Maps and Travel Directions Web Sites

/ Maps and Travel Directions Web Sites #1  

DocHeb

Veteran Member
Tractor
New Holland TC40D Supersteer
I have used Mapquest.com for years to generate small, local maps showing my destinations, and occasionally to get driving directions. However, the Mapquest web site has changed in ways to make it less useful. They got rid of the "bigger map" option, letting you print only a small map that doesn't show enough of the surrounding area. I am looking for a better map site, but haven't had much success. I guess I shouldn't complain (considering the price), but I think I will anyway.

What mapping web site do you use, and why do you use that particular site?

/ Maps and Travel Directions Web Sites #2  
<font color="blue"> What mapping web site do you use, and why do you use that particular site? </font>
Don't use 'em, bought Street Atlas instead.

/ Maps and Travel Directions Web Sites #3  
I'm like Mike. I use a regular atlas while we're traveling, because I've found that it is more accurate for finding your way around detours or finding places of interest that you may have not planned on. Note: I misunderstood what Mike was referring to. I didn't realize he was talking about software!

However, for trip planning purposes, I've used Rv.Com . It's great for laying out your stops and finding places to eat or stay. You start by putting in your starting point and then your destination. Once you've done that, then you can decide what time you want to leave and how far you want to travel until, say, you want stop for lunch. You put in the driving time, say 4 hours, and the program determines where you are, and provides a drop down list of all the eating establishments within a specified distance. It does the same thing for finding hotels, or attractions, or whatever.

Now I must caution on a couple of things. First, although there was no explanation I could find, I believe that all travel times are based on driving a motorhome. Kin of makes sense, huh? But when we were driving our car, we kept arriving at all of the stops way early. I finally figured out that we were able to travel faster than a motorhome, so we awere arriving early. I could find no way of adjusting this feature. Second, you cannot develop alternate routes. So you can't decide if you want to take the fastest route, or the most scenic, or the shortest.

It does provide you with a small map, but as you mentioned, it is not very detailed.

Even with it's limitations, I found it very useful and accurate. It was wonderful for finding accommodations that accepted pets, which something that we did not need but thought we might. It was also nice knowing in advance what eating choices we had at various stops alonmg the way.

/ Maps and Travel Directions Web Sites #4  
I drive a truck and "Streets and trips" by Microsoft is the best i've used. You can buy it at Sams for around $20-25.

/ Maps and Travel Directions Web Sites #5  
Like Mike, I've been using DeLorme's Street Atlas software for years. I also have their EarthMate satellite antenna so I can turn my laptop into a navigation system, like Spencer and others use. Works great. Street Atlas will allow you to tune your preferences to the types of roads you prefer for route maps, adjust the average speeds for different types of roads, and end up with custom trip times to suit your driving. Around $39 for the software, $129 for the satellite antenna and the software (supply your own laptop). They usually come out with a new version about once a year to handle changes in the highways. You can also use a draw feature to add your own roads, and included is database of points of interests and businesses related to travel.

/ Maps and Travel Directions Web Sites #6  
I drive a truck too.

I use my cell phone for directions. Sure beats a map. Customers usually know where they are!!

/ Maps and Travel Directions Web Sites #7  
I use Mapquest also. I print the local map with all the roads. Then I print a regional map witht he highways to that town. No problems using this so far. Last choice is a road map.

/ Maps and Travel Directions Web Sites #8  
Even though Mapquest has changed I still use it a lot or I use Garmin's City Select from my GPS. As far as mapquests smaller maps, they are bigger when you click on print map and then print map again. They still are the full page, just don't use your "File Print Tab". The ones I print off of mapquest even this morning were on a 8-1/2 by 11 paper and it fills the paper up pretty much.

But actually my new Garmin GPSmap60CS, I just do a find address and then tell it to drive me there and I get there with no maps, just a bunch of beeps telling where to go!! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif Now that didn't sound good???

murph