M7060 Stalls when PTO is Turned On

/ M7060 Stalls when PTO is Turned On #1  

JD5210

Veteran Member
Tractor
5210 MFWD
My neighbor purchased a used M7060 with 1,500 hours. It looks and runs nice. The problem is when he has his 10 foot HD brush cutter on it, which is 4 years old. When he turns the PTO on the engine stalls. The 10 foot works fine on his John Deere 5410 (65 hp at the PTO). The M7060 has 540E on it, but it is set to normal 540. The tractor is neutral, when he tries to turn it on. He has had tractors for 45 years. This is the first Kubota he has owned.

If nothing is attached to the PTO it starts and operates fine.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Last edited:
   / M7060 Stalls when PTO is Turned On #2  
start with safety sensors like seat presence

/ M7060 Stalls when PTO is Turned On #3  
Mikester makes a good point. Is it stalling from the load and some issue with the drivetrain, or is it a safety switch related issue?
Pull the mowers driveshaft and engage the pto and see what happens. It seems that the electric PTO can be "feathered" on my kubota, is it his technique? Maybe a little additional throttle before engaging?

/ M7060 Stalls when PTO is Turned On #4  
I'm going to assume the pto is engaged with a electric switch the same as my 8540m. The problem with stalling arises when you try to engage heavy loads like your mower, I have the same problem with mine. That switch engages the pto instantly and the engine can't handle the instant load and stalls, poor engineering . My other tractors with electronically engaged pto's have a soft start feature which is there to prevent driveline shock and engine stalling, kubota really really should implement a soft start system but so far have not. What I do is run the tractor at 1000rpm and click the pto engagement knob fairly quickly on off on off on off a few times while watching the pto slowly come up to speed then leave on. Basically you manually feather the electronic engagement . After a few try's it becomes easy to do and eliminates the horrendous driveline shock and engine stalling. I'd like to think kubota has the technology to fix this major flaw but so far they haven't .

/ M7060 Stalls when PTO is Turned On #5  
Do a maintenance on the mower (greasing, oil) see if that helps. Seven‘s advice also sounds like something I would try. We have a 7ft rotary cutter and no issues at all.

Is this 10ft a batwing?

/ M7060 Stalls when PTO is Turned On #6  
start with safety sensors like seat presence
The seat presence switch only sounds an alarm on my 7060. Doesn't stop the PTO or kill the tractor. I have not had this issue with mine on a 12' batwing or a 7' rotary. I would think that engagement should be adjustable, as it is a hydraulic clutch. Might have to take a look in the WSM.

/ M7060 Stalls when PTO is Turned On
Thank for the responses. I will share them with my neighbor. It is not a batwing. He keeps his equipment greased.

/ M7060 Stalls when PTO is Turned On #8  
Does the engine sound like it's under load whenever you engage the pto or does the engine just shut off as if the key was turned off?

/ M7060 Stalls when PTO is Turned On #9  
ITs not a safety if it starts and operates fine with nothing attached.

Not familiar with the 7060, but does the clutch disengage the PTO. On my MX, the clutch still disconnects the PTO. Im old fashion. I still like slowly letting the clutch out to engage (softly) a big implement like a rotary cutter. So I push clutch, engage PTO....then slowly start letting out the clutch. Perhaps thats worth a shot

/ M7060 Stalls when PTO is Turned On #10  
The seat presence switch only sounds an alarm on my 7060. Doesn't stop the PTO or kill the tractor. I have not had this issue with mine on a 12' batwing or a 7' rotary. I would think that engagement should be adjustable, as it is a hydraulic clutch. Might have to take a look in the WSM.
Looked in the WSM and the only adjustment is for pressure. It uses a Bellville washer to soften the engagement. Unless the pressure is set too high, it looks like there is no easy remedy. Getting to the clutch requires a split. The solenoid valve is external and if one could reduce the flow to the clutch to slow its engagement that would soften the start. Didn't see any option for that.

Is he trying to engage the PTO at an idle? Maybe he just needs to up the engine RPM.

• Good Post
Reactions: JWR