Lubricating Blade Spindles

/ Lubricating Blade Spindles #1  

bmg88201

Gold Member
Tractor
JD X300
I have an X300 and was wondering how often people are greasing the blade spindles. I mow about 60 hours per season and mow about 3 1/2 hours each time I mow. I have been greasing the spindles after every third mow, is that too much or not enough. I have already had to replace the two blade spindles after about 300 hours and I got 500 hours on the mower now. Just wondering.

/ Lubricating Blade Spindles #2  
Mine is a hand me down I got for free with over 750 hours. It's now a little under 1,100 hours and I can't remember if I've ever greased the spindles ... maybe when I first got it a few years ago as I was going through it fixing things. I'm reasonably certain the PO never did. He don't roll that way. Maybe a couple of times if he had the dealer to an annual service. As far as I know, all of the deck parts are original other than belts and blades.

If you're on the second set of spindles in under 500 hours, that ain't good, but I'm not sure it's due to greasing or not.

/ Lubricating Blade Spindles #3  
I think it's like so many things. As long as you do it, at some point. A manufacturer has to give some sort of time line for lubrication but in my opinion, it's never critical. I grease spindles at the beginning of the year and maybe halfway through the season. Should also be done after pressure washing, or should that be before to fill up the voids? Not sure on that really..

Funny, I heard of a mower or brand that has grease fillings on spindles but has lifetime lubed, sealed bearings. So, you never know. Greasing, may be doing absolutely nothing.

/ Lubricating Blade Spindles #4  
On my Kubota ZD1211 I grease all three spindles, the two drive shaft u-joints, deck lift linkage,and the front wheels .. when I fill it with diesel fuel which is every 10 hours. I just give each zerk one pump. Similar on my 84” rear finish mower.

/ Lubricating Blade Spindles
I was asking cause I tend to over lubricate, I don't have any issues with the current spindles. But when I replaced them they were 95$ each !!! Maybe I'm over lubricating, I put two pumps in each one after the third mow which is about 10 hours of use. I know it was a dumb question but I take immaculate care of my stuff and was just wanting others opinions. Thanks for the responses. Oh, when I replaced them, the JD dealer said "Hey, they turn 100,000's of times, they wear out".

/ Lubricating Blade Spindles #6  
Mowing 8 acres, and give two pumps maybe twice a season.. have at least 10 seasons on this deck (455 w/54 deck).. just replaced 1st worn deck belt today.. all three spindles sound great.. but one idler was a bit gravely. Replaced it, and two pumps of grease in the spindles.
Not saying that is the best way, but as long as the grease isn't running out somewhere, not much need that I see to add more.

have already had to replace the two blade spindles after about 300 hours

Aren't the spindles repairable by punching out the old bearings?

Attachments

• 300X_42_deck_spindle.jpg
    300X_42_deck_spindle.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 128
   / Lubricating Blade Spindles #8  
I was asking cause I tend to over lubricate, I don't have any issues with the current spindles. But when I replaced them they were 95$ each !!! Maybe I'm over lubricating, I put two pumps in each one after the third mow which is about 10 hours of use. I know it was a dumb question but I take immaculate care of my stuff and was just wanting others opinions. Thanks for the responses. Oh, when I replaced them, the JD dealer said "Hey, they turn 100,000's of times, they wear out".

You should be able to take them apart and put some parts store bearings in for a few dollars.

/ Lubricating Blade Spindles #10  
I'm not familiar with that model.

On my JD2210, I grease my deck spindles every 6-8 hrs of use. I give each one 8 pumps. I'm 900 hrs in with no replacements or problems.

Mine zerk is in the top end of the spindle shaft. My bearings are replaceable items.

Here's a link showing how mine are assembled.

John Deere Parts Catalog