LS MT357 PCT vs MT347 H

/ LS MT357 PCT vs MT347 H #1  

JohnstonOK

Tractor
LS MT3
I'm buying a 28 Acre property in Oklahoma. The land is a little hilly with elevation variance of about 50 feet from the front to the back. I'll be getting typical implements like forks, grapple, tiller & a 12 foot batwing brush hog.

The local LS dealer has these available:
MT357 Powerclutch Shuttleshift (57hp Engine / 48.4hp PTO)
MT347 Hydrostatic (47hp Engine / 37.6hp PTO)

I would say 95% of my tractor time would be mowing. For simplicity Hydrostatic seems like the way to go but the problem is the MT347 only has 37.6 @ the PTO. Our LS dealer has a 12' Modern AG Predator which requires 40 PTO hp. The nearby New Holland dealer has a 12' Rhino AG TS12 for slightly cheaper and requires 35 PTO hp.

Now I'm sure the MT347 could still pull both on flat areas but my concern would be when I was going up the hills. Of course I would prefer the extra power that the MT357 offers and the price between these 2 models is close enough that it wouldn't influence my decision. I have watched some videos somewhat explaining the Powerclutch Shuttleshift operation and it appears fairly straight forward but obviously more involved than a HST.

One question I have on the Powerclutch Shuttleshift is say for example I put the Range Gear in 3rd & the Main Gear in 3rd with the intent of mowing at 5mph. The RPMs are up for PTO speed. Once I put the shuttle into forward the tractor will accelerate to around 5mph and won't require touching the accelerator pedal to get to or maintain the speed? Therefore since engine RPMs have to stay at a high constant for the PTO I change the Main gear up and down to adjust my speed?

Any advice would be great.

Thanks,
Richard

/ LS MT357 PCT vs MT347 H #2  
I'm buying a 28 Acre property in Oklahoma. The land is a little hilly with elevation variance of about 50 feet from the front to the back. I'll be getting typical implements like forks, grapple, tiller & a 12 foot batwing brush hog.

The local LS dealer has these available:
MT357 Powerclutch Shuttleshift (57hp Engine / 48.4hp PTO)
MT347 Hydrostatic (47hp Engine / 37.6hp PTO)

I would say 95% of my tractor time would be mowing. For simplicity Hydrostatic seems like the way to go but the problem is the MT347 only has 37.6 @ the PTO. Our LS dealer has a 12' Modern AG Predator which requires 40 PTO hp. The nearby New Holland dealer has a 12' Rhino AG TS12 for slightly cheaper and requires 35 PTO hp.

Now I'm sure the MT347 could still pull both on flat areas but my concern would be when I was going up the hills. Of course I would prefer the extra power that the MT357 offers and the price between these 2 models is close enough that it wouldn't influence my decision. I have watched some videos somewhat explaining the Powerclutch Shuttleshift operation and it appears fairly straight forward but obviously more involved than a HST.

One question I have on the Powerclutch Shuttleshift is say for example I put the Range Gear in 3rd & the Main Gear in 3rd with the intent of mowing at 5mph. The RPMs are up for PTO speed. Once I put the shuttle into forward the tractor will accelerate to around 5mph and won't require touching the accelerator pedal to get to or maintain the speed? Therefore since engine RPMs have to stay at a high constant for the PTO I change the Main gear up and down to adjust my speed?

Any advice would be great.

Thanks,
Richard
Yes, you would select a range and a gear to get the speed you want. Yes, you would set the throttle to rpm for 540 PTO speed.

/ LS MT357 PCT vs MT347 H #3  
There are some you tube videos of guys using smaller tractors than either of those models cutting with 12 ft batwings , Tractor time with Tim is one

/ LS MT357 PCT vs MT347 H #4  
HST's advantages are being able to inch the tractor forwards/backwards easily, and easy ground speed changes independent of PTO rpm while mowing. HST will make it easier to use forks and grapple. When I'm using either of those I often move the tractor slowly just a few inches. You can do that with a clutch, it's just harder.

With a 12' mower I expect that you won't be backing up much and turns will be wide? Probably don't need HST for that. If your land is relatively consistently sloped then you won't be needing to make many speed changes, just for the up hill and down hill passes.

If you can, test drive tractors with both kinds of transmission at the dealer. Try to pretend to do work, at least as much as you can.

Attachment HP ratings are part guess and part marketing. Sometimes they are a proxy for tractor weight. With a mower it will depend on what you're mowing and how thick and tall it is. At least with a mower you can slow down if the mower's bogging.

/ LS MT357 PCT vs MT347 H #5  
I have a larger model with power shuttle. It’s really no issue. I grew up running non sync manual clutch tractors. The power shuttle is nice to not have to use a foot petal continuously. For loader work I use the foot clutch and appropriate gear.

Drive both and see what you prefer. I would opt for the higher hp/ weight unit.
Correct on the usage of a manual trans. Your pto is a set determined rpm. From there you adjust your gear selection to obtain a steady workable speed.

/ LS MT357 PCT vs MT347 H #6  
There are HST transmissions with cruise control. If you get a HST, make sure it has that feature.
Otherwise it is a lot of footwork or a manual tranny or preferably one of the many powershift/auto shuttle variations. BTW, did your dealer explain the difference between power shift and shuttle shift? And realize that those are LS terms for a pretty common transmission type but it is called by many different names.
The name "powerclutch" is a new one on me, but I bet it is simply powershift. "Shuttleshift" refers to the ability to throw a lever and go forwards and back in the same gear without clutching. Most powershifts will still also have a manual range that requires stopping and clutching. Then typically you can do clutchless powershifting within that range. Sounds complex, but only takes a few minutes to learn because it is so logical once you do it.

Your description on how the powerclutch shuttleshift works seems good enough. You ought to go try them out right now before going any farther. Everyone will tell you that. Rent if necessary. Take your time buying.
A powershifting shuttle shift might be the most bulletproof transmission ever....but honestly all tractor transmissions are real reliable.

What you might be missing is that with any form of manual or powershift you select a gear and set the throttle for the engine speed you want - and then the engine governor automatically opens and closes the fuel to the engine to maintain that engine speed. It can do that within limits of course. If the hill is too steep going up or the grass too deep you may have to bump the throttle up or down to keep the speed constant....but with enough HP it will stay constant. Of course as the engine lugs or runs freely the PTO will also rise and fall in speed. That's OK. Mowers work pretty well at a variety of speeds. The rated PTO rpm for the engine is where the engine runs most efficiently. It isn't a requirement to run at that speed. In fact, many or even most of us older owners run at less than rated PTO rpm.
good luck,
rScotty