Manual tree pole pruner, what's the trick?

/ Manual tree pole pruner, what's the trick? #61  
The problem with the pole saws is that the motor is at the top end making them unwieldy, back breaking and dangerous. A pole saw, gas, battery or electric, with the motor at the operators end would make much more sense.

I suppose the design challenge is transmitting the power to the cutting end while maintaining the telescopic functionality. Not easy to accomplish.

My Stihl Kombi system has the power head at the operator end. Then change attachments like pole saw, broom, weed eater, etc.
it seems like I remember an extension piece that could be inserted to lengthen the reach but not 20 ft worth. More like 10-12’. It’s about 6’ long as is.

/ Manual tree pole pruner, what's the trick? #62  
I have a 16' ECHO gas pole pruner with a 12" bar, and it is a bear to handle at full length, especially if you're stretching for that last extra foot. But it is a brute chain saw for its size. I've used it for 8" limbs and it goes!
The telescoping style of pole saws are quite heavy and the reason we won't use them. They also won't fit in our atv box. We use this style.
boss works98.jpg

/ Manual tree pole pruner, what's the trick? #63  
Approximately sixty years ago, a right of way crew came through the yard and before my elders snatched me away from the great event, I got a glimpse of a worker using the shear on the end of a pole to nibble away at a large branch and cut it. The closest thing I was able to find to that pole pruner should appear at the following link: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09G9TTH5..._product_details#immersive-view_1652926294760
I recently bought that pruner and the problem I'm having is that on the first bite the blade gets caught in the branch and it takes a great amount of manuvering to get it out and take another bite. i've already broken the rope once, trying to cut straight through a large branch. The saw works , but I'd like to lean to use the the nibbling technique with the shear.

If anyone knows the trick to nibbling through a limb with a rope operated pole pruner, please let me know.
Hey Stuck, Have been using a pully operated pruner for long enough to replace the original cord due to age. These are the 4 things I try to consider: 1. thickness of branch--as long as the branch fits in the jaws, it can be cut, even if it means cutting from both sides or multiple angles of attack at the branch, alternating angles or sides, and only cutting deep enough to not jam the blade too deep in the branch. 2. sharpness of blade edge. I read another post about honing cutting edge, the old cutter I use has opposing blades and I do pass a file when there appears to be a problem. (If your edge is too fine, it will curl with hardwood and too much pressure) 3. Angle and reach of cutting position. Try to maintain a safe distance from debris dropping from above, picture spraying a wasp nest from directly below, the wind might blow away the spray. 4. Personnel protection, gloves as use of the rope handle is not always possible, and eye protection unless you have a contact for replacement parts. The old pruner I use only has a single pully, that new-fangled dealeo you linked looks great although it might mean one would have to pull more cord to close the jaws and that would entail grabbing the cord without a handle (use gloves). I wonder if figure eight knots could be tied in the cord to use as grab points without compromising the effective length of the cord? Nibble away and stay safe!

/ Manual tree pole pruner, what's the trick? #64  
Stihl Combi or Trimmer Plus are both good products. The Trimmer Plus attachments will work on the Stihl head. My son has the much more expensive Stihl Combi, but we've used my hedge trimmer, mini-tiller, and pole saw on it. He gave me a few trimmer heads for the Echo system that he thought he could no longer use, which turned out to be a boon for him when he accidentally backed over his brand new trimmer head for his Stihl. Still haven't figured out how that happened, but I have my suspicions. The Echo and Trimmer Plus are virtually identical in the connection, but there does seem to be a slight advantage in the Troy-Bilt brand quality. But, obviously, the higher the quality, the higher the price. But you didn't ask about something you may not have or want. You asked about a manual pole saw.

