Buying Advice Looking for a tractor

/ Looking for a tractor #1  

Chevalia

Tractor
Looking for one to mow 40 acres once a week
Looking for a good used tractor to mow 40 acres once a week. I'm new to tractors so help help help. I hear I need a diesel, four wheel drive front end loader and mower. I don't need something that is going to break down and I also need a tractor 101 education so I can care for it properly, operate it safely, etc.

/ Looking for a tractor #3  
Looking for a good used tractor to mow 40 acres once a week. I'm new to tractors so help help help. I hear I need a diesel, four wheel drive front end loader and mower. I don't need something that is going to break down and I also need a tractor 101 education so I can care for it properly, operate it safely, etc.

How long do want it to take to mow? Are you using the tractor for anything else at all?

/ Looking for a tractor #4  
As soon as you say "USED" the whole buying program changes,,
With used,, you gotta find what is available within transport distance of you,,

If you are in California,, I could offer you my tractor for $10,, but, it would be overpriced, because of what it would cost to move.

So,, more details, Where are you located? and what is available local to you,,,??

/ Looking for a tractor #5  
Welcome to TBN.

Need lot more info.
Type transmisson,horse power,type mower,future plans etc. etc.
Lots good info on TBN over the years..try search.

/ Looking for a tractor #6  
To mow 40 acres every week you will need a big enough tractor to handle a 15 ft batwing mower, But as others have said there are many more variables that will come into play. More info needed.

/ Looking for a tractor #7  
Looking for a good used tractor to mow 40 acres once a week. I also need a tractor 101 education so I can care for it properly, operate it safely, etc.

Here is a basic mowing calculator. If your ground is flat and level you probably can mow at 5-mph. If you have hills, have to mow around trees or the ground is rough, viz pasture, your average speed will be more akin to 3-mph.

A 144" wide mower will cut about 6-1/2 acres per hour @ 5-mph. So 40 acres will take at least 6-1/2 to seven hours with breaks and fueling. I would not mow a full day without a cabbed tractor, which adds $8,000 to open station tractor price and 800 pounds to open station tractor weight. Too much heat, too many bee stings, too much pollen and too much mold, mowing with an open station tractor.

Operating a 144" mower with a cabbed tractor featuring A/C requires minimum 70 net tractor horsepower.
This is the heaviest subset of compact tractors. With this rig you could mow quarterly, rather than weekly, if desired.

'Previously owned' you are looking at $60,000 for a 70-horsepower, 4-WD, cabbed tractor and rotary cutter. Tractor prices vary 20% by USA region.

For almost everything else a tractor does tractor weight is the primary consideration. For mowing, where you have to power the tractor and a particularly power hungry implement, tractor power is the primary consideration.

A 70-horsepower tractor will have a bare weight of 5,500 pounds. Most consider this weight just adequate for general farm work on forty acres.

Bare tractor weight is a fundamental tractor specification easily found in sales brochures and web sites, readily comparable across tractor brands and tractor models, new and used. Shop your weight range within tractor brands. Budget will eliminate some choices. Collect a dealer brochure for each tractor model in your weight range.

BUY ENOUGH TRACTOR!​

Last edited:
   / Looking for a tractor #9  
Looking for a good used tractor to mow 40 acres once a week.

Where?
40 acres in the northern plains grows a lot slower than 40 acres in Florida.
Is it flat?
What type of grass?
Is it a 40 acre golf course?
Lot's more info needed.

• Good Post
Reactions: JWR
   / Looking for a tractor #10  
If you have 40 acres to mow.... why on earth would you do it every single week? Most people only mow that many acres 3-5 times per year.