Lotos LT5000D Plasma cutter deal from Amazon

/ Lotos LT5000D Plasma cutter deal from Amazon #81  
I'm thinking hard on that LTPDC2000D combo unit. As you mentioned it's actually on sale cheaper than the regular plasma only model but has all the same specs and hardware. I've been looking for a cheap plasma and the other features would be nice in case I needed to bring it with me to work. My old Miller HF Dialarc isn't so portable lol. Any updates on its performance?

Sorry forgot to check this thread for a while
One thing that is different from the LT5000 is the plasma cutter in the LPTDC2000,

the 2000 has the pilot arc -no need to touch the metals surface thereby increasing the consumables life span -also will cut right thru paint

I have used the plasma cutter a fair amount- sectioned parts of a quarter panel from a 73 firebird for my sons formula 400, it helps to have some kind of guide but the cutter has worked well. plasma cutting 009.jpg

Edit - went ahead and completely stripped this firebird for parts and usable sheetmetal

used the plasma cutter to cut the unibody apart into multiple pieces so that it could be hauled by pick up and unloaded by hand at the local metal recycler plasma cutting 019.jpg

Also used it to add some line up tabs on my grapple (in my avatar picture) so the Fel auto aligns when driving into it- (cutting some 5/32ths plate in half to make 2 tabs)worked well and then hooked up the stick welder and vertical welded with some 6011 sticks outside- that came out ok to

Had a small tank i bought years ago and traded it for a small Argon tank at the local welding shop.

Tried Tig welding some .065 sheet metal and this tig welding will take some getting used to- also think I will need a much larger Argon tank -it seems to use a lot more gas than when mig welding??

But so far I am impressed with the plasma and stick welder functions and think i need to learn more about tig, and get a real tank with more volume

Overall very impressed for the price,

My only real concern is - whether it will last, and if I need parts , will the LOTOS company sell parts after the one year warranty?

But that is a risk i was willing to take for the low price.

time will tell but so far no complaints :thumbsup:

Last edited:
   / Lotos LT5000D Plasma cutter deal from Amazon #82  
I have had a LTPDC2000D for a bit over a year now. I am on my 3rd unit... When it works, it works great!

First one, was DOA... sent it back, second worked great for a bit, then I wasnt able to adjust the amperage. Sent that one back, and received the latest one which seems to be working great! The customer service wasnt the 'best' but some of that was my lack of following up...

I will say, I have been able to cut 1" with it... be it not very clean. I was able to cut 3/8" very consistent and happy though.

I have not had any issue with consumables on mine, but I always use the 'guide' that keeps the tip up off the metal.

As to using something to follow, I tend to use my triangle magnets. They work quite well!

Its been a bit of a headache, but I would do it again, in a heartbeat. I am happy for what I have into it.

/ Lotos LT5000D Plasma cutter deal from Amazon #83  
Thanks for the feedback on the 3in1 I appreciate it. I think I'll hold off on it for now, the price went back up on Amazon anyway. I'm kinda thinking on getting separate rigs for each process.

/ Lotos LT5000D Plasma cutter deal from Amazon #84  
Thanks for the feedback on the 3in1 I appreciate it. I think I'll hold off on it for now, the price went back up on Amazon anyway. I'm kinda thinking on getting separate rigs for each process.

I purchased mine on ebay, direct from Lotos (Lotos Technology Plasma Cutters and Welders online Store). I got it for $480.

I went with the 3 in 1, as I already had a mig welder, and dont use a stick much, and have no clue how to use a Tig!

/ Lotos LT5000D Plasma cutter deal from Amazon #85  
Sorry forgot to check this thread for a while
One thing that is different from the LT5000 is the plasma cutter in the LPTDC2000,

the 2000 has the pilot arc -no need to touch the metals surface thereby increasing the consumables life span -also will cut right thru paint

I have used the plasma cutter a fair amount- sectioned parts of a quarter panel from a 73 firebird for my sons formula 400, it helps to have some kind of guide but the cutter has worked well. View attachment 445218

Edit - went ahead and completely stripped this firebird for parts and usable sheetmetal

used the plasma cutter to cut the unibody apart into multiple pieces so that it could be hauled by pick up and unloaded by hand at the local metal recycler View attachment 445219

Also used it to add some line up tabs on my grapple (in my avatar picture) so the Fel auto aligns when driving into it- (cutting some 5/32ths plate in half to make 2 tabs)worked well and then hooked up the stick welder and vertical welded with some 6011 sticks outside- that came out ok to

Had a small tank i bought years ago and traded it for a small Argon tank at the local welding shop.

