Looking to buy my first tractor

/ Looking to buy my first tractor #41  
Last edited:
   / Looking to buy my first tractor
After giving it a good nights rest and re-reading the comments, a tractor in the 5k weight range seems like a good middle ground for meeting most of my needs while remaining relatively sized for me to learn on.

The 2010 McCormick Ct50U 4x4 with loader and bush hog seems like a good choice; with low hours, service center nearby and enough specs to handle most of the implements/chores I may demand of it

/ Looking to buy my first tractor #43  
I want to start looking into sod farming, with a goal to start in two years.

I suggest you research the weight of a pallet of sod. I speculate a laden pallet exceeds 2,000 pounds. For some customers you may have to load full pallets on flatbed trucks, which is a fairly high lift. Lifts above 30" introduce a great deal of tractor instability.

A rear-engine fork lift or a rear-engine skid steer is a much more stable lifting tool, relative to a front-engine tractor.

Google search:

weight of a pallet of sod

I was also thinking of getting a standard 2wd tractor, like a White for the fields and a smaller 4wd for the woods. This seems like a reasonable route to go since I wouldn't have to mess with attachments as much, and could stay within the price range if I got an older 4wd unit.

One tractor is a better idea. Operating an outside stored tractor just 50 to 75 engine hours per year often leads to fuel and electrical problems.

You want your fuel reasonably fresh. Tractor aged diesel fuel is often contaminated by water condensation and/or algae growth. In Maine there is likely distinct summer and winter diesel blends.

You want your tractor battery use-discharged and recharged often.

You do not want hungry rodents nesting in the tractor's wiring. My longest duration dealer service involved an intermittently bad wire in the wiring harness. Kubota eventually sent down one of their super-techs from the Kubota factories in Georgia, to help the dealer mechanic with trouble shooting. $2,000. No wiring trouble since. (My tractor was at the dealer six weeks.)

The only functional reason to buy a 2-WD tractor is for adjustable width front wheels for row crop cultivation.

If any of your land is sloped or hilly, lets us know. Slopes may significantly alter tractor recommendations.

Last edited:
   / Looking to buy my first tractor #44  
Eugene Savoy,

Thanks for adding your your location. I am impressed you want to take on farming, in retirement, in upper Maine with its short growing season so Egon, in Nova Scotia, should be especially helpful with tractor suggestions, growing season, crops, and all importantly, the weather. My wife has cousins in Presque Isle and Bar Harbor so we have some idea of seasons and weather.

Best wishes in your retirement and farming plans.

/ Looking to buy my first tractor #45  
Interesting questions and I see that you are both thinking and listening.

With that many acres and your climate, I think you are wiser to stay with 4wd - you will know the answer yourself sooner than you think since no tractor is full time 4wd. They are "4wd assist", which means most of the time you will be in 2wd anyway.

As for two tractors - that's easy. With 40 acres cropland and 80 forest you are going to end up with at least two tractors anyway. So don't rush it until you know more. Today it's just a matter of whether you get the 40 hp first and the 70 hp later or vice versa.

Oh, I almost forgot to list my own biases: I'm country raised and with a lot of farm labor experience but have never owned a farm myself. I do understand machinery, do my own maintenance and can do any repairs but don't, I once owned a mechanical repair shop, and have owned a number of tractors. Our land is 20 acres in the mountains with steep slopes, trees, and a creek. I firmly believe that any machines's condition matters far more than age or price.

I'm glad to see you looking at good used tractors. Tractors last a long time and age slowly. How one works today is is pretty much what you can expect for years with normal maintenance. I only look at used equipment that is in far better than average shape and am prepared to pay a premium when I find it. If it's just in average shape I'll pass. I expect it will have all the service and maintenance records- even if just in a folder. Otherwise again, I'll pass.

If it's a car, truck, tractor, or machine tool from an individual I will often take it to the local who knows machines & pay for a second opinion. From a dealer I'd expect some sort of limited warranty.

On cab vs open station, I think I'd go for an open station while learning. You are up and down & on and off the tractor more than you think. But if I did that, I'd expect the second tractor to have a cab.

