Lumpy lawn--How to smooth?

/ Lumpy lawn--How to smooth? #1  

Pilot

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 770, Yanmar 180D, JD 420 (not running), had a Kubota B6200
Over the 15 years since we put in our lawn it has gotten pretty lumpy bumpy, thanks to a lot of mole activity.

So, what's the best way to smooth it out again? Or is it even possible to smooth it out without tearing it out & starting over? Will rolling it compact the soil?

It's about a 10,000 sq. ft. lawn, so the method has to be something I can do with a machine--I don't want to do something that will be labor intensive.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

/ Lumpy lawn--How to smooth? #2  
I would get a roller and smooth out during the moist times. If your afraid of compacting then after you think you got it smoothed out take an aerator to it. In fact if you use an aerator then rolling after can be effective also.

And your not going to do it in one or two rollings. Don't do it when it is dry out.

murph

/ Lumpy lawn--How to smooth? #3  
I'm in the same situation: mole ravaged lawn that's difficult to walk on without twisting your ankle. I bought a 24x36 steel roller (600+ pounds when filled with water), and rolled parts of my front lawn twice so far. I wanted to see how much of a difference it would make if I rolled it a day after it rained, and several days after it rained. The difference was pretty apparent, so don't bother rolling unless it's rained in the past day or so. If your lawn doesn't become too soggy, you could even roll a couple hours after it rains.

In my case it'll take at least two full passes to smooth it out decently. I expect to have to do this 2 or 3 times this year because I haven't gone after the grubs that are attracting the moles. My well is under my front lawn, so I've been trying to find that perfect, well-friendly solution to grubs. Nematodes looks like it might be the way to go, but I haven't pulled the trigger yet.

If you can, apply treatment for the grubs, then roll the lawn after the next rain, then core aerate. That seems to be the general advise I've found so far.

/ Lumpy lawn--How to smooth? #4  
CCinCT said:
My well is under my front lawn, so I've been trying to find that perfect, well-friendly solution to grubs. Nematodes looks like it might be the way to go, but I haven't pulled the trigger yet.

CC, if your well is a rock well (a drilled well, with a casing) it does not take in surface water anyway so you can put whatever you want on the lawn.

Tim

/ Lumpy lawn--How to smooth? #5  
TimS said:
CC, if your well is a rock well (a drilled well, with a casing) it does not take in surface water anyway so you can put whatever you want on the lawn.

Tim

Would that info be on the original build plans submitted to the town? All I know about it is that it was drilled about 125 feet.

/ Lumpy lawn--How to smooth? #6  
CCinCT said:
Would that info be on the original build plans submitted to the town? All I know about it is that it was drilled about 125 feet.

If it is 125 feet, it's a drilled well. It really should not be taking in surface water at all - if it is, you're going to have contamination problems which will show up on a water test. If it has been tested recently (when you moved in?) then you should be good to put what you like on the lawn. Which is not to say you should be blowing poison all over the landscape, but something like Merit for grubs would be fine, I think.

Tim

/ Lumpy lawn--How to smooth? #7  
Cheap & easy method #1 (under $100) Fill in depressions with a 50/50 mix of sand and black dirt. Depending on where you are from, some people call this loam or topsoil. This will force the grass to grow up and become level with the rest of the lawn.

Method #2 (this is easy work) Roll as much as possible following the others suggestions. Wet the surface to help spread the dirt. Rolling dry hard dirt is a waste of time. Buy, borrow or rent a roller.

Method #3 To fine tune minor variations under 1", you can thoroughly flood the surface. As the water recedes, the dirt will become more and more level. High spots will gently wash into the lower spots. Doing this only costs the money to run an irrigation pump.

/ Lumpy lawn--How to smooth? #8  
Gordon is taking about the right stuff. Bring in topsoil and level the whole shebang and reseed.:D

/ Lumpy lawn--How to smooth? #9  
You would be amazed at what a Harley power rake could do.

/ Lumpy lawn--How to smooth? #10  
Sand is often used for golf courses. The grass will grow back through it if done is small lifts.

MarkV