Tried Tig welding some .065 sheet metal and this tig welding will take some getting used to- also think I will need a much larger Argon tank -it seems to use a lot more gas than when mig welding??

But so far I am impressed with the plasma and stick welder functions and think i need to learn more about tig, and get a real tank with more volume

Overall very impressed for the price,

My only real concern is - whether it will last, and if I need parts , will the LOTOS company sell parts after the one year warranty?

But that is a risk i was willing to take for the low price.

time will tell but so far no complaints :thumbsup:

Update...
Don't know if anyone is interested but Amazon is running a sale on the LOTOS LTPDC2000D for
$431.59

the retail- which is to high is about $800 so it is about as low of price for this unit as shows up for...

Amazon.com: LTPDC2d

I have just over a years use so far and it has performed well no failures or problems, although a couple times i forgot to turn on the air for the plasma cutter, and a couple times had the ground lead mistakenly connected to the Tig 300 300 lincoln instead:confused2::laughing:.

For the price I don't think there are many chinese combos that can match it's features and performance- pilot arc HF 50 amp plasma cut and 200 amp arc/tig welding @60% duty cycle.
These are not industrial welders, I don't work in the rain or haul the unit around bouncing around in a pick up box. i did have to tighten up the dinse connectors inside (were not tight) and also re-torque the mosfet and diode hold downs (they were overly tight).

these LOTOS units only come with a 1 year warranty, which if you have extra coin is a good reason to buy an Everlast unit- that 5 year warranty is worth it for most.

but if on a tight budget and don't mind a bit of a gamble the LTPDC2000D could be a good bargain.

/ Lotos LT5000D Plasma cutter deal from Amazon #86  
A plasma system pilot arc is an arc that will fire without metal in front of the torch. With no pilot arc you must touch the nozzle (tip) of the torch to the metal that your work clamp is connected to. When you do this the air flow ionizes and the plasma arc starts.

The advantage of a pilot start is that the torch will burn through paint, dirt, rust, even porcelain. The non pilot arc will require that you grind off an area to clean metal every time you go to start the arc. Another issue with non-pilot starting is that when the arc starts (in contact with the metal) the power immediately ramps up and starts piercing through the metal.....the metal blows back and damages the nozzle on the very first cuts...the result is ugly cuts with rough edges and bad angularity. With a pilot start you can hold the torch a bit away from the material, pull the trigger and it will fire and transfer....the molten blowback will not damage the nozzle.

So.....yes the low cost import plasma cutters will cut metal, however they do not cut nearly as clean or as fast as the major brand units (Hypertherm, Victor (Thermal Dynamics), Miller, Esab, etc) and the consumable parts life of Lotos CT520D(tips, electrodes) is terrible at best. If you cut 1/4" steel with a small (30 amp Poweermax30XP) Hypertherm expect the nozzle to last for 600 to 1200 feet of cutting......which for a hobbyist could be years! With an exposed nozzle plasma torch without pilot start...expect maybe 50' (at best) of cut before you change the tip.

For cutting square tube? Chop saw is by far the best way. Cutoff discs on an angle grinder are dangerous (watch your fingers and eyes....be careful!) and do not last long. The low cost plasma may cost less to use as compared to cutoff discs (the discs break easy and don't last long even when they don't break). I do cut larger structural tube with heavier wall with my Hypertherm plasma.....especially when I need to do miter cuts or odd shapes. I have a few jigs that I made for repeat jobs that guide the shielded Hypertherm torch for miter cuts, works very well as this style plasma can be dragged right on the material with no effect on consumable life.

I always say...if money (or the lack of it) is your primary purchase criteria for a plasma...then go ahead and buy a low cost import. Just don't let it's performance and reliability form your opinion of all plasma cutters! The good ones that will last long enough for your kids inheritance will work better, will be easier to use, will cut at a lower cost (less grinding, less consumables) and will be more reliable....and will have direct technical support from the factory that built it.....if needed.

Jim Colt Hypertherm
machine ran fine until i ordered consumables from lotos (LCS22) after using new consumables for two short cuts the machine cut off won’t turn back on, it has power. i checked power on back side of on off switch. any troubleshooting suggestions?

/ Lotos LT5000D Plasma cutter deal from Amazon #87  
"any troubleshooting suggestions?"

See if your manual mentions NOT tightening consumables too much - my Hypertherm warns you about that, and I found out (ONCE) that they're NOT kidding... Steve

/ Lotos LT5000D Plasma cutter deal from Amazon #88  
@BukitCase thank you so much for your suggestion