Lumpy lawn--How to smooth?

/ Lumpy lawn--How to smooth? #11  
I was looking in the Northern Tools catalog at rollers you could pull behind a lawn tractor. I see they have a Poly Roller and a Steel Roller. Obviously, the steel roller is larger (24"x48" vs 18"x48") plus it's steel so it would be heavier. But would either of these be substantial enough to compact a lawn or would something larger and heavier be needed?

/ Lumpy lawn--How to smooth? #12  
Shimon said:
I was looking in the Northern Tools catalog at rollers you could pull behind a lawn tractor. I see they have a Poly Roller and a Steel Roller. Obviously, the steel roller is larger (24"x48" vs 18"x48") plus it's steel so it would be heavier. But would either of these be substantial enough to compact a lawn or would something larger and heavier be needed?

Get the steel roller. It is a lot heavier 900lbs with water I believe. I have one and yes it is substantial enought to make a big difference if the ground is a bit soft from moisture. Nothing will smooth out dry ground though. We usually roll twice in the spring then drain the roller for another year.

/ Lumpy lawn--How to smooth? #13  
I didn't go the roller route. I used my rear blade w/ gauge wheels to spread sandy loam I got from my creek area. I can set the blade height to where you can just start to hear it tearing the grass, then raise it a hair. After spreading, I just keep diving over it a bit to campact. Then, spread a top coat and leave it. The grass grew thru the fill easily and spread on it's own to fill in.