Making switch from Green to Orange

/ Making switch from Green to Orange #1  

BCinVA

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota MX5400, JD 655, JD 535M, JD425, Exmark Radius S zero turn (Previous JD 4400 HST)
After a long search for a new tractor, I am finally taking delivery of a Kubota MX5400. I currently own a JD 4400 HST that I bought new all the way back in 2000. It has been a great machine and never let me down. I retired and have a list of projects and wanted a backhoe and grapple. By the time I added that to my existing machine, I questioned whether I shouldn't just put that funding toward something new. Since I owned a JD I looked there first. My requirements were an open station HST with at least 40 HP at the PTO. The 4 series JD's were simply not available without going hundreds of miles out of the area. Best promise for a factory order was 6 months. I started talking to a Massey guy about their M28xx series which I really liked. Only problem there was the 2860 is not available in open station HST. When you add and HST to it, you automatically get a cab. The 2855 is gear only. The 2850 was the only option with open station and HST. It came up short on PTO horsepower, but I could have lived with it. Local guy couldn't get it. Same as Deere, 4 to 6 months. So finally last week I called the Kubota dealer about 25 miles away and asked about an MX5400 or MX6000. Just by coincidence he had one coming in. I said I was interested and went down to take a look when it came in. Well, I made a deal and will take delivery either end of this week or first of next week, depending on when they finish putting it together. I opted for two rear SCV's and a 3rd function to run a grapple. I also ordered a backhoe. The backhoe was not in stock and the promised delivery is sometime in February. Hopefully with a customer name against the backhoe it may be expedited a bit. I have never owned a Kubota, but have only heard good things about them. I guess I will find out. I will update when I get it, with impressions and any problems or quirks. If any MX owners out there have words of wisdom, I am open to hear them.

/ Making switch from Green to Orange #2  
Great tractor, as you found out, you were lucky to find something in stock from any one. Enjoy.

Also, I've got the BH with hydraulic thumb. What a difference that sucker makes for me!

/ Making switch from Green to Orange #3  
No backhoe here - no need for one. My M6040 has been a fantastic machine since I bought in new in 2009.

Likewise - you are most fortunate to find that unit in stock.

/ Making switch from Green to Orange #4  
You did luck out. I just ordered a l6060, dealer said a few months

/ Making switch from Green to Orange #5  
Congrats on the tractor purchase. I too think you will like your new tractor.

/ Making switch from Green to Orange #6  
Congrats on the new tractor! I look forward to your feedback (especially coming from green previously).

Mike

/ Making switch from Green to Orange
Time for an update. I took delivery of the MX5400 HST on Monday. It has been raining for two days, but I finally went out and fooled with it just a little this morning. Here are a few first impressions. Overall I really like the machine. I wanted something simple and straightforward, (at least as much as possible in the age of computers and emissions). It has the essentials without too many gadgets to cause problems in the future. With less than an hour in the seat, I am still trying to deal with the differences between this one and the JD I previously owned for over 20 years. As you can imagine, the treadle style control for the HST is the most problematic issue for now. I hope I will soon become acclimated to it, and it will become instinctive. I hurt my right foot pretty bad about a year ago, breaking a bone and destroying a lot of soft tissue, so it is not as flexible as it used to be. I am finding it extremely awkward to try to control the reverse precisely with my heel. I have resorted to lifting the front of the treadle with my toe and that works much better for fine control. Another feature I am not sold on is the loader control on the loader support arm vs mounted on the fender. It is a tall long lever that causes you to have reach up and out. Also there appears to be a lot of free play. I works well and is smooth moving the loader but not the best ergonomics for me. I am already considering bending the lever rod to bring it down and rearward. As with other things I will wait for a while to acclimate and maybe I will change my mind. The steering wheel is a little too upright for my preference. I started looking for the lever to tilt it down some, only to find out it doesn't adjust. Tilt steering is only a feature on cab models. My shop door is too low to get in with the ROPS up, so I tend to change the ROPS position frequently. When I went to put this one down, I found the pin that holds it in position is not only a pin but is threaded and has to be threaded into a nut welded onto the ROPS. It is a real PITA to put these pins in and out. In fact I haven't been able to get the left one in yet in the down position. I will definitely modify this in some way. Those are the main nits I have to pick so far. Overall though I really like the machine and think I will be really satisfied with it. I ordered the backhoe and it probably won't be available until around February according to the current promise. I have the 3rd function for the front. They used a WR Long valve kit for this. I also have two rear remotes. Am attaching a few pics. I am definitely open to tips and comment from other owners.

Attachments

• 20211103_124257.jpg
    20211103_124257.jpg
    6.7 MB · Views: 238
  • 20211103_124309.jpg
    20211103_124309.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 240
  • 20211103_124320.jpg
    20211103_124320.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 217
  • 20211103_124335.jpg
    20211103_124335.jpg
    5.8 MB · Views: 219
  • 20211103_124356.jpg
    20211103_124356.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 202
  • 20211103_124406.jpg
    20211103_124406.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 191
  • 20211103_124415.jpg
    20211103_124415.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 205
  • 20211103_124431.jpg
    20211103_124431.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 243
   / Making switch from Green to Orange #8  
Nice looking machine.

As soon as I read your first post here I worried about the treadle pedal and if you would like it, lol. It's fine for some people, awkward as hell for others. Hopefully you will adapt to it just fine.

Threaded ROPS pins look like a real pain. But good news! This just means you have to build a proper barn now, to store this fancy tractor. With a 9 or 10 foot tall door, haha.

/ Making switch from Green to Orange #9  
Kubota makes good machines but the treadle pedal would be a deal breaker for me. There is an article on TBN about how someone modified their Kubota to be more like your old 4400.

Once you get your ROPS bolts removed, take them to a welder and have a short handle (8") welded to the head. You can use the handle to quickly turn the bolt in and out. If the handle is welded on, on one end gravity will keep it from turning out. There might be warranty issues with this method though.

/ Making switch from Green to Orange #10  
What a great tractor, congratulations BC! I'm going through just the opposite, coming from a Kubota trying to accustom myself to side by side peddles on the Deere 3520. I still find myself briefly going the wrong direction after pushing the wrong peddle, which never occurred on my Kubotas. Or pushing both peddles at the same time which must be common enough that Deere incorporated a flashing light to alert that both were pushed. These mistakes are happening less and I have no doubt I'll become adept with the two peddle system.