in my Jeep days I thought those guys had each other’s back. Yanmar owners are on a higher level. Brand new to these groups and in less than two days y’all have given more information than I’ve found over the last month. Thanks again.

/ Looking for a RH axel Shaft for a FX16D. no luck finding one so far. anyone have one or any help locating it would be greatly appreciated. #13  
Are they actually spiral cut or just cut on an angle. Do you have a picture of the actual axle. The bull gear in the parts drawing looks like it's straight cut on an angle. Any machine shop equipped to cut gears can cut that. Even I can cut gears like that in my sparsely equipped machine shop. ;)

/ Looking for a RH axel Shaft for a FX16D. no luck finding one so far. anyone have one or any help locating it would be greatly appreciated. #14  
Are they actually spiral cut or just cut on an angle. Do you have a picture of the actual axle. The bull gear in the parts drawing looks like it's straight cut on an angle. Any machine shop equipped to cut gears can cut that. Even I can cut gears like that in my sparsely equipped machine shop. ;)
He did post images on the other forum, YTOG. There are 3 sets of spline teeth. One set is a curved spline to mesh with the gear housing. It's direction specific.

Winston did provide a custom gear manufacture who will take on odd jobs like this. They've been in business for several decades.

Here's the listserv thread if anyone is interested.

/ Looking for a RH axel Shaft for a FX16D. no luck finding one so far. anyone have one or any help locating it would be greatly appreciated. #15  
He did post images on the other forum, YTOG. There are 3 sets of spline teeth. One set is a curved spline to mesh with the gear housing. It's direction specific.

Winston did provide a custom gear manufacture who will take on odd jobs like this. They've been in business for several decades.

Here's the listserv thread if anyone is interested.
Still looks straight cut to me. That failed spline end is straight too. The angle on that is from a twisting failure. If it were me, I'd weld it back together. The spline is not needed in the twisted area--Or so it looks.
1-Spline.jpg

/ Looking for a RH axel Shaft for a FX16D. no luck finding one so far. anyone have one or any help locating it would be greatly appreciated. #16  
Still looks straight cut to me. That failed spline end is straight too. The angle on that is from a twisting failure. If it were me, I'd weld it back together. The spline is not needed in the twisted area--Or so it looks.
View attachment 749163
Weld it or possibly bore both pieces and join the to pieces with a setup-stud like it's done in automotive engine blocks. The alignment to have both pieces concentric to each other is critical for operation. Both for welding or pilot threading.

/ Looking for a RH axel Shaft for a FX16D. no luck finding one so far. anyone have one or any help locating it would be greatly appreciated. #17  
You could bore each piece for a small dowel pin to keep them aligned. It might be tough to thread and keep it straight. A lathe is needed here. I'd also turn the matting ends to a short angle cone so that the weld can reach to the pin. After the two pieces are pressed on the pin, fill the void with good weld. Keep in mind the length.

You will need a way to turn the shaft while welding so you pull it out of alignment with a hot spot.

/ Looking for a RH axel Shaft for a FX16D. no luck finding one so far. anyone have one or any help locating it would be greatly appreciated. #18  
For a non-critical application welding should work.

But this is an instance where the end of the axle got twisted off from too much torque. The weld will need to be ground down to original diameter. I don't see how a weld-repaired axle could match or exceed the original strength.

Seem like this could fail again if run hard.

/ Looking for a RH axel Shaft for a FX16D. no luck finding one so far. anyone have one or any help locating it would be greatly appreciated.
Update... Finally back up and running. Finding major parts for a gray market is not an easy task. Came across a dealer in Greece that has large supply of Yanmar parts, they didn't have it in stock but offered to manufacture the part. Long story made short, got the new shaft last week, fits perfect and the price was cheaper than I was quoted on a used part that wasn't in the tractor when the dealer took it apart. Did a two and half hour test run cutting some easy grass and moved to the back of the land with some more challenging terrain and it passed the test.
Anyone needing a part and cant find it try paourisparts.gr/en Enea is the person that helped me from beginning to end.
New A.jpg