Low temperature hydraulic fluid?

/ Low temperature hydraulic fluid?
That looks like hydraulic fluid not tractor fluid. You want tractor fluid. It has additives that make it work well with wet clutches and brakes.

Chevron makes a synthetic version of THF1000 which has better low temp viscosity. than the regular stuff

The Lucas website says it's for transmissions also, but the more I look at it the less convinced I am. I'll have to verify with them exactly what's in it before I purchase any.

That Chevron All Weather THF looks great but it seems like it's a bit difficult to come by.

While searching for that I also found some other interesting looking synthetic options:

Schaeffer's 315 Simplex Supreme

AMSOIL Synthetic Tractor Hydraulic/Transmission Oil

/ Low temperature hydraulic fluid? #12  
Chevron makes a synthetic version of THF1000 which has better low temp viscosity. than the regular stuff All the manufacturers publish viscosity numbers (though it can sometimes be hard to find) which you can use to find a reasonable match to the fluids that Branson recommends. In your case you'd want less viscosity at low temps but the same at working temps. I think the synthetic THF1000 will do that but it's been a while since I looked at it, so check first.
What I use in both my Kubota's and it gets real cold here and both are kept in a barn with no electricity to plug them in. I use Chevron All Weather THC Synthetic fluid. It ain't cheap but it works ****.

When it's snow plow time, I go fire one of them up, kick up the idle a bit have a cup of coffee and go to work.

/ Low temperature hydraulic fluid?
The Lucas website says it's for transmissions also, but the more I look at it the less convinced I am. I'll have to verify with them exactly what's in it before I purchase any.

For future reference, I contacted Lucas and they confirmed that this fluid meets the following specs (although they couldn't give me a complete list): John Deere J20C/J20D, Kubota UDT1, Cat TO-2.

/ Low temperature hydraulic fluid? #14  
Can’t go wrong with Amsoil Tractor Transmission/Hydraulic oil. Pour point is -58F and yet it’s an all weather lube, so handles summer temperatures too. No need to do a seasonal change. Order it and it arrives in a few days. I’m in Ontario Canada and when I start my tractor in an unheated barn and no block heater I let it idle 5 minutes and then start blowing snow gently until the temperature gage reads warm. Then I open it up to max pto rpms. Hydraulics work like it’s summer temperatures even in the cold of winter. Wouldn’t use anything else. UOA at double the hours showed good for continued use… https://www.amsoil.com/p/synthetic-tractor-hydraulic-transmission-oil-sae-5w-30-ath/?zo=331384

Last edited:
   / Low temperature hydraulic fluid? #15  
For future reference, I contacted Lucas and they confirmed that this fluid meets the following specs (although they couldn't give me a complete list): John Deere J20C/J20D, Kubota UDT1, Cat TO-2.

That's probably good then. OTOH when I asked my Branson dealer they said not to use UDT.

/ Low temperature hydraulic fluid? #16  
It's a little sad that this seems to be a complicated issue when i'd bet money that 95% of everyone with a car with an automatic transmission in that climate just hops in and goes spinning their pump way past tractor engine rpm, lubricating wet clutches, lubricating differential ring and pinions, flowing through much smaller passages in shafts, clutch drums, valve bodies, solenoids, you name it.

And ATF of various flavors is in stock in every town in north america.

But apparently this is hard.

/ Low temperature hydraulic fluid? #17  
Do you know what -30C feels like? It’s pretty common during the winter here in Ontario where I live, occasionally we see -35/37 even -40C. Not fun for man or beast or equipment… So yes, I appreciate a good low temperature HST fluid, but even more so a fluid that is also “all season”. The Amsoil synthetic Tractor Transmission/Hydraulic fluid fits the bill for me. Not cheap, but when I can leave it in year round and works as good as it does…and like I said earlier, at double the change interval UOA showed it still good. I just changed the filters after getting the results and added a quart or so to top it off. Now the price becomes reasonable to me. 👍

/ Low temperature hydraulic fluid? #18  
I like the Amsoil product, also the Chevron synthetic, right now I'm useing Cen-Pe-Co multi purpose tractor fluid which is a para synthetic.
It flows much better in cold weather then the Texaco fluid even thought about.
My tractor with the power shuttle would not crank over and start with the heavy fluid in the transmission, she would turn maybe 2 revolutions and stall the starter out.