Loose wheel bolts

/ Loose wheel bolts #1  

Anonymous Poster

Any of you Yanmar owners ever have problems with wheel bolts coming loose on your tractors like I do on my John Deere 4400?

/ Loose wheel bolts #2  
Haven't had a problem on mine, but I am missing one bolt on a front tire. It was that way when I bought it and hasn't been a problem. Have you tried locktite on the threads? I have used it on parts that vibrate and it has worked for me. Hope this helps.

/ Loose wheel bolts
Thank you and thanks in advance to all that post................

/ Loose wheel bolts #4  
I remember in the old club someone said they actually drilled their bolts and attached wire to make sure they didn't lose them.

/ Loose wheel bolts #5  
I have a YM1401D and have had problems with loose bolts on one of the rear wheels. Hmm, maybe a little locktite would do the trick.

/ Loose wheel bolts #6  
Might try lock washers.... I put them on my tractor when I got it, and have not had a problem with it.

Chris

/ Loose wheel bolts #7  
FarmBoy, I think everyone looses a wheel bolt now and again, but it isn't a problem like it is on a couple of the JDs where I understand that all the bolts on one wheel will loosen up. I've heard from enough people about this that I believe that some JDs really do have that problem....but it does seem sort of odd that they are the only ones. After all, most Compacts use the same wheels. Anyway, it was interesting to follow for awhile but I never did hear what JD did to finally fix the problem. I know that they had a lot of complaints and must have done something, but big companies move slowly. .
No, it doesn't seem to afflict Yanmars. Did you try using longer wheels bolts and putting a nut on the protruding end?

/ Loose wheel bolts #8  
Have had my 4300 since '98 and read in the manual that I should check the wheel bolts (so my responsibility as regular maintenance). To help, I put a small black magic marker dot on each bolt front and rears. Watched them and after the first few months some had some looseness, but since then none have moved.

JD has no way of knowing if the owner reads the manual and checks their wheel bolts.

Sorry to hear of your wheel falling off and getting injured.

/ Loose wheel bolts #9  
JD has no way of knowing if the owner reads the manual and checks their wheel bolts.
Exactly. When my 4105 was delivered I read the Owner Manual from cover to cover... twice. Initially and then periodically checking the torque (written in the Manual) of all the wheel nuts is listed. I immediately purchased a torque wrench and confirmed that my dealership had delivered the tractor 'in spec'.

My dealership had already performed the magic marker dot on each bolt. None of them have ever come loose in the years that I've had my tractor.

It's up to the owner to confirm and maintain. Vibration, due to use and the general running of a diesel engine, will loosen things over time.

/ Loose wheel bolts #10  
Please look at my reply concerning loose bolts on wheels. I didn't want to type all the information a 3rd time. Thanks
I'm sorry you got injured & your tractor received damage. Good luck with your lawsuit against JD. It won't surprise me if JD attorney's don't point out the fact it states in operators manual to periodically check wheel bolt torque.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-07-04 061535.png
    Screenshot 2022-07-04 061535.png
    280.8 KB · Views: 61
Last edited: