Man killed trying to separate PTO shaft with tractor

/ Man killed trying to separate PTO shaft with tractor #2  
Thanks for posting. My thoughts are he had no idea the PTO shaft was stuck enough to flip him backwards. My condolances to his family.

/ Man killed trying to separate PTO shaft with tractor #3  
I presume he had the other end on the PTO shaft on the tractor? Feel bad for the guy and his friends/relatives, but it sounds like an accident just waiting to happen...especially on those older tractors where the PTO sits quite high.

/ Man killed trying to separate PTO shaft with tractor #4  
Pretty normal for the news... No details as to WHY it happened...

SR

/ Man killed trying to separate PTO shaft with tractor #5  
Indeed sad event,thoughts and prayers to family.

/ Man killed trying to separate PTO shaft with tractor #6  
It said pto chained to a tree, tractor flipped over on him.
My doctor who me, wife, and our families doctor grew up in SW Virginia said as a kid riding his bicycle on a country road heard a cry for help, a tractor on top of a farmer. Doctor said there was nothing he could do to save the guy...he died fairly quickly.
My doctor says please be careful...take your time, think about everything you're doing. I chicken out lots of times, or take longer bush hogging going way around then downhill. Better to be a live chicken.

/ Man killed trying to separate PTO shaft with tractor #7  
article said:
NEW ERA, Mich. - A Grand Rapids man was killed in a farming accident Monday evening.

According to the Oceana County Sheriff's Office, it happened at a farm in the 4600 block of South 44th Ave in New Era around 7:20 p.m.

Deputies arrived on the scene and found the 64-year-old -- identified as Gary Mills -- had been operating an older, Oliver tractor on a family member's farm.

It appeared to deputies that Mills was trying to expand a power take off shaft on a mower and had it chained to a tree and to the tractor in an attempt to pull it open. During this time, the tractor flipped over and Mills was killed in the incident.

Assisting at the scene were the Oceana County Sheriff's Office, M.S.P., Shelby-Benona Fire Department, Life EMS and the Oceana Sheriff's Victim Services Unit.

What more information do you want? Maybe where exactly he had the PTO attached to the tractor? PTO output shaft? Chained to another point? Exact measurements?

Stop being so critical of the local reporting. Maybe take it upon yourself to contact the reporter and tell them why exactly it's so important to know each and every detail of what happened, down to the last 1/4" measurement, what rating the chains had, and what the guy had for breakfast.

/ Man killed trying to separate PTO shaft with tractor #9  
It helps to know some details, so some one who "didn't" grow up on a farm, knows the "safe" way to do it.

I hope some folks here don't thing EVERY way to pull a pto shaft apart with a tractor is wrong!

yeaa yeaa, I know we have some safety sally's here that think, IF you aren't doing it (what ever you are doing) THEIR way, it has to be wrong or dangerous!!

SR

/ Man killed trying to separate PTO shaft with tractor #10  
Well we know for sure one way thats a bad idea. To bad safety sally was not able to be there. The guy might still be alive.