As for your manual pole saw / pruner, put some grease on the pruning blade pivot on occasion. If you still have the cheap plastic rope on it, go get some 3/8 nylon starter cord, about twice the size of what you find on anything with a recoil starter. It doesn't stretch. Paracord works OK, too, but is smaller and will wear a little faster. You might find some larger paracord if you look long enough. Some of these tools come improperly laced from the factory so that you don't get the compound pull. The end of the cord should be tied to the blade, threaded through the roller at the base of the head, then back through the roller on the end of the blade lever. That doubles the pulling force. The blade will probably take it, but your fingers may not. I've seen many with the rope tied around the roller on the base of the head. There are two rollers for a reason. Keep a piece of 4-inch 3/4 diameter dowel pin with a notch cut around it in your pocket when using the pruning shear. This is not to impress the ladies. A quick clove hitch around the dowel will save your fingers and wrist from some pretty wicked forces that are NOT good for carpal tunnel syndrome or arthritic fingers. Don't snatch. If you're snatching, you're using the wrong tool. Use the saw. Let the weight of the saw do most of the work. The blade is curved for more than one reason. They become very apparent the more you use it. The farther from the trunk you get and the smaller the limb, the less useful the saw is. If the limb is still too big to cut with the pruning shear, you're going to have to find an alternative (see opening paragraph).

A polesaw/pruner is like any other cutting tool. It has to be kept sharp. This isn't really difficult if you hang it up when not using it. The shear is easily sharpened with a common file. A whetstone takes entirely too long for the task the blade is intended, but others may have more patience and less to do than I. I keep my pocketknife razor sharp with a Smith's sharpener system which I do while I'm sitting on the deck having a cool beer and cooling the jets after a day of yard work. Pruning shears get a quick rub with a file, reassembled, and re-tensioned, and put to work. If you protect the blade and don't twist when cutting, there's little danger of dulling it just cutting tree branches. About the only thing that can do that is the blade hitting the anvil or cutting dirty limbs on the ground. Monitor the pivot bolt for wear as that will let the shear wobble and possibly hit the anvil more often. My cheapo saw is at least 30 years old and still going on original blades. Some saps are corrosive (especially hardwoods) so clean them off and put some oil on them before storing them long term. A kerfing tool is not real expensive, and you can actually use a triangle file to sharpen the teeth on the saw rather than just replacing it. Some can't be bothered and just get a new blade. There's something strangely satisfying about seeing a blade I just sharpened slice through something.

/ Manual tree pole pruner, what's the trick? #66  
The problem with the pole saws is that the motor is at the top end making them unwieldy, back breaking and dangerous. A pole saw, gas, battery or electric, with the motor at the operators end would make much more sense.

I suppose the design challenge is transmitting the power to the cutting end while maintaining the telescopic functionality. Not easy to accomplish.
Dewalt has a pole saw that while it still has the motor at the cutting end, the battery is located at the operator's end to better balance it out. I have one, and it's O.K. still unwieldly when extended to its max. 10' reach and the blade gets dull quick.

/ Manual tree pole pruner, what's the trick? #67  
First thing i’d do is put a stiffer spring on it.

/ Manual tree pole pruner, what's the trick? #68  
After years of farting around with trees remotely by myself...

I use a simple action bow and arrow with an attached spinning reel to shoot tethered practice arrows to branches. (I have wasted literally years trying to get a weight through [threw!] a tree crotch.)

I then pull up a string, then a rope (for dropping guidance) or a roped pull chain saw with metal flags for cutter guidance. I can see if it is aligned by the flags (cutters down), and then pull back and forth (a much easier activity) until happy! (By the way - tape up all transitions in string size, etc. for hang-up prevention. Line, string, rope - all need to be twice as long as one would think for retrieval from either side.)

I developed this system for a say, 60 foot 24 inch oak stuck in another crotch 40 foot up. Took a while, but I got it down safely.

/ Manual tree pole pruner, what's the trick?
Moss,
I've attached several photos in the past few weeks with little trouble.

That was then. Now, attaching them is giving me fits. I'm about to try and put up a picture of the shear showing how the line is threaded now. I don't know how it was threaded before it broke. If this doesn't work, I'll try another way.
20220519_140358_remastered.jpg

/ Manual tree pole pruner, what's the trick?
Moss,
I can't describe the problems I had getting that picture up. A pop-up kept telling me the forum didn't like the format of my file. Finally, I saw something that said giff and when I clicked on it the photo was accepted. If you can see a better way to run the line. I'll given it a try. Thanks for the suggestion.
BTW:
Despite the way it looks, that's an anvil pruner not a bypass.
Stuck

Last edited: