looking for brand recomendation

/ looking for brand recomendation #1  

Mickey_Fx

Veteran Member
Tractor
Yanmar Fx24D, Cub 3204
Couple days ago my welding equipment walked off. I'm no where near being an expert in this area.

Lincoln nearest model to what I had is their 140C model. I might like to upgrade to a small 220V model.

Any preferences brand wise between Lincoln, Miller or Hobart? Would also entertain comments on features found in this size machine between brands.

TIA

/ looking for brand recomendation #2  
Couple days ago my welding equipment walked off. I'm no where near being an expert in this area.

Lincoln nearest model to what I had is their 140C model. I might like to upgrade to a small 220V model.

Any preferences brand wise between Lincoln and Miller? Would also entertain comments on features found in this size machine between brands.

TIA
I have a Miller 180 (220). My first attempt at welding and I've been very satisfied with it. No basis for comparison but it works well for me. I also had a buddy using it to do some work on my old Mack and this guy (a pro) really liked it-in particular for the sheet metal work he was doing.

I've also used it fabricating out of 1/4 stock and it works well. At the other end of the spectrum I have been rebuilding Fein Multimaster blades (new ones go for 30 bucks) by taking $10 pull saw blade replacements (I can cut about four out of one blade) and welding them to the Fein blade. thin stock but with good temp control it works.

/ looking for brand recomendation #3  
Our sponsor Everlast can't keep the units on the shelves. You should check them out too. :thumbsup:

/ looking for brand recomendation #4  
Wise to hit MULTIPLE welding forums for inputs, especially pertaining to your intended use.

A welder is an answer to a question. The question is "what do you want to weld?".

220 volts will give you considerably more power and is a Good Idea.

/ looking for brand recomendation #5  
jake98 said:
Our sponsor Everlast can't keep the units on the shelves. You should check them out too. :thumbsup:

I bought a Pa 140 and I like it so far works great.

/ looking for brand recomendation #6  

Never really looked at their Mig machines before, went to their site. Like to get my hands on the MTS 400 and take it for a test drive. :cool:

/ looking for brand recomendation #7  
I have a lincoln 180. They are good. So are Hobart and miller.
Whatever you buy you will have a way better range with 220v and less chance of out growing the machine.

/ looking for brand recomendation #8  

Any preferences brand wise between Lincoln, Miller or Hobart? Would also entertain comments on features found in this size machine between brands.

TIA

Take a look at the new Thermal Arc 181 Mig, Tig, Stick 3 in 1 unit. Under $1000 and has a Ton of extra features. Hot Start and Arc Force on Stick, Down Slope, Remote and Trigger lock for tig. Inductance control for Mig. These are on The Thermadyne web site and U-tube.

/ looking for brand recomendation #9  
yomax4 does that machine have adjustable hot start and arc force?
Can't say I've ever ran a Thermal Arc machine, I know several very qualified weldors who have and they just rave about the arc.

/ looking for brand recomendation #10  
yomax4 does that machine have adjustable hot start and arc force?
Can't say I've ever ran a Thermal Arc machine, I know several very qualified weldors who have and they just rave about the arc.

I was looking at them on the thermal arc website a while ago, and I seem to remember they did have adjustable arc force atleast, cant remember if hot start was adjustable.