LOW VOLTAGE on 5085M

/ LOW VOLTAGE on 5085M #1  

Bigfoot62

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 5090M; JD 5085M; JD 5083E; NH TN70A; Ford 2600
I have a John Deere 5085M tractor and a JD 457 round baler. I have the baler's power cord plugged into the power outlet on the tractor. Sometimes, when completing the tie cycle, I'm getting a "LOW VOLTAGE" message on my electronic baler monitor.

A parts man, not at the dealership where I purchased, said that it's probably the wiring on the tractor. He suggested running a circuit directly from the battery.

Anyone else have this problem?

Thanks in advance.

/ LOW VOLTAGE on 5085M #2  
I had the same problem on the factory elect. auxiliary outlet on my 4255. I attached one with a circuit breaker to battery and that solved the problem. Have you checked your tractors alternator output on Channel 15 on the monitor?? Have you made sure alternator belt is snug???

/ LOW VOLTAGE on 5085M
Jim,
The direct circuit to the battery was suggested, and I'm sure that it would solve the problem. It just bothers me that a new JD tractor, (just over 300 hours and still under warranty) would have a power outlet that was too small to carry a JD baler. I need to contact the service department at the dealer. Just haven't done that yet.
I've not checked the alternator output, but the belt is tight. No other electrical problems. A/C works great, all the lights, etc.

Thanks for the reply.

/ LOW VOLTAGE on 5085M #4  
Talk to the Service Manager most parts folks know next to nothing as far as troubleshooting. I assume you're connecting to the screw on power port and not the cigarette lighter type port.

/ LOW VOLTAGE on 5085M #5  
Bigfoot, as I had mentioned in the other thread that something is most likely amiss as there is no reason these two late model pieces can not be powered using the already supplied ele plugins. The battery idea does work and on older units like 55 series vintage machines it was almost required. The late style three prong power plug IS acceptable to handle the voltage/amperage demands of the late model balers. Have not had to resort to direct battery wiring in most cases since the comfort gard cab has been out (thousand series tractors). In this instance the parts guy is correct most likely something wrong with the tractor wiring. Failure rate on the actuators is very low, the same can not be said for the monitor but still a low failure rate.

/ LOW VOLTAGE on 5085M
Ctiguy,
You are correct.
Called the dealer this morning and the serviceman is coming tomorrow to fix it. The service manager knew exactly what I was talking about and said that JD had a retrofit wiring harness to correct it. Covered by warranty. :thumbsup:

/ LOW VOLTAGE on 5085M #7  
Glad to hear it is going to be handled correctly and not have to bastardise (sp?;)) the wiring.

/ LOW VOLTAGE on 5085M
Update:

JD serviceman added new wiring harness and power plug Thursday morning. Since the repair/upgrade, I've rolled more than 100 bales. No problems. All is well. Looks like that took care of it.

BIG THANK YOU to E. S. Voelker's service department. :thumbsup:

. . . Have you checked your tractors alternator output on Channel 15 on the monitor??
Jim, after you posted this, I did do the voltage check. 8.4 volts with the key off and the twine motor activated. (Manual states min. voltage as 9.7) Since the new plug was installed, when I run that same test, the voltage is over 11!!
I would say that was my problem.

/ LOW VOLTAGE on 5085M #9  
I agree. Sounds as if you're problem is solved.

/ LOW VOLTAGE on 5085M
OK, guys. I'm reviving an old thread because I'm having the same problem on a new tractor.

I want to do the same thing to my new 5090M that was done to the 5085M. Install an additional convenience outlet, that is wired directly to the battery. The Vermeer dealer told me to run the baler's wiring harness to the tractor battery, but that would make it a royal pain to switch tractors with the baler, should I ever want or need to do that. So, . . .

Does anyone have the part number for the convenience outlet kit? I found the one that replaces the original one, but I want the kit that comes with the plug and the wiring harness that goes all the way to the battery.