Looking for inexpensive AW46 - Hydraulic Oil

/ Looking for inexpensive AW46 - Hydraulic Oil #71  
Can Traveller Premium Anti-Wear Hydraulic Oil ISO 46 be used in place of "Case TCH Fluid"?
I'm new - and purchases a Case 480E.
Manual says to fill the reservoir with Case TCH Fluid. It does not say much else.
I am amazed how people cheap up on Oil and Filters which are the vital lifelines of the equipment they lubricate or power. It may also void Warranty. If you were getting a blood transfusion, would you ask for the cheap stuff?

/ Looking for inexpensive AW46 - Hydraulic Oil #72  
If you were getting a blood transfusion, would you ask for the cheap stuff?
Good point. Far as I'm concerned the ONLY thing TSC has that I use is Rotella T6 and Powerservice Bio-Kleen and even then you can find that elsewhere, less expensive.

Everything today costs an arm and a leg but that has to do with inflation mostly.

/ Looking for inexpensive AW46 - Hydraulic Oil #73  
I never understood why people spend literally thousands of bucks on a unit and then want to buy the cheapest rot gut fluid they can and the cheapest filters they can find and then when the machine fails, they blame it on everything but themselves.

I never skimp on fluids or filters myself. Case specifies their fluids for a reason. Reason being, the engineers that designed the unit, know far better than the average user, what is required.

I don't understand it either, but at my shop I would get asked that question about using cheaper fluids and filters everyday.

The answer never varies from anyone whose work depends on using the best quality materials.
But after all these years, I stillI wonder where so many people got the idea in the first place?

I realize that is not the case with the OP's original question. He was asking if a specialized hydraulic fluid could replace a combination trans/hydraulic fluid. The answer to that one is it cannot because they are two entirely different products with different characteristics and has nothing at all to do with price or quality - it's confusing because the names are similar.

rScotty

/ Looking for inexpensive AW46 - Hydraulic Oil #74  
Thanks @Sawyer Rob I will look into some TCH Fluid.

I need to also read up some about the function of the fluids in this machine. I was thinking it was just pumped and used for the cylinders actuation. Did not think it might be for the Transmission. That would make since - why have 2 reservoirs for hydraulic fluid.

Since the manual said use CASE TCH and it being a Case. If you ask any seller what to use, they will tell you theirs is the best. I will ask questions instead of picking the most expensive product thinking it is better.

/ Looking for inexpensive AW46 - Hydraulic Oil #75  
He was asking if a specialized hydraulic fluid could replace a combination trans/hydraulic fluid. The answer to that one is it cannot because they are two entirely different products with different characteristics and has nothing at all to do with price or quality - it's confusing because the names are similar.

rScotty
yeah, I need to read up some more.
I bought a used 1989 Case 480E LL to re-gravel my own driveway and some other projects. The machine was inexpensive and seems to work well.
Got it home and parked it - reading up on it.
It has some leaks I want to fix.
I plan on washing it and will check to see exactly where it is leaking.
Also saving up for some crushed rock.

LOL, seems I jumped on a few nerves about people wanting to save a little money. I completely understand both sides of that coin or lack of coin in some cases.

/ Looking for inexpensive AW46 - Hydraulic Oil #76  
Nice tractor. The leaks our old industrial tractor had were both in the large diameter return and supply hydraulic lines to and from the sump. Neither one is a high pressure line, and both seemed OK but tightening hose clamps didn't change that the hoses were often wet on the outside of the hose.

It turns out that both hoses had small longitudinal splits in the inside diameter at the ends where the hose clamps tightened them. I now know that those splits are common in old hydraulic hoses handling hot fluid if they are hose-clamped at the ends. It was a simple matter to replace both hoses, but all the fluid was lost.

/ Looking for inexpensive AW46 - Hydraulic Oil #77  
IMG_20240504_161947.jpg

/ Looking for inexpensive AW46 - Hydraulic Oil #78  
Can Traveller Premium Anti-Wear Hydraulic Oil ISO 46 be used in place of "Case TCH Fluid"?
I'm new - and purchases a Case 480E.
Manual says to fill the reservoir with Case TCH Fluid. It does not say much else.
No, TCH (transmission, converter, hydraulic) would be better suited to a universal hydraulic transmission fluid (Hytran). TCH/ universal is a 10 weight oil, ISO 46 would be a little “thicker” at 20w.

/ Looking for inexpensive AW46 - Hydraulic Oil #80  
Thanks @Sawyer Rob I will look into some TCH Fluid.

I need to also read up some about the function of the fluids in this machine. I was thinking it was just pumped and used for the cylinders actuation. Did not think it might be for the Transmission. That would make since - why have 2 reservoirs for hydraulic fluid.

Since the manual said use CASE TCH and it being a Case. If you ask any seller what to use, they will tell you theirs is the best. I will ask questions instead of picking the most expensive product thinking it is better.
Some tractors use Diff fluid for Hydraulics I believe. Use what the Manufacturer recommended. End of Story. Perhaps you should not have purchased the machine if you cannot service it properly.