Looking for the right Rake Grapple

/ Looking for the right Rake Grapple #11  
I have used a Precision Manufacturing, 333D72 – 72″ for about 2-1/2 years. I like the double grapple because it allows grip on tapered logs of uneven clumps of brush. I cleared and piled over 40 acres of old growth sage (6" diameter, 8-10' high) last year as well as other areas of logs, larger rocks, blackberries, tumbleweeds. brush and demolition or flood cleanup.

2005 New Holland TC45DA w 16LA w Quick attach.
Stump took up half of space on 27OO pound load.
About 4OO pound Counter-weight on rear of tractor.

1666308801580.png

Counterweight is a must for this kind of lifting! Level ground and experience, too!

My tires are foam filled so wont squat. I also mow and work Railroad right-of-way and other areas where spikes/nails, debris, thorns or sticks make flats a regular expectation. They have definitely paid for themselves in time saved from downtime - not to mention replacing tires. After over 10 yrs of running - mostly 4-wheel drive, I am now on my fourth set of foam-filled fronts as punctured/broken belting allows eventual breakdown of tires before tread wears out. I once finished a RR mowing job on a foam donut - and then drove a 1/2 mile home. Rears are still at 50% with thumb sized sticks broken off. 1200# added weight lowers center of gravity.

I get quality equipment and place high demands. But, if you get set up right and take care of your equipment, it takes care of you!

C

Note: Learn from my mistakes! GUARD is a MUST! I had just purchased this tractor and got in a hurry to use it before installing the brush guard (or lifting my rollbar). About 20 minutes later a root from the next stump punched out my grill and broke my cowling. Thankfully missed my radiator and a relatively easy reattachment.

C

/ Looking for the right Rake Grapple #12  
I was just lucky. I read a couple posts here on TBN about folks not having a grill guard and the resulting damage to their tractor. So..... I ordered the grapple from the dealer and immediately took my OEM grill guard to the local welding shop for mods.

/ Looking for the right Rake Grapple #13  

Attachments

• tempImageAuMGr9.jpg
    tempImageAuMGr9.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 569
I love mine..

/ Looking for the right Rake Grapple
Love that grill guard oosik! Did you fab it or buy it? (If the latter, please share link if possible.)

That grapple looks like a beast. I'm going to check it out.

To the EA Wicked owners: I didn't have it in my list of anticipated tasks, but how is it for bucking? Does the shorter lower jaw cause issues?

/ Looking for the right Rake Grapple #16  
One of the major reasons we got our Wicked 55 was to have a light strong grapple that would stack 8' cut log sections without constantly bending tines. It'll make neat piles all day long. I'm pretty convinced the grapple is tougher than the Kioti 4010. I have to be more careful of the tractor's limits: FEL limits, front axle load, tipping, etc. The grapple seems happy doing just about anything.

They do say it is designed to use the lid to rake debris backwards when needed, just be sane about it. What they tell you never to do is PUSH with the lid on stuff, like pushing over trees.

And yes, Oosik. That grill guard is a beauty.

I've seen custom grill guards online for Deere, Kubota and Kioti, by model number, but nothing for the Mahindra I'm contemplating. I'll either have to fab from scratch or find a generic one to modify. (I haven't seen a generic yet.)

/ Looking for the right Rake Grapple #18  
I have used mine a good bit in back dragging and so has my grandson with little tractor experience. One we DO NOT PUSH IT INTO THE DIRT. We let it touch the dirt and that is it. Another we don't back fast. Another we don't use it to back drag like logs, we are normally raking small limbs like when you limb a tree. On large limbs almost always open the grapple, set the bottom teeth on the ground or slightly into the dirt and still drive slowly. We rotate the grapple to where the top teeth are pulling into the dirt like a subsoiler point but rather riding like hand raking and it has worked great for us.

Of course, an anvil can be destroyed so I have been told. Seriously, I have no argument with the danger of back dragging. No more than I do of pushing a fel loader into the ground with tree roots and pushing.

Well, I researched and decided on an EA Wicked 66", which is the right size for my tractor, and called them to place the order. They said the lead time would be 4 MONTHS! I was looking forward to having this unit but did not expect that, and I really do not want to lose an entire season of work. So, can anybody recommend a good second choice?

I got the same time quote from them for pallet forks and bale spear (sheesh!). I can find other options for those, but really wanted their grapple. Oh well. Any help on alternate brands would be most appreciated. I want to get to work.

/ Looking for the right Rake Grapple #20  
Well, I researched and decided on an EA Wicked 66", which is the right size for my tractor, and called them to place the order. They said the lead time would be 4 MONTHS! I was looking forward to having this unit but did not expect that, and I really do not want to lose an entire season of work. So, can anybody recommend a good second choice?

I got the same time quote from them for pallet forks and bale spear (sheesh!). I can find other options for those, but really wanted their grapple. Oh well. Any help on alternate brands would be most appreciated. I want to get to work.
I understand some simply can't wait, but if you can find a way to wait, you'll love Wicked 66. Lead time should be more like 3ish months, or hopefully even sooner, based on how things have been going. We have compact tractor forks, up to 3k pounds capacity, ready to ship, and the price just went down earlier today!!

If I can help, feel free to contact me directly at 828-464-1200.
Travis

122129066_10158694734693232_2940261730041748424_n.jpg

Here's my latest factory tour video, from last Friday: