Loud bang noise on start and stop of New Bx2380

/ Loud bang noise on start and stop of New Bx2380 #1  

Porchfan

Silver Member
Tractor
2013 Kubota B2650 HSD, 2020 BX2380, JD LX-277 lawn tractor 2000
Hi All,
This week I had my second purchased new Kubota tractor delivered this week. A Bx2380. So far so good other than I have noticed a large start and stop bang noise. I'd like to know if anyone has noticed any loud bang noise on starting and stopping a Bx? I suspect the torque on the starter motor is doing this on start and the torque and weight of the Diesel does it on stopping. I have not really looked to hard yet on why the bang noise is so loud. Once started, the engine purrs. I warm the engine prior to starting for about 20 seconds.
It looks like the motor rocks back and forth when it starts and stops. Is this normal? Maybe the motor mounts are not stiff enough or tight? Not sure - like I said, I have not really dug deeper nor used the tractor much other than cutting some grass to check out the 60inch deck. My B2650, which I have had for almost 7 years now and over 1000 hours on it now, does not do this. It makes a little bang on start. Nothing as loud as the Bx. I will post a Video of the engine while starting and stopping tomorrow. I'd appreciate any comments you all might have.. Thanks ! Oh - Here's a pic of my tractors in front of the Woman's She- Shed IMG_5217.JPEG

/ Loud bang noise on start and stop of New Bx2380 #2  
The BX engine is mounted with rubber mounts. Without hearing yours, I would say the noise is normal and certainly different than a typical Diesel engine starting and stopping. Open the hood and observe it starting and stopping.

/ Loud bang noise on start and stop of New Bx2380 #3  
The BX I owned had a really rough start up and shut down also. The entire tractor shook. Depending on how the FEL bucket was sitting on the ground, it would bang sometimes.

/ Loud bang noise on start and stop of New Bx2380
The BX I owned had a really rough start up and shut down also. The entire tractor shook. Depending on how the FEL bucket was sitting on the ground, it would bang sometimes.

The loud bang occurs with or without the FEL. Not sure how much of a difference there is. I’m planning on mostly using the tractor for mowing. I have a noise decibel meter. When I get the chance? I’ll try to quantify the noise delta with and without the FEL on later today.

/ Loud bang noise on start and stop of New Bx2380 #5  
I think Grasshopper uses the same Kubota engine in some of their mowers. My Grasshoppers shake like a wet dog when starting and stopping, some loud clatter, but no "bang" noises. They purr when they are running though.
That's a great shed too. Lots of character.

I think Grasshopper uses the same Kubota engine in some of their mowers. My Grasshoppers shake like a wet dog when starting and stopping, some loud clatter, but no "bang" noises. They purr when they are running though.
That's a great shed too. Lots of character.

Yeah. The motor does purr nicely when running. Im thinking it might be the mower deck that is banging against the frame. I have a road I built behind the shed there where I added swales in it for drainage. If I drive too fast over it, I hear a bonk or small bang when I have the mower deck all the way up. I’ll check that later today.

Thanks on the shed. It was mine for 14 years. I’ve fixed it up for the woman. Recently added 2 additional windows, installed 50A electrical service, and redid the flooring with property felled rough sawn 5/4 red oak flooring. The flooring I had air dried out back for the past 2 years. I joined the flooring but did not plane it smooth. I like the look. Once I’m done with all the upgrades of the shed, I’ll sand down, lightly stain and seal the flooring. A small price to pay when you’re given the go to buy a new toy. Good news is I have another small pole barn to put my two tractors. Below are a couple pics of the flooring and the tractor pole barn Adjustments.JPGAdjustments.JPGIMG_5175.JPG

/ Loud bang noise on start and stop of New Bx2380 #8  
I watched your video. Seems pretty normal to me.

yeah. thx i'm sort of now thinking the same. - although my B2650 barely makes any noise starting or stopping

/ Loud bang noise on start and stop of New Bx2380 #10  
My BX sounds/looks the same on start up/shut down