Zetor and Massey Ferguson are both good. Very good. Which one would depend on all I've said above and also on your own level of mechanical expertise.

enjoy,
rScotty

/ Looking to buy my first tractor
Appreciate all the responses.

I do believe too, we'll end up getting two tractors. One for the field, one for the woods. For now, I think the Ferguson does all we'll need and when(if) the time comes to take on more land, we'll get a dedicated tractor.

My wife, soon to be baby and I are still young (20s) that come from a suburban back ground, and are "retiring" into a different way of life. Financially we have been saving to do this for the past five years and this year our feet have hit the ground.

We aren't doing conventional farming, just enough to feed ourselves, stock our cellar with canned goods for our growing family, fill the freezer with meat and feed the livestock.

Growing seasons are short and there are plenty of cons about this region, but for us it is still viable and the pros outweigh the many negatives of the more "desirable places"

Anywho, check this out
CT50U
"2010 McCormick CT50U 43hp 4x4 4 cylinder diesel power steering, with loader. Starts at first crank with no smoke or blowby. Everything works on the tractor as it should. Has 16 speed transmission with forward reverse shuttle shift. Has 700 hours. Excellent condition. Tires are approx 85%. Has rear remotes. Tilt steering wheel and quick disconnect loader and bucket"

00C0C_907N6tqgkwsz_0x20oM_600x450.jpg

/ Looking to buy my first tractor #47  
Eugene Savoy,

You may find this link interesting. An existing farmer in Presque Isle, ME was interviewed 27 Jan 2022 about how he plans his farming for the year and 5 years out. An interesting read.

/ Looking to buy my first tractor #48  
Hello,

I am looking to purchase my first tractor. From my extensive research online and locally, most of my questions have been answered but I would to hear your guys opinions.

What the tractor will be used for:
40 acres tillable (currently leasing 35 of this and using 5 for sod/garden but may take it over as time passes)
80 acres forest
bush hogging
log yarding
snow blowing

Goals:
Want a tractor that will be able to work the field and go out in the woods and yard logs as well as general grading of roads

Specs I think that are priority

4x4
50hp
bucket loader equipped
3 point
remote hydraulics

Price range

Units I've found:
New Holland Boomer 8N low mileage, meets above critea
McCormick CT50U low mileage, meets above critea

Hi Eugene,

From my experience, whatever horsepower you think you will need, go up at least one notch in whoever's line you end up picking. You will always need at least a little more than you think you will.

My next tractor is going to absolutely have a cab. I end up using mine when it is cold and often snowing in the winter and even sometimes precipitating rain the rest of the year.

Congratulations on finding the land you need.

Regards,
..michael..

/ Looking to buy my first tractor #49  
Hello,

I am looking to purchase my first tractor. From my extensive research online and locally, most of my questions have been answered but I would to hear your guys opinions.

What the tractor will be used for:
40 acres tillable (currently leasing 35 of this and using 5 for sod/garden but may take it over as time passes)
80 acres forest
bush hogging
log yarding
snow blowing

Goals:
Want a tractor that will be able to work the field and go out in the woods and yard logs as well as general grading of roads

Specs I think that are priority

4x4
50hp
bucket loader equipped
3 point
remote hydraulics

Price range

Units I've found:
New Holland Boomer 8N low mileage, meets above critea
McCormick CT50U low mileage, meets above critea

I have a New Holland TC48DA which I bought a number of years ago for maintaining 20 acres, mostly for shredding the brush and maintaining a gravel drive ( about a quarter mile) which served well. I now have about 400 acres of which I had around 60 acres cleared of mesquite for cultivation. The TC48DA fit my original requirements very well but now wish I'd bought a tractor in the 75 HP to 100 HP range. Depending upon your future you might want to consider something larger than 50HP, otherwise 50 is probably a good choice. I share this as I certainly wish I had a 100HP now:) .

/ Looking to buy my first tractor #50  
Interesting questions and I see that you are both thinking and listening.

With that many acres and your climate, I think you are wiser to stay with 4wd - you will know the answer yourself sooner than you think since no tractor is full time 4wd. They are "4wd assist", which means most of the time you will be in 2wd anyway.

rScotty
Just to be clear, there are full-time 4wd tractors, but not typically in the size range we are discussing. Some of the really big AG tractors, for example: