Looking for vise attachment ideas.

/ Looking for vise attachment ideas. #1  

KubotainNH

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota B6100
Right now I have a 2"x10" that I have my metal jaw vice and grinder attached to. It was a quick install I did over 10 years ago and it has taken a beating and due for replacement. I'm thinking 6 or 7 - 2"x4"s glued and bolted together to get the same width which fits well for where I have it and a solid surface. What I'm debating on is making both vise and grinder removable but at least the vice (make too much removable and stuff may get stacked on it). I'm thinking of a hitch receiver type setup going vertically into the wood because doing it horizontal may make the vice stick out too far. It would also be nice to be able to put the vice mount into the receiver of my truck or tractor. Thoughts, suggestions, pics or other threads showing something similar is appreciated. I have perused some threads but I'm sure there are many I missed.

thanks!

/ Looking for vise attachment ideas. #2  
I have 2 large vices mounted on old semi rims with pipe rising up to working height.
I can roll either one to where I need it and they are very stable!

/ Looking for vise attachment ideas. #3  
Mine are the same, except mounted on semi brake drums, about 100 lbs each. Used 4" pipe as the riser, one is anvil height, one is taller. They are very stable and mobile, either by tilting and rolling, of hand truck.
Probably would not change anything, but would like another to truck mount.

I have 2 large vices mounted on old semi rims with pipe rising up to working height.
I can roll either one to where I need it and they are very stable!

/ Looking for vise attachment ideas. #4  
I have a heavy 4.5in Rock Island 594 vise that I restored and had new jaws fabbed for it. Looking for a mount and I like the idea of a sturdy but moveable (rollable) base. Looking forward to seeing some designs/pics. Wonder how easy it is to find some old semi brake drums? What is the diameter? My vice opens up a good 8in + so I'm thinking the base diameter will be important.

/ Looking for vise attachment ideas. #5  
Here's a vice stand I made.

IMG_2038.JPG

IMG_2039.JPG

A 2" receiver which can hold attachments on either or both sides of the vice stand simultaneously. It moves easily by lifting the fold down handle and tilting to roll on a couple of 2" roller bearing inserts.

Picture shows a 12" 3in1 sheet metal machine on it (about 80#).

/ Looking for vise attachment ideas. #6  
Right now I have a 2"x10" that I have my metal jaw vice and grinder attached to. It was a quick install I did over 10 years ago and it has taken a beating and due for replacement. I'm thinking 6 or 7 - 2"x4"s glued and bolted together to get the same width which fits well for where I have it and a solid surface. What I'm debating on is making both vise and grinder removable but at least the vice (make too much removable and stuff may get stacked on it). I'm thinking of a hitch receiver type setup going vertically into the wood because doing it horizontal may make the vice stick out too far. It would also be nice to be able to put the vice mount into the receiver of my truck or tractor. Thoughts, suggestions, pics or other threads showing something similar is appreciated. I have perused some threads but I'm sure there are many I missed.

thanks!

Coincidentally i'm currently working on my first VERTICAL receiver type application. I'm going to have two 2" and one 1 1/4" setup on each end of a wooden work bench I'm building. ((8' X 24" X 7")

Here's where I'm at so far.

IMG_2193.JPGIMG_2192.JPG

Still have to cut square holes in the cover plate and weld receiver tube(s) to the underside.

/ Looking for vise attachment ideas. #7  
Here's a vice stand I made.

View attachment 504874

View attachment 504875

A 2" receiver which can hold attachments on either or both sides of the vice stand simultaneously. It moves easily by lifting the fold down handle and tilting to roll on a couple of 2" roller bearing inserts.

Picture shows a 12" 3in1 sheet metal machine on it (about 80#).
That looks nice and heavy and sturdy. Are those feet and base solid steel?

/ Looking for vise attachment ideas. #8  
That looks nice and heavy and sturdy. Are those feet and base solid steel?

Mark. No. Heavy wall rectangular tubing and (I think) 3.5"x3.5"x3/8" angle iron.

Terry

/ Looking for vise attachment ideas. #10  
For vertical receivers in a bench, a pintle mount insert would be handy for mounting things.

pintlemounts.jpg

Bruce