Looking for the right Rake Grapple

/ Looking for the right Rake Grapple #21  
I agree that a good grille guard is needed but how much light do you get through it when needed? Some of the expanded metal mesh is pretty tight. Seems like something more easily removable might help. Or is the whole guard removed when the grapple is off?

/ Looking for the right Rake Grapple
I agree that a good grille guard is needed but how much light do you get through it when needed? Some of the expanded metal mesh is pretty tight. Seems like something more easily removable might help. Or is the whole guard removed when the grapple is off?
If fabricating myself, I might be inclined to try to make it in two sections so that the upper portion could easily be removed to clear the lights, but there would be no reason to remove the lower (or upper, if not needing lights) -- seems protection wouldn't hurt with loader bucket, pallet forks, etc. One good answer might be found in a video I recently watched where the guy was talking about finessing tractor work, and not bullying with a tractor. That alone could help protect your front end. He likened it to billiards.

/ Looking for the right Rake Grapple #23  
If fabricating myself, I might be inclined to try to make it in two sections so that the upper portion could easily be removed to clear the lights, but there would be no reason to remove the lower (or upper, if not needing lights) -- seems protection wouldn't hurt with loader bucket, pallet forks, etc. One good answer might be found in a video I recently watched where the guy was talking about finessing tractor work, and not bullying with a tractor. That alone could help protect your front end. He likened it to billiards.
Being able to easily remove an upper section is a good idea. Might work on one next year since I just bought a post/tree puller for the quick attach that may also be a reason to have some protection in this area. Was going to buy a grapple but the multiple month wait allowed me to evaluate other implements I could get in a much quicker time period. Maybe next year the grapple market will cool down.

/ Looking for the right Rake Grapple #24  
I just welded expanded metal on the guard that came with the tractor. Doesn't win any ribbons for beauty but is fully functional.

20190930_082855.jpg

Looks very effective, Citydude.

/ Looking for the right Rake Grapple #26  
The Wickeder lid has a serrated horizontal channel spanning entirely across the leading portion of the lid, which greatly increases the lid's ability to rake loose material into a pile, or groom and smooth soil for seeding. Raking backwards, even if it is loose material, is something that most other manufacturers do not recommend, which totally defeats a valuable feature in which a true root rake grapple is designed for. WICKED is a TRUE root rake grapple.
Travis

20220601_100427s.jpg

If anyone doubts strength, even a little bit..

Travis, that Wickeder channel must really increase the rigidity of the teeth. I'd be a little concerned about scooping dirt in it when forward raking, but only a little. Is that feature available on all models -- how about 66"?

/ Looking for the right Rake Grapple #28  
Travis, that Wickeder channel must really increase the rigidity of the teeth. I'd be a little concerned about scooping dirt in it when forward raking, but only a little. Is that feature available on all models -- how about 66"?
It does make it rigid, and the thiiick DOM tubing we use also does. Since it is on the lid, it'll be used for raking in reverse, and the lower tines still have DOM tubing for structural support. The Hardox channel Wickeder lid is featured on our Wicked 55 and Wicked 60 models.

Wicked 66 still has freakishly DOM, and not the Hardox channel.

20201112_115659es.jpg

/ Looking for the right Rake Grapple #29  
Well, I researched and decided on an EA Wicked 66", which is the right size for my tractor, and called them to place the order. They said the lead time would be 4 MONTHS! I was looking forward to having this unit but did not expect that, and I really do not want to lose an entire season of work. So, can anybody recommend a good second choice?

I got the same time quote from them for pallet forks and bale spear (sheesh!). I can find other options for those, but really wanted their grapple. Oh well. Any help on alternate brands would be most appreciated. I want to get to work.

Check out American Attachments. I got a root grapple & pallet forks from them 3 or so years ago, & they do everything I need. @ 50 hp, I use the economy root grapple for its lighter weight/better load capacity. They have an economy grapple rake 60" & 66" ... the Heavy & Super duties are 72" & 84".

It does make it rigid, and the thiiick DOM tubing we use also does. Since it is on the lid, it'll be used for raking in reverse, and the lower tines still have DOM tubing for structural support. The Hardox channel Wickeder lid is featured on our Wicked 55 and Wicked 60 models.

Wicked 66 still has freakishly DOM, and not the Hardox channel.

View attachment 771396
Thanks for the info, Ted. And not to give you a hard time, but why would you replace DOM with Hardox channel on 55 and 60 but not the 66? I know the DOM is super-thick, but it was that way on the 55 and 60, too, and your video said that the channel was 3x stronger than the DOM. Don't deprive us who need the 66! :)

P.S. - Makes sense that the channel would not scoop dirt on the top lid. I wasn't thinking.

Last edited: